Case Review: Samsung Bookcover case vs. Roocase

LaTuFu#AC

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I recently purchased the Roocase Ultra-Slim folio case from Amazon. I also purchased the Samsung Bookcover case from the Samsung site.

I've had both for a few days now, and thought I would share my thoughts on them.

The Roocase:
Pros: Good looking, versatile, velcro feet on the edges to allow it to be its own stand. Great protection, all sides of the tablet are protected in the case. The price is not bad, compared to others with the features it offers

Cons: Adds bulk to the tablet. If you like the light design of the tab, this case will cancel that out. Cutout for the camera is not big enough. It creates a "finger in the bottom of the picture" effect. Granted, the tab does not have the greatest cam in the world, but this pretty much eliminates it as a useful feature with this case. You can't charge the tab or use the 30-pin port for accessories with the case closed. (Or with its feet velcro'd to the base for upright viewing, for that matter)

Samsung Bookcase:
Pros: Great looking case. Much sleeker than the Roocase. Nice magnetic clasp closure that "snaps" over the case to secure it closed.

Cons: Some of the edges of the tablet are exposed, even when the case is closed. The 30-pin port can't be accessed with the case closed with this one, either, but you could invert the tab in the case to use it while charging or for usb connection, if you wanted to use it upright. The price is pretty high for a case this "simple". I was able to get it for a nice discount from the Samsung site, which made it more reasonable. Full price, its pretty steep, IMO.

Which one do I like best? I've been using the Roocase the longest, it had a 3 day headstart on the Samsung. I really thought I would stick with the Roocase because of the velcro feet, and the fact that I like to read a lot with the tab in my lap. But the samsung case flips around, and the clasp closure does a good job of acting as a foot for angled viewing.

I have a few more days before I have to return one of them. At this point, I'm leaning towards keeping the Samsung case. I don't really have a negative on the Roocase that makes it a bad case, I like it okay. If you like a "full coverage" case, this one is nice. But the camera opening is a poor fit, and I like the sleek size of the Samsung a little better.

It boils down to personal preference, I think. If you want a case that offers full protection and gives you a Moleskine notebook/Pad Folio look, the Roocase is a good pick.

If you like the sleek rubberized/soft touch look of a slimline case, the Samsung case is a winner.

Grab the Samsung case from their main site with coupon code GOOGLEIO2011 while it is still valid. It's good for 30% off on accessories. (media docks and keyboard docks qualify, too)

Reactions: ryank007

Stormhead77

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Totally agree with your assessment of the Samsung case. I just received mine today and used that 30% off code as well. Without the code, this would have been too steep for a case. My only complaint is the inability to charge with the case closed, but otherwise I like it very much. It does add some weight to it for sure, but keeps its slim figure. If only I could do the same! ;-)

I'll be taking it through the paces of the next few days, but I must say I do like it and don't expect to return it for anything else.