oil mark?!

Brordrenn

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone. I've had my samsung galaxy tab 10.1 for a little over a week, and it seems to ever so often get this 'oil mark' effect on the screen (well under the screen). It will only appear after some use of it and im not sure if it is suppose to happen. Do you guys think I should return it for a new one? Also a side note you only really can see it in certain angles.

Thanks in advance.

jjtoubia

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
When I picked mine up last week, I had the same thing in the middle of the screen. I could push on it and make it smaller but it was always present. My plan was to just exchange it but then I dropped the Galaxy Tab and scratched the side and exchanging was no longer an option. I haven't thought about that oil/bubble/water for a few days since but after seeing this post I looked again and it is no longer visible! For what it's worth.

mangino

May 12, 2011
Visit site
The first one I picked up had the same oily-looking splotch in the center of the screen. Only visible at certain angles. I returned it and got another.

DonnaJ415

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
That actually happened to me this weekend after reading a kindle book in the sun for couple hours. after letting my tab cool down it went away but I am still a little concerned....

Sent by my Bad A$$ SGT10.1

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I can make this show up if I press on the screen hard, and it's only visible if the screen is off. I've noticed this before on other large touchscreen devices that use Gorilla glass (or something similar).

If the mark is showing up on it's own (or when device gets hot) there may be an issue, but I don't think there is one if it only shows up when you press on it.

ccm435

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I actually have this issue now after about two weeks with the device. We took a trip up the mountains here in Utah, and I saw this getting bigger and bigger in the center of the screen. Now we are home and its gotten a little smaller. Tomorrow is day 14, and on the back of my best buy receipt it says I have 14 days to exchange/return this device. So tomorrow I will be making a trip to my local Best Buy to get it exchanged. I put this thing in a case the day I got it, and I keep it ANALLY clean. So there is no reason they should give me any sh&# exchanging it.

-c4

Brordrenn

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Ya i got mine at best buy and i returned it to them on thursday (which was my 13th day with it) for a new one. They let me exchange it with no hassle, so they should do the same for you. Also so far i have yet to have it happen again so here is hoping that only a small amount have this problem. :)

ccm435

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Well my exchange went smooth. It was my 14th day, and they exchanged it no problem. I even took the opportunity to get the 32gb version and pay a little more. When I originally purchased the 16gb it was on release day and no one had anymore in stock except for one Best Buy who's truck came late had some 16gb. Since most of my stuff is on the cloud really didn't make a difference, but now that I've seen how nice the screen is I've been putting some ripped bluray flicks on the device. So 32gb now makes sense. Thanks Best Buy.

cm-

iamkevski

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Well my exchange went smooth. It was my 14th day, and they exchanged it no problem. I even took the opportunity to get the 32gb version and pay a little more. When I originally purchased the 16gb it was on release day and no one had anymore in stock except for one Best Buy who's truck came late had some 16gb. Since most of my stuff is on the cloud really didn't make a difference, but now that I've seen how nice the screen is I've been putting some ripped bluray flicks on the device. So 32gb now makes sense. Thanks Best Buy.

cm-
fwiw mine did this on day 2 of owning it. It was heat related from being in the car in 100 degree plus temps for 20 minutes while i ran an errand. When i saw it, i held the screen up to the ac vent in the car and it went away in about 20 seconds.

ccm435

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
fwiw mine did this on day 2 of owning it. It was heat related from being in the car in 100 degree plus temps for 20 minutes while i ran an errand. When i saw it, i held the screen up to the ac vent in the car and it went away in about 20 seconds.

It started out that way, but after a couple days of seeing that it then wouldn't go away. In fact it started to grow even bigger and bigger each day. Tried cooling it. Heating it up again, then cooling it. Nothing fixed it after a bit. Hope your case is different, and it doesn't come back. If I was you I wouldn't risk it. I'd exchange it before your time is up. My new 32gb (well its a couple weeks old now) hasn't ever showed that oil spot on it at all.

-cm

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
This happened to me one day when it was hot outside.
It eventually went away when I returned home to cooler temps inside.
I've had mine for over a month, so no return for me.
I hope it doesn't happen again.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
That mark you guys are referring to is the LCD glass coming in contact with the digitizer glass. There is a sheet of glass (digitizer) that is placed over the actual LCD screen, the digitizer is what senses where your finger is on the screen. When the two glasses touch, you get that "oil" look to it.

NHLou

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I just got the "oil mark" on my screen. I was in a room that was quite warm. Have people been experiencing this issue? Will it go away or should I try and get a replacement?

dlaluan

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I had the same thing in the middle of the screen. But when I brought it in to Verizon the next day to have it replaced, it disappeared and I haven't seen it since. Its been a couple days and will monitor it. So far so good. It almost seemed like my case was causing the moisture to appear when I had it covered for a long period of time.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Here is my thought on this since it just happened to me while i was outside with it for a bit.

It seems that the issue is one of two things:

1. There is a vacuum effect going on. When the device heats up a vacuum is created between the digitizer and the lcd screen causing them to touch which in turn causes this "oil mark". The fact that it is happening in the middle, where there is no support, is a strong indication that this is happening.

2. There is something internally that is expanding due to the heat causing the lcd to be pushed outwards causing the two screens to touch. I doubt this is the cause but still could be a possibility.

I am confident that it is a vacuum that is being created between the two screens that is causing this. If so, this can be corrected. The Tab can be taken apart and using a small needle like a sewing needle, pierce some holes in the glue or double back tape that joins the digitizer and LCD together. This would allow air to come in and eliminate the vacuum. The smaller the holes, the less chance any type of dust will get in there.

NHLou

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I had the same thing in the middle of the screen. But when I brought it in to Verizon the next day to have it replaced, it disappeared and I haven't seen it since. Its been a couple days and will monitor it. So far so good. It almost seemed like my case was causing the moisture to appear when I had it covered for a long period of time.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

The oil mark has disappeared from my Tab as well and has not come back. I was in a room that was pretty warm when this happened so, hopefully this was a single incident. I was thinking the combination of the case and holding it in my hand may have caused the problem as well.