1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Extending the USB power cable - Can you do it?

Can you extend the length of the USB charging cord using a regular USB extension cord?

Anyone done this?
    Safe? Effective?

Thanks!
    P

Default Re: Extending the USB power cable - Can you do it?

I have when I had an ipad. I had a ridiculous long USB extension and it worked fine. So I would guess if this worked with an apple product pretty much anything goes.
    Banned

Global Posts
    626 Global Posts

yes. you can even buy a coupler and a dual end usb cable. i believe there is a length limitation, but it is around 300' or so.

I plan on ordering an extension from this site.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by cdf3; 06-26-2011 at 11:01 PM.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks guys! I'm going to get one....

After reading the question I looked for and found a two foot usb extension cable I have had for years. Worked fine with my 10.1.

Why is the USB cable soooo short? 3ft is almost useless for me.

I can barely use while connected to my laptop as it normally sits on my desk. Forget about reaching the wall outlet behind my desk.

Adding a 6ft extension makes it too long! Arghh! Why not provide a 6ft cable Samsung?!

Quote Originally Posted by markp99 View Post

I can barely use while connected to my laptop as it normally sits on my desk. Forget about reaching the wall outlet behind my desk.

Adding a 6ft extension makes it too long! Arghh! Why not provide a 6ft cable Samsung?!
    The chord on my Acer was short as well. I'm not sure why they are making them so short.

Quote Originally Posted by cdf3 View Post
    The chord on my Acer was short as well. I'm not sure why they are making them so short.

The shorter the cable, the cheaper to manufacture.

Quote Originally Posted by markp99 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by cdf3 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by dmcman73 View Post
    The shorter the cable, the cheaper to manufacture.
    Bingo!

Seriously though, I'd be less upset about it probably if they didn't decide to use a proprietary connector in the first place.

I'm not sure about power, but I know for data over USB, it was recommended to use a max cable length of 16 ft. I least that's what I think it was when I read about it some years ago.
    Banned

Global Posts
    626 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by paintdrinkingpete View Post
    Bingo!

Seriously though, I'd be less upset about it probably if they didn't decide to use a proprietary connector in the first place.

I'm not sure about power, but I know for data over USB, it was recommended to use a max cable length of 16 ft. I least that's what I think it was when I read about it some years ago.
    16' is probably the right answer. I said 300' but that is for a CAT V cable on ethernet.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

FAIL. I bought a USB extension cable and it didn't work. Is there some extra special kind of extension cable i should buy??