Tab 2 10.1 won't stay off

papafrankm

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Just checked mine no problem, just got update today. Could it possibly be finishing up the update.

Posted via Android Central App

Karleen

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Mine is doing the exact same thing.... Hold the button down to shut it off, tap the 'shut down' , tap the 'ok' --- it shuts down... the comes right back on! Only since the update. And it seems like my battery life is very, very short since this update.

leoric690

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Same thing has been happening to me since the update. once since the update has it turned off and actually stayed off, all other time just keeps coming back on. Today am letting it burn the last of its charge out,a s read on another post that might help, so giving it a try. If not, someone else please help!!!!!!:)

ATLPeachGirl

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
The SAME thing is going on with my Tab 2 10 inch.......I did the OS update and now when I click the power down button it shuts down and then reboots back up immediately. I have done everything, including going into settings. Do I maybe need to re-install the new OS updates??? Like the others here, my update said it was successful. I am frustrated. You can't fly with a tablet that will not power down. HELP!!! HELP!!!!

ingmanson

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Did you try plugging it in immediately!! after shutdown initiates, like within a couple of seconds. It sometimes takes a couple of tries but when we do this it will stay shutdown even when you unplug it. Let it go into charging mode before you try to unplug or it will sometimes come back on. It also sometimes works even when not connected to power. Still looking for a better fix but this is better than nothing for the moment.

dcmerkle

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same issue with my Samsung Galaxy 2 Tab 10.1 It will come right back on after I shut it off. I've tried the long hold on shut down...nada. I've tried unplugging it after shut down...nada. I'm going to let it uncharge and see if Ican get a success, but if not then I expect to get a nada. Anyone else found a solution?

Karleen

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm still not getting my tablet to shut down. Whether I hold the button in for a long time, or my finger on the screen on "Power Off" -- it just comes right back on. And battery life still is horrible.

Do you think going into Task Manager every time I leave an app. would help? Or just use more power trying to start it back up again? Also, Google Play seems to stay running in the background -- I finally just uninstalled it.

Guess I will have to look up my Samsung info. --- my tablet should still be under warranty and perhaps I can reach someone that way.

SteveK1949

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
I have talked to Samsung. They said that nobody reported It. I have a case number. They asked me to do a factory reset, which I have done.

No change. Still re- powers on. I have found that if you power off as soon as it re-powers on, it will shut down. Still not a viable solution. Samsung needs to publish a fix.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using AC Forums mobile app

John Benante

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
My situation is even worse. Did the latest update a couple hours ago. Now, all I see is the Samsung Galaxy Tab2 10.1 splash screen. The Tab never boots beyond that screen. I keep trying to turn it off, but each time, it starts right back up and stays infinitely on the splash screen. I've held the power button down for 15 seconds or longer. Same thing happens. A couple times, I saw a screen with a green Android showing a progress bar. The progress bar gets to 25%, and then the Android falls over and an exclamation point appears. Not very helpful. Then it's back to the splash screen. I never had any problem until the 4.2 update. Did the update hose the device?

Karleen

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Here is the 'conversation' I had with Peter P. at Samsung. Basically, unless I want to deal with wiping out EVERYTHING on my tablet, I'm stuck with this issue. All they can do is a factory reset. I've got tons of Kindle books, e-books, pdf books, my kids homeschool e-books, etc. on here. I really don't want to deal with trying to back all that up and restoring it (UNLESS one of ya'll can tell me about an EASY way to do that! ;-) ) So I will probably just have to stick to my tablet NOT shutting down -- unless I run the battery down to 0% and then watch it turn itself off and on for about 10 minutes till the battery is really good and dead.

Peter P: Hi, thank you for reaching out to Samsung technical support. How may I assist you?
Visitor: I've been having issues with my Galaxy Tab 2 since the update. It won't shut down.
Peter P: Thank you for waiting. I'll be with you in just a moment.
Visitor: Ok.
Peter P: I understand that must make you feel upset and we can work towards resolving this situation for you.
Peter P: What is the complete model code of the Galaxy Tab?
Peter P: I understand that you are unable to turn on your device after update. Am I correct?
Visitor: NO. It works fine, but it will NOT shut down.
Peter P: Thank you for confirming.
Peter P: I request you to press and hold the power button for 30 - 40 seconds to turn off the device.
Visitor: I am NOT confirming what you said. The device turns ON, but it will not turn OFF.
Visitor: Right now it is OFF because the battery ran down to 0%. That's the first time in over a week that it would shut off. Other people are having this same issue.
Peter P: Yes, I understand your issue, Please press and hold the power button for 30 - 40 seconds to turn off the device.
Visitor: The device is off. The Battery is dead.
Visitor: So basically -- do I need to re charge the battery and then try this chat thing again??
Peter P: I request you to charge you device for 6 Hours through power-outlets or 10 hours through PC.
Peter P: Please try the above instruction and if the issue still persists come back to us using chat id: LTK111790810990X.
Peter P: It's my pleasure assisting you. Is there anything else I may help you?
Visitor: Well, I can tell you that I have pressed & held the power button for a very long time, and it still would not shut down. I didn't time how long I held it, but if I remember correctly, it would shut down and then RESTART while I was still holding the button down.
Visitor: It briefly goes through the shut down screen, but then it starts right back up again.
Peter P: As you said that you already tried the give instruction then we need to Perform the rest on your tab to fix the issue.
Peter P: If we perfom Reset All user data will be wiped if you perform a Factory reset. Your contact and email information is automatically backed up to the Gmail server. This information will be restored when you login with your user name and a password.
Visitor: So all photos would be wiped out? Apps & Games would be wiped out?
Visitor: Kindle books and .pdf ebooks would be wiped out?
Peter P: Yes, All your file will be wiped out from tablet.
Visitor: Well, forget it.
Visitor: Can I revert back to old operating system? I did not CHOOSE this update.
Peter P: am sorry to inform you that it is not possible to get old operating system once the tab is updated to newer version.
Visitor: Fine. Thank you. Good night.

redtater

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Well I finally got it to shut off 5 times in a row. Here is what I did. While on the main page I pushed the power button to put it to sleep, then I woke it up and from the lock page I was able to power the unit down. Like I said I did it five times and it worked every time. Would someone else give this a try to see if it works for them. Kind of stupid that you would have to do this just to shut the device down, but if it works.......

Noah Lamb

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
I was having the same problem with my 10.1 tablet. Didn't notice this was a problem till today well after the the new update. The only thing that shut it down was holding the "off button" on the side before it tries to reboot again. Not the best solution but it will work for me until samsung gets it fixed. Press the off button immediately after the screen shuts down and keep pressed for at least 5 seconds. This is currently working for me.

Last edited:

Karleen

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
WooHoo! Got a call from Samsung today -- this is now a "known" issue and they are working on a "fix for it. It should come out soon, as an update.

Tuesday, September 25, 2013

rickhassinger75

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
All the same problems listed after 4.2.2 auto installed. Can get it to turn off I do the following "From the User Screen, press and hold on/off button. Hold it and, press turn off on the pop up continue to hold for about 5 sec's.......it shuts off, works every time, so far. All my bookmarks sites and stuff disappeared! Book mark roots seem to be still listed in back ground file stores???. Last problem, can't find a book mark icon in the widget section or anywhere.........so can't put book marks back. Am I looking in the wrong place for the bookmark widget? Or, did that disappear also, or.......do we bookmark in a different way now?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000