Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Dictating a message using voice to text using voice commands

I like the function of dictation, a lot easier that hunt and peck...My main question are there voice commands to control a
    1.new line
    2.period (end of sentence)
    3. question mark
    4. new paragraph

voice commands would be much easier than stopping to create a new line ...etc
    Any help in this area would be helpful
    Kas

Default Re: Dictating a message using voice to text using voice commands

All of those commands are the right ones to do what you want. For example, saying "butter new line milk new line eggs" will result in:

butter
    milk
    eggs

You might need to pause briefly when saying new line or it will insert the text "new line" in it. So more like "butter...new line....milk...new line....eggs"

Same with question mark, period, and new paragraph. But they all should work.

Red face Re: Dictating a message using voice to text using voice commands

You can use new line or enter and perhaps other commands. The secret is to preced it with punctuation like a period.

Have a nice day (period enter)

Quote Originally Posted by pnneilson View Post
    You can use new line or enter and perhaps other commands. The secret is to preced it with punctuation like a period.

Have a nice day (period enter)

I am having trouble getting the voice to text to recognise 'exclamation mark' as a punctuation point in my N5. It continually writes it as text rather than punctuation. I have the language set to English UK. I note this command does work if I set the language to English US but then it doesn't understand anything else I say! The voice to text in English UK language works for all other punctuation commands. It's driving me nuts. Any ideas anyone?

have you tried "exclamation point". ?
    GT-5100 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
    I-9500 4.4.2 KitKat

Hi Bosbouer. Yes, I should have made it clear. I have tried 'exclamation point'; 'exclamation'. Nothing works. The frustrating thing is is that it does work if I switch the language in the settings menu to English US. That is weird. As I say however, can't keep it on English US as the device then fails to understand other words I say - wrong accent! I have actually inadvertently stepped into the wrong forum. I have a Google Nexus 5, operating on Kit Kat 4.42 now. (It was the same before update from 4.4 to 4.4.2). I was so excited at finding a thread that dealt with voice to text issues, I failed to see it was it was for Samsung devices......All Android though!

Quote Originally Posted by chokka21 View Post
    Hi Bosbouer. Yes, I should have made it clear. I have tried 'exclamation point'; 'exclamation'. Nothing works. The frustrating thing is is that it does work if I switch the language in the settings menu to English US. That is weird. As I say however, can't keep it on English US as the device then fails to understand other words I say - wrong accent! I have actually inadvertently stepped into the wrong forum. I have a Google Nexus 5, operating on Kit Kat 4.42 now. (It was the same before update from 4.4 to 4.4.2). I was so excited at finding a thread that dealt with voice to text issues, I failed to see it was it was for Samsung devices......All Android though!
    Have a look here, it is part of the Android central forum and you are already registered.
    Google Nexus 5 - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

I know the Voice to text app does the same when I try to use it with South African English and the US version spelling is not to my liking

Spikes
    GT-5100 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
    I-9500 4.4.2 KitKat

Thanks very much. I did find the N5 forum and have posted the same message to that site - no replies to date! Appreciate your effort to assist.

Hi: I am using JellyBean 4.2.2 on a Samsung Note 8. Using English US language dictation works quite well. Can use voice commands to insert a coma, period, new line or paragraph. However, when I change to Spanish (Mexico or Bolivia) the voice recognition in that language is good, but voice commands do not work.
    Question: does anyone know if JellyBean 4.3 corrects this issue. That is voice commands in languages other than US English are functional.
    Thanks

Hi: I am using JellyBean 4.2.2 on a Samsung Note 8. Using English US language dictation works quite well. Can use voice commands to insert a coma, period, new line or paragraph. However, when I change to Spanish the voice recognition in that language is good, but voice commands do not work.
    Question: does anyone know if JellyBean 4.3 corrects this issue. That is voice commands in languages other than US English are functional.
    Thanks