Laggy and slow compared to my SGS II phone! Why?

maven1975

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I cant believe how slow and laggy this is compared to my phone. Even when inputting text as I write this is horrible.

What gives?

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I cant believe how slow and laggy this is compared to my phone. Even when inputting text as I write this is horrible.

What gives?

Really? It has been incredibly snappy for me thus far. Restart or take it back if you keep having issues.

Sent from my tablet/phone...

TuxDotKing

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

What gives?
It's either just a bug which cropped up on yours, or just Honeycomb; Honeycomb is a bit laggy with certain tasks, but if it's just downright unusably laggy, then you might need to try a hard reset on your Tab.

maven1975

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
It has to be honeycomb. I was expecting it to run like gingerbread, but this is my first android tab. It just is not fluid like the sgs ii. Is there going to be am update to honeycomb or will we have to wait for icecream?

One example is how slow the browser is compared to the sgs ii. I can flick and fly on it, but the 10.1 is slow and looks like it is having a hard time keeping up.

tkemack

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
The only lag I notice is when typing in the browser using both Samsung and gb keyboards. Everything else is butter

sent from my OG EVO

maven1975

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Was able to get a replacement, but it acts the same as the first. This is not speedy as it should be. The Atrix runs the same chipset and works circles around the tab when it comes to the browser. I have had the browser lock up on my business website that i am able to run withour issue on my sgs ii. Its like this thing has poor memory management or has been seriously underclocked to meet better battery life advetisements,

To be fair, except for the differences in os'es and their maturity,mit runs on par with ipad 2. And yes, the ipad 2 crashes on the same business website. I feel that safari is a pile of crap and the android browser is leauges better on most devices. Even without flash.

accordngs

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Mine was a bit laggy for a bit....then i removed the beautiful widgets live wallpaper and been much better since. That thing was killing my tabs performance.

anon(368343)

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
Mine was a bit laggy for a bit....then i removed the beautiful widgets live wallpaper and been much better since. That thing was killing my tabs performance.

I've noticed that there are some Widgets out there that kill performance. One that bugged me the most was the news360 widget. I put 2 on the same page with different categories and brought the tab to its knees. Just be concious of what apps and Widgets you install.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Maybe try a different browser and see if the performance is better?

It'll be the same for other browsers as well. It's not just a Samsung issue, it's Honeycomb. I had the same lag issues with the browser on my Acer.
Someone posted a fix, but doing so will not allow you to view YouTube videos.

Serious

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
It'll be the same for other browsers as well. It's not just a Samsung issue, it's Honeycomb. I had the same lag issues with the browser on my Acer.
Someone posted a fix, but doing so will not allow you to view YouTube videos.

Could you please link me to it? I don't mid not watching YouTube videos from the browser. Thanks.

TuxDotKing

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

Just a heads up; it may get rid of the typing lag, but it will make browsing choppier and make your CPU work harder while browsing. Basically, what it does is turn off hardware acceleration, and the reason typing get more responsive is because of the way the keyboard is composited on top of the browser.

A better explanation, from that same thread:

OpenGL is the hardware acceleration library for Android. For an application like the browser, there can be two implementations of the "drawing" code for the application. If you wanted to draw some text on the screen, you could use either a bunch of standard text widgets, or you could render the text like a game would - with OpenGL. OpenGL lets you do things that a game would want to do, like scroll the text, rotate it, scale it, etc.

The OpenGL implementation of the browser would be much faster, and lets the device offload a lot of the graphical elements to the GPU.

Perhaps the problem here is that the keyboard (not OpenGL) is being composited on top of the OpenGL browser. That compositing implementation may be borked, or may be done in the CPU rather than the GPU.

So: Who's fault is it? Hard to say. It could be Google's implementation of compositing, or it could be the hardware vendors' (Samsung or Nvidia) implementation of OpenGL for their hardware.

I wonder if other OpenGL apps do the same thing. Someone find a game or graphic intensive application that also uses the stock keyboard and see if you get lag there, as well.

Reactions: Serious

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo