Why doesn't Tab 2 allow apps to be moved to SD card?

outlooker

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Your Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 runs an Android version more than 4.0 right?
Google took away the ability to store apps on your SD card in Android 3.0 honeycomb and never looked back. So you can't install apps on your external SD card if you run Android 4.0 and above.
However, when it comes to storing game apps on your SD card for any version of Android, you may want to take a look at this thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...xternal-microsd-card-any-version-android.html

jcrawford777

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Man, that sucks. Why would Google do something like that? I just bought this Tab2 10.1 and it's full already.

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Android Central Forums

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Probably because Microsoft owns the fat file system. That's why almost all android manufacturers pay Microsoft a royalty on all devices. Google doesn't want to apparently.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

jeffrok

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
You can do it on Android 4.0+ phones but not tablets.. If you are maxing out your tablet, you probably have way too much stuff installed.. 16GB or 32GB (I know, not actually, with the OS and system files installed) worth of apps is a pretty good amount.. Just clean up what you don't use often, and also, make sure music and photos ARE moved to your SD card.

PeterM34

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
With reference to this discussion, I bought my granddaughter a Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 and downloaded some games for her.
I had installed AVG ( antivirus) for Android and it had an option to back-up apps to SD card. I used this but nothing was put on the card.
Thinking I had made a mistake ( as novice I am ), I tried the procedure again. This time I noticed the tablet's main memory reduced by the 290Mb I had expected to go onto the card. I think this must have happened the first time too; and I now seemingly have 2 sets of back-up files within the tablet.
Can anyone tell me where these files would be stored and how to get rid of them.
Help would be most appreciated as I am now down 600Mb on memory I am likely to need soon.

Peter

wdupriest

May 29, 2013
Visit site
I just tested this procedure. I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 with Android v 45.1.2. I downloaded the free version of Big Fish Kate Brooks. The installation put a 437MB file in a new folder called com.bigfishgames.kbrooksgoogfree within my sdcard0/android/obb folder. I ran the game and it came up fine. I see I have 1.15MB free in my internal storage. I cut the 437MB file and pasted to my extSdCard using the standard MyFiles tool. Took about 20 seconds. I used the TaskManager tool to clear all apps and recover unused system memory. I checked and my sdcard0 went up to 1.56MB free. Woohoo! I ran the game and it said it wanted to download a big file off the Big Fish servers. I cancelled out. I copied the 437MB file back to the original folder and ran the game again. It proceeded without wanting to download. I can't say it works with every game. But it has worked so far with 2 that I have tested.

Stopthe Hypocrisy

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
This may be too late, I went to the my files and clicked on on internal SD and went to files the I wanted on my external SD card, checked them and copied to the clip board in the right top corner. Then, went to the external SD card file and pasted them . in my case I moved music and pics over to the external. After it was succesfuly copied over, I went over to the external SD file and seen if everything I wanted to be there was there. After confirming it went OK I went over to the internal SD and erased what I transferred. The last step is went to my files again from the start clicked on the left (don't matter which one) on the external SD, then went to the menu on top right corner clicked settings and scrolled down to click "set music directory to" the chose external SD. Repeat as necessary, if this is redundant forgive me for being late.

Jane Gleed

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Ridiculous buying an sd card is now a waste of money as can only put music, photos and e-books on it. Have to uninstall stuff I'd like to keep as I have no room.

emilysaralauren

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
I found a way to move apps etc. from internal to an external SD drive. Open the "my files" (picture of file folder) where all the apps are pictured. When open this can find all have and long press on what you want to move and drag it to the external SD card. I was having a problem with the Samsung galaxy 10.1 tablet where I couldn't add any more apps because I didn't have any space available.

Shanika Harvey

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I found a way to move apps etc. from internal to an external SD drive. Open the "my files" (picture of file folder) where all the apps are pictured. When open this can find all have and long press on what you want to move and drag it to the external SD card. I was having a problem with the Samsung galaxy 10.1 tablet where I couldn't add any more apps because I didn't have any space available.

Thank u so much. I was sooooo upset when my tab said full after transferring music onto it but your solution helped:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Everyone, scan over, up or down, to a post by Stopthe Hyprocity posted 06/29/2013. ......OMH! I just tried this, and It Works...I am able to move files from my internal SD card to the external SD card Thank you so much for this advice.....
This may be too late, I went to the my files and clicked on on internal SD and went to files the I wanted on my external SD card, checked them and copied to the clip board in the right top corner. Then, went to the external SD card file and pasted them . in my case I moved music and pics over to the external. After it was succesfuly copied over, I went over to the external SD file and seen if everything I wanted to be there was there. After confirming it went OK I went over to the internal SD and erased what I transferred. The last step is went to my files again from the start clicked on the left (don't matter which one) on the external SD, then went to the menu on top right corner clicked settings and scrolled down to click "set music directory to" the chose external SD. Repeat as necessary, if this is redundant forgive me for being late.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae