Can you extend the length of the USB charging cord using a regular USB extension cord?

Anyone done this?
    Safe? Effective?

Thanks!
    P
    06-26-2011 02:01 AM
    I have when I had an ipad. I had a ridiculous long USB extension and it worked fine. So I would guess if this worked with an apple product pretty much anything goes.
    06-26-2011 10:10 AM
    yes. you can even buy a coupler and a dual end usb cable. i believe there is a length limitation, but it is around 300' or so.
    06-26-2011 10:57 AM
    I plan on ordering an extension from this site.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/e?l...token=y6JjgpjK

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk
    06-26-2011 02:09 PM
    Thanks guys! I'm going to get one....
    06-26-2011 04:43 PM
    After reading the question I looked for and found a two foot usb extension cable I have had for years. Worked fine with my 10.1.
    06-27-2011 12:22 AM
    Why is the USB cable soooo short? 3ft is almost useless for me.

I can barely use while connected to my laptop as it normally sits on my desk. Forget about reaching the wall outlet behind my desk.

Adding a 6ft extension makes it too long! Arghh! Why not provide a 6ft cable Samsung?!
    06-27-2011 08:10 AM

I can barely use while connected to my laptop as it normally sits on my desk. Forget about reaching the wall outlet behind my desk.

Adding a 6ft extension makes it too long! Arghh! Why not provide a 6ft cable Samsung?!
    The chord on my Acer was short as well. I'm not sure why they are making them so short.

06-27-2011 09:21 AM
    The chord on my Acer was short as well. I'm not sure why they are making them so short.

The shorter the cable, the cheaper to manufacture.
    06-27-2011 09:29 AM

The shorter the cable, the cheaper to manufacture.
    Bingo!

Seriously though, I'd be less upset about it probably if they didn't decide to use a proprietary connector in the first place.

I'm not sure about power, but I know for data over USB, it was recommended to use a max cable length of 16 ft. I least that's what I think it was when I read about it some years ago.
    06-27-2011 12:58 PM
    Bingo!

Seriously though, I'd be less upset about it probably if they didn't decide to use a proprietary connector in the first place.

I'm not sure about power, but I know for data over USB, it was recommended to use a max cable length of 16 ft. I least that's what I think it was when I read about it some years ago.
    16' is probably the right answer. I said 300' but that is for a CAT V cable on ethernet.
    06-27-2011 01:27 PM
    FAIL. I bought a USB extension cable and it didn't work. Is there some extra special kind of extension cable i should buy??
    06-28-2011 07:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD