Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By john144
  • 1 Post By asookraj
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Do you like the new look of the OS?

After playing around with android 4.2.2 there a few things I miss already. Such as the home screen from 4.1.1 it felt more for like the big screen. Also placing apps within apps to make a folder was so much easier. Now you have to make a folder then place all apps. Another thing the swipe lock before entering password is gone. Sucks also. But there are tons of great features and more bloatware. What do you like or don't like or miss from the old android version for the tablet?

Default Re: Do you like the new look of the OS?

I don't like the notification screen. It looks cheap and something they just ported over from a smart phone and didn't optimize for a tablet. I also hate that they took all my icons off the home screen and substituted their garbage. It'll take me a while to get everything back the way I like it.
    asookraj likes this.

I haven't got my update yet but I don't like the idea of the notification bar moving to the top of the screen!

Posted via my Galaxy s4
    Posted from my iPad mini.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I have to agree with you on that one about the notification screen it looks poorly developed. I feel like I'm on a galaxy tab 3 now with all the changes

I'm on the fence about taking this update. (So far it's not yet available for me in California) Should I or shouldn't I?
    4.1.1 is working pretty well for me. The screen shots I've seen do look like a phone UI.
    What are the advantages of 4.2.2?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Really nothing but lock screen widgets with no password lock to show widgets. To install the update your have to use samsung kies if you haven't done it. But honestly if I were you stick with 4.1.1 I really wish they didn't make 4.2.2 for tab 2 look the same as they do on tab 3 I can't think of anything ground breaking except two volumability which a hacker can gain access to your tablet which can be done on 4.1.1 from my understanding. I hope this helps you out.

Also if your tab 2 is a Cingular device from t-mobile then the update isn't rolled out yet but if it's the WiFi version only model it's out I'm also in California
    Thanked by:

Mine is 5113 wifi only. When I check for updates it says update service provided in order requested by customer (or something like that) I havent tried kies today but yesterday I didnt see any notice of available update. Mine is a refurb I bought through Walmart. I wonder if that would make any difference?
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by johna2u View Post
    Mine is 5113 wifi only. When I check for updates it says update service provided in order requested by customer (or something like that) I havent tried kies today but yesterday I didnt see any notice of available update. Mine is a refurb I bought through Walmart. I wonder if that would make any difference?
    no that wouldn't be the cause make. You still can do an update. as for that message I know what you were talking about. I have that model too and I had that problem so I connected my tablet to my pc and install Samsung Kies and did the update that way. Once you do that your get the update that way

Yeah I connected to Kies yesterday for the first time so I'm not very familiar with it yet. I didnt see anything regarding an update. But I guess I really don' know where to look. It seemed to lay out all my files, web links, bookmarks etc. But I didnt see ant kind of notification window. My understanding from what ive read is a notification just pops up when you connect. Is that not correct?

I'm a bit of a tablet junky and for me to not take a firmwareupgrade takes all the willpower I can muster.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by johna2u View Post
    Yeah I connected to Kies yesterday for the first time so I'm not very familiar with it yet. I didnt see anything regarding an update. But I guess I really don' know where to look. It seemed to lay out all my files, web links, bookmarks etc. But I didnt see ant kind of notification window. My understanding from what ive read is a notification just pops up when you connect. Is that not correct?

I'm a bit of a tablet junky and for me to not take a firmwareupgrade takes all the willpower I can muster.
    when you connect your device it will say connecting once that is done on the top left colum your see connected devices it will say like P-5113 or something like that. I cant think im kinda tired but do that and it will say in that window current firmware and so on. You may need to download a new version of kies cause Samsung web site doesn't have the new version online yet hopefully you have kies fully updated new or the update for the tablet wont happen. Cause it needs the newest version of kies installed thought id let you know.
    -Daniel
    Thanked by:

I'm usually all about updates on all my devices but I'm passing on this one. I like my current set up and there are no must haves for me.

Posted via Android Central App

Mine updated today and I hate it. The bar at the top is tiny and I have nails so I can barely slide it. The moved and removed my set up icons on my screens moved my clock and status bar so I keep trying to tap the lower right corner for no reason. I feel clumsy on my tablet. Anyone figures out a way to make the appearance go back let me know.

Constance M likes this.

Global Posts
    636 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by eKoKnight View Post
    After playing around with android 4.2.2 there a few things I miss already. Such as the home screen from 4.1.1 it felt more for like the big screen. Also placing apps within apps to make a folder was so much easier. Now you have to make a folder then place all apps. Another thing the swipe lock before entering password is gone. Sucks also. But there are tons of great features and more bloatware. What do you like or don't like or miss from the old android version for the tablet?
    To get around the folders issue, I highly highly highly recommend replacing the Samsung launcher with either Nova Launcher or Apex launcher.. Those are MUCH improved over Samsung's launcher. Folder creation is a breeze.

The only thing I HATE about this update is where they put the back key.. It should be on the left, not the right. On a tablet of its size, especially.

I hate the new status bar!!!!

I don't have large fat fingers but i have a hard time opening it to clear notifications. I usually end up scrolling through umpteen home screens before I find the magic spot to touch.
    Sometimes I apparently don't pull down far or fast enough and it closes, then I have to go through it all over again.

I just installed Nova Launcher. It is optimized for 4.2.2. It has the option to hide the status bar which gives you just a bit more screen space. Folderscreated by dragging an app over an app, app info nm or delete app by long pressing it. Nova makes 4.2.2 much nicer. If it wouldjust give the option to make the navigation bar clear I'd be pretty happy.

- - - Updated - - -

I just installed Nova Launcher. It is optimized for 4.2.2. It has the option to hide the status bar which gives you just a bit more screen space. Folderscreated by dragging an app over an app, app info nm or delete app by long pressing it. Nova makes 4.2.2 much nicer. If it wouldjust give the option to make the navigation bar clear I'd be pretty happy.

Nova Launcher is the only thing making JB tolerable IMO. I purposefully didn't update my rooted DROID 4 to JB and I cannot for the life of me think of what possessed me to update my stock TAB 2. I should have checked the various forums first.

I'm off to find root instructions and see about another ROM. Seriously, the *only* upshot of JB is the ability to move apps to the SDcard.

Cheers!~
    Diana
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Quote Originally Posted by moongdss74 View Post
    Nova Launcher is the only thing making JB tolerable IMO. I purposefully didn't update my rooted DROID 4 to JB and I cannot for the life of me think of what possessed me to update my stock TAB 2. I should have checked the various forums first.

I'm off to find root instructions and see about another ROM. Seriously, the *only* upshot of JB is the ability to move apps to the SDcard.
    Cheers!~
    Diana
    I thought about custom roms but due to the fact that none of the roms out there that are up to date to 4.2.2 or higher don't support the IR Blaster in the P5113 which is a major turn away for me. if it wasn't for my tablet to have it then id consider on doing a custom rom but nope not worth it to make one thing of hardware not work on my tablet.
    -Daniel

The ir blaster is the coolest feature on this tablet.

I absolutely hate the 4.2.2 update. I'm not a tech expert, so I don't know about additional software (i.e. Nova Launcher, etc.), nor do I want to have to become an expert in order to adapt a device I was perfectly happy with straight out of the box when I bought it over a year ago.

For the casual user, like myself, providing a summary of changes to read before installing an update would be inordinately helpful. I shouldnt have to waste so much of my time searching online to find out how to take an effing screen shot, for crying out loud!

Global Posts
    5,531 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Quote Originally Posted by Constance M View Post
    I absolutely hate the 4.2.2 update. I'm not a tech expert, so I don't know about additional software (i.e. Nova Launcher, etc.), nor do I want to have to become an expert in order to adapt a device I was perfectly happy with straight out of the box when I bought it over a year ago.

For the casual user, like myself, providing a summary of changes to read before installing an update would be inordinately helpful. I shouldnt have to waste so much of my time searching online to find out how to take an effing screen shot, for crying out loud!

Nova Launcher is an app, not additional software

Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever

I want by print screen button back!!!