'about blank' on my homepage

Ron Fife

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
The only work around I've found is not to use the back button. Use the home button to close browser and then the task manager to really close the browser. When opening again it'll go to the last webpage.

Last edited:

gcatkids

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Same trouble here. I cleared my data and cleared the internet cache but to no avail.
I have also set the homepage aarrgh! I have not tried the factory reset but based
on the previous comments, I do not see the point. Seriously frustrating as I no longer
feel comfortable accessing certain sites because I can't exit my browser. I dont believe the
task mgr. truely closes the broswer as i have pulled it up after closing only to be
still logged into sites where i do not allow the log in information to be memorized
by my tablet. Hope this is remedied soon!!!

donuts59

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same problem since the update. About blank in the address box. Not sure what to do to remove it.
I am also in the UK

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Same issue here. No remedy and talking with Samsung is useless. Having USB issues as well. Getting help from Samsung is like p******ng into the wind.

Best solution, sadly to say, get an iPad, they just work! (wife has an iPad2 so I know the differences and limitations). Bought Samsung for a specific purpose and that functionality is now gone with 4.1.1 update. Right now contemplating going back to 4.0.4 even though it will void the warranty. Might not matter anyway as I've had it since May of 2012 so it's just about up anyway.

Just my $.02

Lramsay7

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm in Canada and having the same problems. Did the update as requested and now having problems with about:blank, can't see videos that require Java, and having problems with Flash player.

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
"Flash" you can fix. Google the Adobe Flash archives, then scroll down to the latest one for Android 4.X. Load it and it will work with the stock browser. I also have Dolphin browser and it won't work with it. Have heard it will work with FireFox browser but haven't tried it myself. No clue about Java and supposedly, at least according to someone I talked with at Samsung, they have sent the "about blank" problem to Android to get a fix.

Problem is, by the time they get a fix, then send the fix to Sammy and Sammy get's it out to us (if they think we're worthy), I'm old enough I may have assumed "room temperature" by then.

Dirt_Racer_3

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
This is how I got rid of the about:/black page on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1.....I have been having the same problem out of my tablet and I just got it....First off go to settings and go to set homepage....Click on other and type in the address you want to be your homepag.....Then after you set your homepage click on bandwidth management....Click on Preload Search Results and set it to never....After that click on Page Preloading and set it to never also.....Solved my problem hope it will yours...

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
This is how I got rid of the about:/black page on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1.....I have been having the same problem out of my tablet and I just got it....First off go to settings and go to set homepage....Click on other and type in the address you want to be your homepag.....Then after you set your homepage click on bandwidth management....Click on Preload Search Results and set it to never....After that click on Page Preloading and set it to never also.....Solved my problem hope it will yours...

This is a new take which sounds like the right approach. Please confirm that you are using Jelly Bean (4.1.X) and not ICS or older

Spikes

John Fenuccio

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Just got the Tab 2 last week and having this same frustrating issue. I saw this potential fix and was excited, however after doing all 3 options like you stated, it still opens up to the "about:blank" after tapping the "internet" app on the mainscreen. Any ideas tips or tricks to explore next?

txaspeat

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I cant believe samsung or google or whoevers responsible for this mess up havent given an explanation as to what the 'about blank' page is for and why theyve put it on.
when it first happened I did loads of googling and found old posts from years ago from people using windows 98 and ME that had encountered it and the reckoning then was that it was a kind of adware virus designed to direct you to a certain page when you were browsing the internet, thats why I got so panicky about it when it happened.
surely it cant be anything dodgy with it coming after an official update from the manufacturer though.
I thought the idea of these tablets was personalisation, making it suit the owner etc, so why put a browser on that gives the user no control over its homepage?
ive deleted the stock browser icon from my homepage and use opera for browsing, I like the speed dial homepage layout.
would like to see a solution for this mess-up though!

jeffrok

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
I have yet to see this problem on my USA Tab 2 10.1.. It must be noted that I don't use the default browser- I usually use Chrome without issues.

pat36a

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, this worked me -ended my 5 days of post update annoyance !!

Great how folks on forums help others out - cheers.

I spoke too soon!!

Just returned to my tab and "about blank" is back again !! .... - and more annoyingly the cure no longer works !!!!

whoa its len 2

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site

Tried this but it doesn't work for me.

Linda King

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Since the Jelly Bean update yesterday, I have the 'about blank ' issue on my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1. I also have an issue with the S pen not working in certain apps (the very apps I want the S pen for in fact). I really wish I hadn't installed the update and had stayed with ICS. It appalls me that despite the fact that this about blank thing was flagged up back in November, they are still rolling out the wretched jb update, bugs and all! I have failed to find any instructions for rein
stalling ICS, so it seems I am stuck with this. It's enough to make you buy an ipad, dammit!

doczhi

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I recently had this problem as well on my S3 on JB 4.1.2. I did the following to resolve it:-

1. From the opened "about: blank" page, tap on the "1" tab in the top right hand corner (I believe the "1" means page 1 or that there is only one page opened on your browser)
2. A minimised page 1 (ie. the "about: blank" page) appears; from this page 1 create a page 2 with your preferred homepage.
3. Delete the minimised page 1 (by tapping the minus (-) button).
4. Tap the remaining (minimised) page 2 (which should now be your only page), it will return to normal-size page.
5. Go to settings and choose "current" as your homepage.
6. You should then be able to get back your preferred page as your homepage.

Hope it works for you guys (for those who still haven't resolved it)!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34