Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Default Re: Tab 2 10.1 won't stay off

I have talked to a couple of "Samsung" people who say they are aware of the problem and a "Fix" is on the way...I have been dealing with this for just over 3 months now and still nothing but talk from Samsung. Very frustrating......Really don't think a Samsung product will be bought by my family this Christmas season.
    On a side note I used to be able to eventually get the device to shut off while it was connected to the charger, but that doesn't even work any more......

What still works for me....
    Turn off (it reboots), then the lock screen shows turn off again.
    Works every time

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

I have been having the same issue until about 10 minutes ago tried it twice and the unit shut down. Click on the WiFi in the settings in the upper right hand corner is a drop down menu click on advanced settings check the box that says WiFi stays on even when sleeping to never.

I fixed the problem by installing CM 10.1, works like a charm now

Quote Originally Posted by mrip View Post
    I have been having the same issue until about 10 minutes ago tried it twice and the unit shut down. Click on the WiFi in the settings in the upper right hand corner is a drop down menu click on advanced settings check the box that says WiFi stays on even when sleeping to never.
    That didn't work for me.

I've also recently run into an issue where I cannot turn on my wireless at all. So, now not only can I NOT power down my tab but I can't get wireless. Wow. I've got a really friggin expensive door stop now.

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

Try doing a cache wipe 3 then turn on the unit, in the drop down menu turn off everything then restart turning on one by one and restarting after each choice is made.

Found this on another forum and it seems to be working for me...
    If you have an SD card inserted, remove it. (I removed it while my tablet was in sleep mode)
    Then try shutting your tablet down - either from the lock screen or from the active home screen. Your tablet should shut down completely - mine did. Then power it back on without the SD card and shut it off again. I cycled it on/off several times and it stayed off each time. I then re-inserted the SD card while it was shut off, re-started, then tried turning it off again. It's worked every time (so far).
    Thanked by:
    BinSKy 

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Vallefuoco View Post
    If you have an SD card inserted, remove it. (I removed it while my tablet was in sleep mode)
    Then try shutting your tablet down - either from the lock screen or from the active home screen. Your tablet should shut down completely - mine did. Then power it back on without the SD card and shut it off again. I cycled it on/off several times and it stayed off each time. I then re-inserted the SD card while it was shut off, re-started, then tried turning it off again. It's worked every time (so far).
    Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for posting this. I have tried everything everyone has suggested that was technically within my grasp and nothing made any difference..........Till Now! I did exactly what you said and it's shutting off fine now with ONE shut down. I am still not happy with this update in general, but I am thrilled it is now shutting off properly. Thank you so much Ben Vallefuoco.

UPDATE: This worked great for about one day. By the next evening it began restarting itself again. I took the sd card out, did a couple of cycles of shuts downs till I got it to stay off with the firt try again, and this time I left the sd card out. By the next day it was back to restarting itself again. I've got an update notification from samsung, but I'm afraid to even try. I think I'm going to just try to build up enough courage to try to downgrade.
    Last edited by BinSKy; 12-14-2013 at 09:39 AM.

I turned off my hp printer driver and mine stays off now

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Vallefuoco View Post
    Thanks for the pointer, but ... I tried this last night (removed SD card, and followed your workaround) and it didn't work. 8-( Still re-starts. So far, I've tried every fix mentioned in this thread and some of them work once or twice or even sporadically, many of them no effect, no permanent "fix" for my tablet yet.

My vent aimed at Samsung: This is just a travesty of a defect by Samsung and an insult to all of their customers that these sort of work arounds have to be discovered.

After hearing of the many problems with that update, and given Samsung's history of pushing out flakey, insecure software, I installed CWM & CM 10.1.3. My Samsung Tab 2 10.1 is no longer riddled with bloatware I don't want, works like a champ, doesn't do screwy things and is more secure.

Just went through downloading and installing new software successfully using regular push update process. It took 2 tries, but second go around went smoothly.

It looks like everything is working fine and I just need to turn it off once to keep it off. Yea!!! It took a long enough time for Samsung to get there.

Finally decided to try the new update and it won't install. Then I decided since I don't have anything to loose, I'd try to downgrade to 4.1.1. I downloaded Odin but when I tried to get the other file, it's said it's been removed due to copyright infringement. I searched for hours yesterday trying to find someplace I could download it, finally found one and during download my PC locked up. Turns out I was downloading virus and trojan files. I am so fed up with this. I loved my tablet before and now it's crap.

Quote Originally Posted by BinSKy View Post
    I loved my tablet before and now it's crap.
    Install CWM (ClockWorkMod recovery) and CM (CyanogenMod ROM) and you'll love it again. The Tab's hardware is nice. It's Samsung's crap firmware that sucks.

Is this hard to do? Where can I find instructions for dummies?

Quote Originally Posted by BinSKy View Post
    Is this hard to do? Where can I find instructions for dummies?
    It was trivial.

I installed 10.1.3 stable:

Here's the "info" page:

Note: No IR Blaster support. (It's largely worthless, anyway, IME.) And I found Bluetooth sound doesn't work under CM 10.1.3 on my Tab 2. (Not a big deal for me, either, since I never use the tablet as a phone. It's been bug-reported.)
    Thanked by:
    BinSKy 

While my tablet was updated with only 1 problem, my son was not able to update. It seems to download ok, but never installs!!!!

I have been having this problem for months (tablet wont turn off), and now it wont install the update either. Ive tried both on the tablet, and connected to my laptop using Kies. When Kies tries to install the program, the tablet restarts itself and the connection to the computer is lost. HELP!

Same story. Chatted with Samsung tech support twice yesterday. First CSR said the new download (Norton says the download file has only been around a week or so) would definitely fix the problem of not shutting down. Tablet had said to use Kies from a desktop computer, did so, took about a half hour to transfer from the desktop to the tablet, messages said it was a firmware update. I had high hopes. Nope, tablet said could not install the download (again.) Called second CSR, he said the only thing to do was to perform a hard reset, erasing all user data. I will update if I can find a fix.

Update: Well, I went ahead with the second CSR's instructions on how to get going again. Now all data is gone, and the little Android robot is asking me which package to install. I tried all three directories (names like ../ ), and of course I just have a doorstop now.
    Good going, Samsung!

Update: Ooops. Too hasty. Given enough time, Samsung will finally allow you to start the setup process.

(time passes)

Now the initial setup is complete, and I tried turning off. Sure enough it comes right back on like always.

Time for a large hammer.

Update: 1/6/2014

Finally calmed down enough to try Samsung chat again. Went through everything again, asked for instructions on sending it in to their service center. CSR was very nice, showed me where to get repair info, but since it is over one year, warranty is gone & they will charge for any service done! I explained that they broke it, they should fix it! No go.

Meanwhile I bought an ASUS MEMO FHD10. Seems to work well, but the ASUS site will not let me download the manual for it. I am cursed.
    Last edited by SierraFred; 01-06-2014 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Update:

Mine shuts off as of updating today.

Posted via Android Central App

Trying to get mine to back up to Kies, but it seems it's having a little trouble doing that. Afraid to try to the update without backing up some of my photos first. Really do not want to do that 'hard reset' and lose everything!! Gonna try a bit longer with Kies and/or DropBox and then see about installing the update.

Well, Kies never worked with my tablet, other than to say it was 'connected' -- didn't back up, didn't sync, and the update wouldn't work. Spent an hour 'downloading' and installing, rebooted itself, got a message saying update didn't work, try hooking it up to your computer via Kies. Well....that's what I was doing. Darn thing still won't shut down -- hasn't since that update last August! Knew I should've got a laptop instead....

Quote Originally Posted by Karleen View Post
    Well, Kies never worked with my tablet, other than to say it was 'connected' -- didn't back up, didn't sync, and the update wouldn't work. Spent an hour 'downloading' and installing, rebooted itself, got a message saying update didn't work, try hooking it up to your computer via Kies. Well....that's what I was doing. Darn thing still won't shut down -- hasn't since that update last August! Knew I should've got a laptop instead....
    My story is almost exactly like yours. I'm thinking very seriously about doing a factory re-set and selling the POS and buying something else.

In addition to the crazy deficiencies you mention, this thing seems to get laggier and laggier. Not a fan of Samsung at this point, I doubt I'll ever buy a Samsung device again (my Samsung TVs are OK though). My Moto X phone smokes the performance of this tablet. I might try a Nexus or Motorola tablet product.

I'm starting to think that Samsung might be an excellent hardware manufacturer, but an awful software company.

Quote Originally Posted by Camilo View Post
    I'm starting to think that Samsung might be an excellent hardware manufacturer, but an awful software company.
    That about sums it up.

As I noted, above: Replace Samsung's crappy software with CWM recovery and the CM ROM and you will be happy. My wife regularly grumbles about her Tab 2, which is still running the lame Samsung crap. I haven't a single complaint about my Tab 2, upon which I installed CWM and CM 10.1.3 nearly three months ago, after reading about all the troubles with the update they released about that time.

Only three problems I've encountered: The IR blaster is not supported on CM 10.1.3. Since it's pitifully weak, and, therefor, fairly useless, anyway: No loss there, IMO. I found that there's no sound with Bluetooth devices. Since I rarely use my tablet as a phone (never, actually): That, likewise, wasn't a big loss. Lastly: The Trbuchet launcher occasionally crashes. (It's happened to me about three times in three months.)

Samsung's software is garbage, IMO, and is the reason that I did not consider Samsung handsets when my wife and I went to smartphones a couple months ago.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast