Help with my tab 2!

Lisa Taratoot

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
I have just been swiping to open the lock screen. All of a sudden it's asking for a password that I never set up. I've tried doing a hard reset and it just comes back up with the password bar. I'm so sad. Please help

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have just been swiping to open the lock screen. All of a sudden it's asking for a password that I never set up. I've tried doing a hard reset and it just comes back up with the password bar. I'm so sad. Please help

Welcome to the forums.
Is it the WiFi version?

dakeb

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Possibly someone had picked it up and set up a password on it without you knowing.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 2

Lisa Taratoot

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Definitely no one picked it up. I was using it at home, I set it down long enough for the screen to lock, I swiped it to open it and it asked for a password. I did the thing where you hold the power and the volume down button at the same time. It just says "downloading" for hours and ends up at the same password screen. Is that what you mean by resetting in recovery?

dakeb

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
This will wipe your data and reset your tab to factory conditions.

To perform factory/hard reset please follow those steps:

1. Turn the power off.
2. Press and Hold the Volume Up and Power button at the same time.
3. When the start up screen show, release all the buttons. Use the Volume keys to select Recovery Console then press the Power key.
4. Use the Volume Up/Down button to navigate to "wipe data/factory reset".
5. Select "wipe data/factory reset". Confirm using Power button.
6. Select "Yes -- delete all user data"
* Allow several minutes for the factory data reset process to complete.
7. Select "reboot system now". Confirm using Power button.
* Allow several minutes for the reboot process to complete.

dakeb

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
This will work, but you need to figure out how it got a screen lock password in the first place.

Lisa Taratoot

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Actually, when I do that it comes up the same reset screen I've been seeing. It says warning, a custom os can cause critical problems...volume up=cancel (restart phone) volume down=continue. I took a picture but I dont think you can put pictures on this forum.

dakeb

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
They should sort it out for you and get them to explain how it suddenly needs a password, they might need to check if it's faulty as well as simply reset it.