Looking to transition from iPad 2

PDADoctor

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I just swapped my iPhone 4S for a Samsung Galaxy S III, and I'm very happy with the Android OS, so I've decided to go all-in and get a tablet as well.

I was in AT&T while purchasing my S III and saw the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1. I played with it for a bit and liked it, but wanted to know if there was anything I should be aware of before committing to it. Whatever I end up with has to have 3G or 4G as well as WiFi.

I also just found out about the Galaxy Note 10.1.

I'm looking to pull the trigger this week, so any input or feedback would be helpful! I liked my iPhone/iPad, but I'm happy to be freeing myself from Apple's restrictive universe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SamsungGalaxySII

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I just swapped my iPhone 4S for a Samsung Galaxy S III, and I'm very happy with the Android OS, so I've decided to go all-in and get a tablet as well.

I was in AT&T while purchasing my S III and saw the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1. I played with it for a bit and liked it, but wanted to know if there was anything I should be aware of before committing to it. Whatever I end up with has to have 3G or 4G as well as WiFi.

I also just found out about the Galaxy Note 10.1.

I'm looking to pull the trigger this week, so any input or feedback would be helpful! I liked my iPhone/iPad, but I'm happy to be freeing myself from Apple's restrictive universe.

I would recommend you to buy Nexus 10 :)

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

PDADoctor

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
But does the Nexus 10 come with 3G or 4G? If it doesn't, that won't work for me. The tablet can't be WiFi only, has to have 3G or LTE. I travel a great deal, and don't want to have to be looking for a WiFi hotspot.

PDADoctor

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Just looked at the Nexus 10 and I remember exactly why I passed it by: no 3G or 4G, and no expandable memory, another thing I forgot to mention that's an absolute must.

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I hae the GT2-P5100 and my daughter has the GT-N8000, both are use mainly for browsing, emails, social networking and offline video. Both are 3G and WiFi and both have mini SD slots.(and 4G capable but we do not have that yet) The Note is noticeably faster in browsing and work (typing and spreadsheets) The s-pen on the Note is nice when used in conjunction with the split screen technology. I use a Adonit Jotpro and Freenote on the Tab 2 for taking notes. I find the s-pen short and uncomfortable to write notes.

One section where the Note beats the Tab 2 hand down is in GPS acquisition and accuracy WHEN used off the national road network. On road and in city/town they are equal

I use Esri's arcGIS on my Tab regularly and loaded the a trail version on the Note.

Spikes

PDADocAndroid

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I hae the GT2-P5100 and my daughter has the GT-N8000, both are use mainly for browsing, emails, social networking and offline video. Both are 3G and WiFi and both have mini SD slots.(and 4G capable but we do not have that yet) The Note is noticeably faster in browsing and work (typing and spreadsheets) The s-pen on the Note is nice when used in conjunction with the split screen technology. I use a Adonit Jotpro and Freenote on the Tab 2 for taking notes. I find the s-pen short and uncomfortable to write notes.

One section where the Note beats the Tab 2 hand down is in GPS acquisition and accuracy WHEN used off the national road network. On road and in city/town they are equal

I use Esri's arcGIS on my Tab regularly and loaded the a trail version on the Note.

Spikes

This is exactly the kind of anecdotal experience I was looking for, thank you! It's most helpful. I would be using it very much in the same way, for working on Microsoft Office documents (primarily PowerPoint and Word docs), listening to podcasts on occasion, reading RSS feeds, reading and posting to forums, etc. I won't be using it for GPS navigation, as I have a standalone PND for that, and on the off-chance I don't have it with me, my S III has CoPilot on it and that works perfectly in my field tests.

So it sounds like it's really a toss-up; the Note has more RAM and is faster in performance but has only 3G, while the Tab 2 has 4G but less RAM. In the end, I think I'd be happy with just 3G myself. One last thing: can you sign up for the data service directly on the device, like the iPad, or will I have to go to AT&T or Verizon (probably Verizon for me, it performs better in the U.S., while giving me the SIM card option for when I'm traveling in Europe, which I do quite a bit for work) to sign up?

Thanks again!

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
That would be very much dependent on where you are located. Here is South Africa most packages include a data service via cellular as WiFi is few and far between. I found that 2Gb is sufficient for my needs as I work from home where I have unlimited WiFi access.

On the Note the daughter has only 1Gb data service as her place of work is fully WiFi whereas my work in Forestry takes me out of WiFi range far more

Enjoy

SamsungGalaxySII

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Just looked at the Nexus 10 and I remember exactly why I passed it by: no 3G or 4G, and no expandable memory, another thing I forgot to mention that's an absolute must.

At least you can tether your phone ;)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Android Central Forums

PDADoctor

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
That's true, but I absolutely positively HATE tethering. I find it to be an unnecessary hassle myself.

I'd rather just have a device that has a built-in radio and be done with it. :)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke