1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Unhappy WiFi slow to toggle

Pretty happy with my Tab 10.1 so far, but I've noticed a curious behavior with the wifi. After the device has been unused for a while, the wifi has lost its association (normal) but it doesn't re-establish one. I've seen this on other Android devices and usually just togging it on and off fixes it (the app does this automatically.)

The trouble is, togging it off takes a long time (like several minutes) no matter how it's done (Wifi Fixer app, settings menu, extended control widget.) The settings menu says it is "disabling wifi" but it doesn't actually happen. Eventualy it finally toggles off, and then can immediately be toggled back on and re-connect (although frankly it's faster to just turn the thing off and back on.)

Anybody else seeing behavior like this? Anybody have a solution?

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB

I am having the same issue, but unfortunately I haven't found a solution either.....

How long does it usually take for wifi to "lose association"? I ask because mine never has...
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

It's a configuration option under "Settings > Wireless & networks > Wi-Fi disconnect policy." Yours may be set to never disconnect (which might avoid this issue but eat battery), or you may be automatically reconnecting so fast you don't notice (which is how things should work.)

Global Posts
    372 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock

Default Re: WiFi slow to toggle

Marc has a good suggestion, otherwise try holding the power button down and selecting airplane mode then again to turn it back on. Is that any faster? I use that to save battery if I'm not using wifi and it seems pretty quick to act.

Global Posts
    384 Global Posts

In all honesty restore the tab. And use without importing anything. Then you will know.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcVH View Post
    It's a configuration option under "Settings > Wireless & networks > Wi-Fi disconnect policy." Yours may be set to never disconnect (which might avoid this issue but eat battery), or you may be automatically reconnecting so fast you don't notice (which is how things should work.)
    Quote Originally Posted by scaots View Post
    Marc has a good suggestion, otherwise try holding the power button down and selecting airplane mode then again to turn it back on. Is that any faster? I use that to save battery if I'm not using wifi and it seems pretty quick to act.
    OK...this just happened to me for the first time. Just to clarify, my wifi disconnect settings ARE already set to "never disconnect", but when I went to wake up my Tab just a little while ago, I noticed there was no Internet connection. When I clicked on WIFI settings, it just said, "disabling wifi" (and all of the wifi settings buttons were grayed out), but it didn't appear to actually be doing anything. I have no idea WHY it would have been started a wifi disconnect in the first place. Based on my TweetDeck timeline, the network had been connected just 20 minutes prior, so even though the tab had been idle for about 3 hours, this was obviously something that had happened at some point within 20 minutes of my picking the tab up to unlock it and start using it.

The first thing I tried was toggling airplane mode on and then off, but that was ineffective. After waiting about 4 or 5 minutes, I just shut the tab down and restarted it, which did restore the wifi connection.

I got my tab Tuesday night, it's been connected to wifi pretty much the entire time from then until now, and this is first time I've noticed this "bug". Very strange.

ROM
    Rooted - that is all....

I haven't had any issues losing my connection but establishing one. I take my 10.1 from home to work, I have it on both wifi networks. It's gotten so irritating now that once it looses say my home network, it just waits until I wake it up to even try to re-establish a connection to my work or even back at home. I have it set to never turn off wi-fi and my old 7.0 would instantly connect to the house network when I got home. I'd just pull in with the car and email alerts would go off as it reconnected.

This 10.1, if I forget to wake it up, it sits there and does nothing. I want it to always scan and connect.