Tab 2 10.1 won't stay off

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
After hearing of the many problems with that update, and given Samsung's history of pushing out flakey, insecure software, I installed CWM & CM 10.1.3. My Samsung Tab 2 10.1 is no longer riddled with bloatware I don't want, works like a champ, doesn't do screwy things and is more secure.

jwsan

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Just went through downloading and installing new software successfully using regular push update process. It took 2 tries, but second go around went smoothly.

It looks like everything is working fine and I just need to turn it off once to keep it off. Yea!!! It took a long enough time for Samsung to get there. :)

BinSKy

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Finally decided to try the new update and it won't install. Then I decided since I don't have anything to loose, I'd try to downgrade to 4.1.1. I downloaded Odin but when I tried to get the other file, it's said it's been removed due to copyright infringement. I searched for hours yesterday trying to find someplace I could download it, finally found one and during download my PC locked up. Turns out I was downloading virus and trojan files. I am so fed up with this. I loved my tablet before and now it's crap.

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Is this hard to do? Where can I find instructions for dummies?

It was trivial. Install CM for p4wifi - CyanogenMod

I installed 10.1.3 stable: CyanogenMod Downloads

Here's the "info" page: Information: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (Wi-Fi) ("p5110") - CyanogenMod

Note: No IR Blaster support. (It's largely worthless, anyway, IME.) And I found Bluetooth sound doesn't work under CM 10.1.3 on my Tab 2. (Not a big deal for me, either, since I never use the tablet as a phone. It's been bug-reported.)

jwsan

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
While my tablet was updated with only 1 problem, my son was not able to update. It seems to download ok, but never installs!!!!

HJStrawberry

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
I have been having this problem for months (tablet wont turn off), and now it wont install the update either. Ive tried both on the tablet, and connected to my laptop using Kies. When Kies tries to install the program, the tablet restarts itself and the connection to the computer is lost. HELP!

SierraFred

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Same story. Chatted with Samsung tech support twice yesterday. First CSR said the new download (Norton says the download file has only been around a week or so) would definitely fix the problem of not shutting down. Tablet had said to use Kies from a desktop computer, did so, took about a half hour to transfer from the desktop to the tablet, messages said it was a firmware update. I had high hopes. Nope, tablet said could not install the download (again.) Called second CSR, he said the only thing to do was to perform a hard reset, erasing all user data. I will update if I can find a fix.

SierraFred

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Update: Well, I went ahead with the second CSR's instructions on how to get going again. Now all data is gone, and the little Android robot is asking me which package to install. I tried all three directories (names like ../ ), and of course I just have a doorstop now.
Good going, Samsung!

Update: Ooops. Too hasty. Given enough time, Samsung will finally allow you to start the setup process.

(time passes)

Now the initial setup is complete, and I tried turning off. Sure enough it comes right back on like always.

Time for a large hammer.

Update: 1/6/2014

Finally calmed down enough to try Samsung chat again. Went through everything again, asked for instructions on sending it in to their service center. CSR was very nice, showed me where to get repair info, but since it is over one year, warranty is gone & they will charge for any service done! I explained that they broke it, they should fix it! No go.

Meanwhile I bought an ASUS MEMO FHD10. Seems to work well, but the ASUS site will not let me download the manual for it. I am cursed.

Last edited:

Karleen

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Trying to get mine to back up to Kies, but it seems it's having a little trouble doing that. Afraid to try to the update without backing up some of my photos first. Really do not want to do that 'hard reset' and lose everything!! Gonna try a bit longer with Kies and/or DropBox and then see about installing the update.

Karleen

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Well, Kies never worked with my tablet, other than to say it was 'connected' -- didn't back up, didn't sync, and the update wouldn't work. Spent an hour 'downloading' and installing, rebooted itself, got a message saying update didn't work, try hooking it up to your computer via Kies. Well....that's what I was doing. Darn thing still won't shut down -- hasn't since that update last August! Knew I should've got a laptop instead....

Camilo

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Well, Kies never worked with my tablet, other than to say it was 'connected' -- didn't back up, didn't sync, and the update wouldn't work. Spent an hour 'downloading' and installing, rebooted itself, got a message saying update didn't work, try hooking it up to your computer via Kies. Well....that's what I was doing. Darn thing still won't shut down -- hasn't since that update last August! Knew I should've got a laptop instead....

My story is almost exactly like yours. I'm thinking very seriously about doing a factory re-set and selling the POS and buying something else.

In addition to the crazy deficiencies you mention, this thing seems to get laggier and laggier. Not a fan of Samsung at this point, I doubt I'll ever buy a Samsung device again (my Samsung TVs are OK though). My Moto X phone smokes the performance of this tablet. I might try a Nexus or Motorola tablet product.

I'm starting to think that Samsung might be an excellent hardware manufacturer, but an awful software company.

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm starting to think that Samsung might be an excellent hardware manufacturer, but an awful software company.
That about sums it up.

As I noted, above: Replace Samsung's crappy software with CWM recovery and the CM ROM and you will be happy. My wife regularly grumbles about her Tab 2, which is still running the lame Samsung crap. I haven't a single complaint about my Tab 2, upon which I installed CWM and CM 10.1.3 nearly three months ago, after reading about all the troubles with the update they released about that time.

Only three problems I've encountered: The IR blaster is not supported on CM 10.1.3. Since it's pitifully weak, and, therefor, fairly useless, anyway: No loss there, IMO. I found that there's no sound with Bluetooth devices. Since I rarely use my tablet as a phone (never, actually): That, likewise, wasn't a big loss. Lastly: The Tr?buchet launcher occasionally crashes. (It's happened to me about three times in three months.)

Samsung's software is garbage, IMO, and is the reason that I did not consider Samsung handsets when my wife and I went to smartphones a couple months ago.

Camilo

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
That about sums it up.

As I noted, above: Replace Samsung's crappy software with CWM recovery and the CM ROM and you will be happy. My wife regularly grumbles about her Tab 2, which is still running the lame Samsung crap. I haven't a single complaint about my Tab 2, upon which I installed CWM and CM 10.1.3 nearly three months ago, after reading about all the troubles with the update they released about that time.

Only three problems I've encountered: The IR blaster is not supported on CM 10.1.3. Since it's pitifully weak, and, therefor, fairly useless, anyway: No loss there, IMO. I found that there's no sound with Bluetooth devices. Since I rarely use my tablet as a phone (never, actually): That, likewise, wasn't a big loss. Lastly: The Tr?buchet launcher occasionally crashes. (It's happened to me about three times in three months.)

Samsung's software is garbage, IMO, and is the reason that I did not consider Samsung handsets when my wife and I went to smartphones a couple months ago.

I'm normally a very casual tinkerer, not hardcore, but I'm tempted to follow your lead. My thought was to format the thing and install a pure version of android and then just install the apps I wanted. As an alternative I was thinking of re-setting the thing, selling it on Craigslist and buying a simpler/purer tablet. I'm basing this on my very, very more positiver :cool: experience with my Moto X phone which as I understand it is much closer to basic/pure Android than Samsung products. The concept of the Nexus devices really intrigues me at this point, and I'm tempted to go that route in the future.

But, can you give me the i'diot's explanation of the stuff you're talking about? I really have no idea about the nomenclature, but have formatted and installed OS's on computers in the past, so I'm not totally afraid or clueless. Just not tablet stuff.

Would this make it less desirable for a future user (say someone in my family, or if I try to sell it)?

I have no need for Bluetooth. I have used the IR blaster, but really have no need for it as it's no easier to use than the remotes I have on my coffee table.

is there a way to wipe the tablet and install a pure version of android - or is that pretty much what you're talking about?

Thanks, this is interesting to me.

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I'll try, Camilo, but I'm not really an Android Wizard :)

(Most?) Android devices have three operating "states," if you will: A boot loader, a recovery console and the normal running system. (Which everybody calls the "ROM" code, for some reason.) The boot loader is designed to allow one to install code via the USB interface, in conjunction with (custom) code on a computer (usually). The recovery console code has menus to allow you to do a number of things to... well, recover from a broken ROM, clear the device's cache, reset it to as-delivered from the factory, etc. The ROM, well, that's the Android OS.

Replacing Samsung's garbage corruption of Android with CyanogenMod (a ROM) is a two-step process (well, three, actually, as you'll see later):
  1. Replace Samsung's recovery console with the Clockwork Recovery Mod (CWM) or the TeamWin Projects Recovery (TWRP) (Why their acronyms aren't actually acronyms is another mystery)
  2. Using the new recovery console: Install the CyanogenMod ROM
Then you can boot into an unpolluted Android environment :)

Of course: You'll also want to be able to actually do something with the resulting thing, and, for that, you'll need apps. For apps you'll need the App Store (okay: Play Store... whatever). For that you'll need to install a package called "GApps." You must be careful to install the GApps package that matches the version of CM you installed. The GApps package is installed from the recovery console (CWM or TWRP).

Then you boot into CM, re-sign-up with your Google account, re-install your other apps, set stuff up, configure, etc., etc. and Bob's your uncle :)

As for "less desirable": Could be. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used Samsung tablet with CWM and CM on it, because, now, I know what it is on a personal level.

It's probably possible to put things back. Or at least Samsung's corrupted version of the Android ROM. One of the steps you'll execute, as part of the installation, is a "nandroid" backup of your tablet from CWM or TWRP. From there it might be possible to get Samsung's recovery console back. I don't know.

csbrat

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I've had this same problem as well, and to top it off it would tell me that it had an update available but refused to install it. Tried the Kies thing (wirelessly) until I read everything tonight. I FIXED THE PROBLEM! I plugged my Tab into my computer using a usb cord and went to SAMSUNG KIES and downloaded the LATEST version of Kies. Keeping the Tab connected to the computer via usb I was able to download the latest firmware and my tab now shuts off the first time every time!

Favoured_3G

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Try to press the power off button until the choice to restart, shutdown and flight appears. Click your choice i.e. shutdown and a messy confirmation window will appear. If you choose 'OK', then it will go back. However, if you choose 'CANCEL', then it will shutdown. This is not good and must be reported.

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
How'd you manage that? I've also tried the Kies route to no avail. I figured the update only works when the tab can successfully shutdown, and it's a catch-22 when the the patch that's supposed to fix the current problem can't be installed because of the current problem.