AllShare Cast Dongle on Tab 2 10.1 (P5113) US *Long Post but need help*

mark0114

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Device: SAMSUNG GALAXY 2 TABLET 10.1
Model #: GT-P5113TSYXAR
Version: 4.1.1

Hi. I'm new here and new to the tablet world as well. I was given, just the past Sunday (Father's Day), a Samsung Galaxy 2 Tablet 10.1. This tablet was purchased by my wife and daughter from one of the big box electronic stores. The sales guy sold her this tablet along with a media hub called the AllShare Cast Wireless Hub. He said that this will allow you to turn your regular HDTV into a Smart HDTV...in other words mirror the image of your tablet to your TV. Great for pictures and videos that you want to share with present company. That's the main reason why she bought the hub. Sunday night I unboxed the wireless hub and made all the connections. Changed the input on the TV to the correct HDMI slot and proceeded to then use the tablet to make the connection. The directions said to go to Settings > More Settings > AllShare Cast then to select the AllShare Cast Dongle from the list and the image will appear on your HDTV. Simple, right? In my case, no. The problem is that the AllShare Cast option is not even listed in the More Settings. Still not there every time I tried.

I called the Samsung support number. I now know why that was a mistake. I was transferred six times to other people who did not have a clue as to what this wireless hub was-even after giving all information such as model number and even the serial number. The last person I spoke to seemed to be knowledgeable and understood my situation -- I thought. He was even as nice enough to send me a link to a piece of equipment I would need to buy. That piece of equipment was the exact same thing I gave him the information on!!!! Unbelievable!! He said that he could not help me and suggested that I go purchase a Samsung Smart TV or get a 20 ft. HDMI cable to connect to the tablet!! I was livid.

I returned to the retailer and explained my problem to the g-squad associate. After taking it to a back room for 30 mins, he came out and said that he doesn't know why that option doesn't show up on the More Settings. I asked about him resetting the tablet back to factory options and he said that may work. He did that in front of me there at the counter and after 10 mins or so, we checked it and it's still not there. He suggested that I would need a firmware update. We tried that several times and got the message saying that the most current version is installed (4.1.1). He suggested that I go back to Samsung and call them to request when the update will be available. Reluctantly I did just that and the person I spoke with was not aware of any updates coming out anytime soon.

So here I am with a brand new tablet (which I like very much so far) and with a wireless hub that I can't use. Has anyone on these forums had similar problems? Does anyone have a solution? Is it that I just have to wait for the update to be released? I don't think I'll be forking over $1k to buy a Samsung Smart TV at this time. I don't think I'll be "rooting" the tablet as I do not want to run the risk of it being a paperweight.

Sorry for the long post, but I just wanted you guys to get the back story of my situation.

Any help that you guys could provide will be greatly appreciated!! :)

Ron McIntire

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I just bought the allshare cast hub today. It works great with my S3 but I have the same problem with my tablet. I was told it would work using that samsung link app but havent gotten it to work. Im not sure but I think the solution is going to be to have the tab. Rooted to jellybean thats what my S3 runs . If I come up with anything I'll check back in. Or if you find a solution I'd appreciate the help.

skramblr

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I had purchased this from AT&T shortly after I got my Tab. It was new and they got the impression from the Samsung Rep (who recent gave a demo) that it worked with all the Samsung devices. But I couldn't get it to work and after going back to AT&T they said they were mistaken and Samsung indicated it doesn't work with the Tab2. I guess they had a few returns...

So I got the wired HDTV adapter and everything works great. Too bad there's no wireless solution.

irishcoffee

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi there
Exactly the same issue i've got yesterday when trying to pair by Tablet 10.1 Tab2 with the dongle.
My wife's Galaxy S3 worked perfect (bottom line Hdmi quality was not as expected via dongle - i've tested from vimeo with a 4k online timescape video - poor - and also the same movie from youtube - better but not the same if play directly from tablet. Another issue the dongle works only with one device at the time, so you need to unpair your phone if you wish to connect another samsung device with it; didn't try with iphone4 yet :).
Comming back on topic here are some news: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (AT&T) Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean Update - AndroidPIT and here: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 Gets Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean Update | Ubergizmo
A friendly advice: before stepping towards Jelly Bean perform a back-up!

I've got no idea if after upgrading from Cream Sandvich (4.0.1) to Jelly Bean firmware that blody " allshare " function will be there on my tablet in order to know whether i should return my dongle or better keep it. If you look on samsung's website where our tablet is presented you'll see that via jelly bean version you' ll got the possibility to use your dongle as described in its instruction.
Hope that helped!

cribble

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 is compatible with the Allshare Cast Dongle but the instructions are out of date it seems. On both my S4 and SM P905 I initiated the system by "Screen Mirror" (appears in setup and navigation bar).

I would appreciate advice, though, on making the thing connect while I am using a VPN (I need VPN to use Netflix - unavailable in my country but available through VPN). I really would like to be able to cast Netflix at home on the bigscreen).