Back camera - why 3mp?

kitster

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
So, I have had the 10.1 for 5 days now, and am loving it more and more every day. I almost took it back after 1 day, but I am glad I didn't. It is a very nice tablet for sure. I test-drove the HTC Flyer for two weeks before the Tab. Loved it, but it was too small.

Anyway, I noticed the Movie Studio that comes with Honeycomb, and got very excited! I couldn't wait to take some movies and start mixing them up a little. So, I took two videos and quickly found out the 3mp shooter on the back is garbage. Photos are fine. I guess. But the video aspect of it is absolutely horrible. Even in fantastic light, the video was grainy and useless.

My question is - with such a fantastic tablet. Light, sleek, powerful - but why throw in such a lightweight "main" camera? I have heard that the front camera is all that counts for tablets, and Samsung has done us a solid with a 2mp shooter - and that is fine - but even these mid-level 7 inch tablets are packing at least 5mp back cameras.

I have also tried to import movies from other sources for use in Movie Studio and got an error saying the video couldn't be used in the application.

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I was dissapointed when they decided to change the rear cam from 8mp to 3mp also..
They took out a few things to officially make it the *world's thinnest tablet* to beat the ipad 2 lol

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
The original used to be an 8MP shooter, but they switched it out for a 2MP to bring the cost down and make the hardware slimmer.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if that's the price we pay for having a slim device. The iPad2 is also slim, and it has a poor quality camera as well.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Not sure if that's the price we pay for having a slim device. The iPad2 is also slim, and it has a poor quality camera as well.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Not only that, but these devices aren't "subsidized" like phone devices are, so there has to be some consideration as to what hardware specs will matter most consumers, while still keeping the price affordable enough that people will actually buy it.

Most people don't use tablet to take pics
. We have camera phones for that.

Even if you don't like or agree with this statement...that's probably what the manufacturers considered.

Just my 2?

monsterenergy22

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I agree that the camera is pretty crappy, but its not always the megapixels that make or break the quality of a mobile camera, it all depends on the sensor that is used.

Unklekeg

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I find that the camera is better than the ipad2's in both stills and video. In the out doors the video is pretty good. What I want to know is where do the videos export to out of Movie Studio. Is anyone using this? I google that question and come up dry.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phantom3SE