09-02-2012 07:38 PM
- - The startup sound and animation are different.
- System message boxes look different.
- The default keyboard looks different.
- It now has the water drop sound hated by so many Galaxy S III owners, but at least the volume is not annoyingly loud on the Galaxy Tab 2.
I'll have to dig deeper to see what downsides, if any, came with this update.
As a pleasant surprise, the three accessibility-related bugs I reported to Samsung when I first got the tablet are fixed in this update so the Galaxy Tab 2 (at least the 10.1 inch version) can be used by blind users now. Take that iPad!07-11-2012 12:56 PM
- The update adds the elusive (and pointless) Face Unlock. It doesn't add the more useful Smart Stay feature from the GS III.
Also, a slight bummer and slightly off-topic, either Samsung pulled the update or it is for the 10.1-inch model only. I grabbed my mom's Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 this evening expecting to download the update like I got in my 10.1 model at noon. No update available for the 7.0 model.07-11-2012 10:15 PM
- I received a firmware update notice yesterday for my tablet. I suspected that it might be a Samsung update to disable search on the local device. I searched everywhere I could, including here, for information about this update. I already have 4.0.4.
I backed up everything, just to be sure. I then tried a local search, and it was indeed disabled.
I ADVISE YOU NOT TO DOWNLOAD THIS "UPGRADE" UNLESS YOU WANT TO LOSE CAPABILITIES ON YOUR DEVICE.
This update and the way is was handled tells me several things:
1. Even if you don't own an Apple device, you are still under their thumb.
2. If Samsung really wants to get out a firmware update, they can do so in DAYS, not MONTHS.
3. Samsung is willing to push updates out to its customers without providing any information or advance notice concerning the update, its contents, or its purpose. At least when Windows pushes out an update, MS tells you what is being updated and why.
To tell you the truth, I never used local search until yesterday. All I know is it worked before the update, but it doesn't work after the update.
I am going to try and restore my device, and refuse any further updates. If this means I miss JB, it means I miss JB. It's the principle of the thing. I don't like things that happen behind my back without my knowledge or consent.
I am so angry right now. I am reconsidering my relationship with Samsung as a customer, going forward. Until today, I have had nothing but good to say about the company and its products, but if this is the way it is going to support its customers, then they are not going to get any more of my business.07-27-2012 06:58 AM
- If you accidentally installed this update, here's a way to restore it.
[SPRINT] New 2nd update kills search functionality? FIX Available - xda-developers
If you want the fix to be permanent, you have to root your device, which I haven't done yet. Otherwise, you will have to keep reinstalling this every time you boot.07-30-2012 06:08 PM
- So I have had the updated installed for about a month and I just noticed that I can add shortcuts to the lockscreen just like my SIII. Not sure how I missed that option before, but if you are using the stock slide lockscreen you can customize 4 apps. I wish I could find a change log from 4.0.3 to 4.0.4 from Samsung to see what else I am missing out on.
Better yet, they should just give us 4.1 instead!08-27-2012 01:30 PM
- Anyone notice that adobe Flash wont update on their device?
I tried watching an iplayer last night & I was notified that I require an update.
The recent Samsung update:
Cons: The dreaded drip sound & larger qwerty keyboard & larger web browser bar.
Also, how do you change the 4 apps in the lock screen?
Cheers09-01-2012 11:22 AM
- I received this update at the weekend and it seems to cause big problems with the default browser on my tab 2 10.1 and also my tab 2 7.0. Basically kinetic scrolling has become intermittent and when trying to access my bookmarks I am presented with a black screen which seems to hang for maybe a minute before presenting me with the bookmarks list.
The update notes specified that the update related to All Share Play but made no mention of changes to your keyboard or sound settings. I tried a full restore of my 10.2 tab but it made no difference.
I have spoken to my retailer where I purchased it from and they advised me to speak to Samsung support tomorrow to see what solution they provide. I won't hold my breath for a decent solution.09-02-2012 07:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD