1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Help rooting my Tab!

I have a Galaxy tab 2 10.1 GT-P5100 running android 4.0.3 and it is rooted. I would like to update my Android to the newer jelly bean 4.1++ patches but i dont know what to do.
    Do i need to re-root?
    Is there anny roots that i can use?
    Do i need to whipe it?

Please point me in the right direction and keep in mind that i am new to android!

Thank you!

Global Posts
    13,914 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: Help rooting my Tab!

Quote Originally Posted by MrZone View Post
    I have a Galaxy tab 2 10.1 GT-P5100 running android 4.0.3 and it is rooted. I would like to update my Android to the newer jelly bean 4.1++ patches but i dont know what to do.
    Do i need to re-root?
    Is there anny roots that i can use?
    Do i need to whipe it?

Please point me in the right direction and keep in mind that i am new to android!

Thank you!
    Welcome to Android and the forums!!
    Typically when you root, you lose all ability to gain OTA updates. You would have to revert back to fully stock and then accept the updates. Then reroot.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by:
    MrZone 
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Ok i see.

Will i be able to re-root or do i need to wait for someone to hack android (like IOS jailbreaks) ?
    When i revert do i loose all my files, apps and settings? (in that case i will do a backup)

Global Posts
    13,914 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by MrZone View Post
    Ok i see.

Will i be able to re-root or do i need to wait for someone to hack android (like IOS jailbreaks) ?
    When i revert do i loose all my files, apps and settings? (in that case i will do a backup)
    You shouldn't lose files, but I am paranoid enough about it to suggest to do a backup anyway. Nothing wrong with doing that and not needing it.

Sent from a Carbon Galaxy S3.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Thanked by:
    MrZone 

Global Posts
    13,914 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

As for rerooting, it may depend. Sometimes it doesn't change sometimes it does. Wherever you got your rooting procedures done, ask there if the files and steps have changed.

Thanked by:
    MrZone 
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

My android wont seem to find the update in the settings, seems like i have to completly unroot it?