1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Printing options?

I have numerous printers at work that I would like to print from. Can device drivers be downloaded ? Is anyone doing this? Will the USB adapterwork to plug in my printers? (Wireless isn't an option unfortunately). Any help would be appreciated!

Default Re: Printing options?

What kind of printers are they? I have Sharp MFP's in the office that I have created some cloud printing options for but it isn't quite the ideal solution I am looking for.

Basically I have to put the document into DropBox or Google Docs and then I can log into them from my MFP and print them out.

I believe there are some other solutions for Sharp MFP's as well or in the process of being released soon. In the interest of full disclosure I do work for Sharp so I can't really speak for any other manufacturer's brand.

Some other possibilities might be a print application that is configured to work with any printer and use PJL or PCL to send a document to the RAW printing port of the printer (generally 9100). Some printers may support print through email or print through FTP as well. I plan on working on some of those options soon but haven't had the time yet.

I have installed the pay app "PrinterShare" which lets you print to any WiFi printer. It's just okay. It definitely has limitations and the interface isn't the most polished. In terms of email, it will only print Gmail. I wouldn't call it a solution though.

Are there any applications which allow printing to wireless print servers like the airport express? I have an HP 1200 laser that I would love not to have to turn on my laptop to get the cloud printing to work.

I was using Google Cloud Print, but it prints extra pages and doesn't keep the formating in excel docs, so a nice 3 page reports turns into 11 pages (9 for the 3 divided into thirds, 1 for a title page for some reason, and the a trailing page with useless "Excel" written right in the middle)

HP makes "e-print" printers that allow you to set up an email account to send a document to so it automatically prints the attachment,

just be sure your email does not have a logo that sometimes shows up as an attachment, that can waste paper as well
    One Stone At a Time