Galaxy Tab 10.1: firmware update

mctab

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I got notified today of a firmware update and tried to install it several times. Each time it failed and said I should try kies or take it to a samsung tech location(wherever that might be). I have heard about kies but never used it. All previous updates to firmware or os have worked. Where can I get instructions on using kies and where can I download kies and the firmware update?

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: firmware update

I got notified today of a firmware update and tried to install it several times. Each time it failed and said I should try kies or take it to a samsung tech location(wherever that might be). I have heard about kies but never used it. All previous updates to firmware or os have worked. Where can I get instructions on using kies and where can I download kies and the firmware update?

Welcome to the forums.
Kies is a Samsung Program that can be downloaded off their site. In this case, it might fix whatever problem there may be.

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site

I had the same problem and just tried using Kies to update. It doesn't work either. This is ridiculous. I lost faith in Samsung since the last update which disabled the ability to factory reset the device or to even turn it off (every attempt to turn it off just made it restart!). And now, I can't even update which I assume would alleviate those problems!

I used to hold only Google and Samsung high. Now I will only trust Google not to #$%^ up Android.

redtater

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site

Is this being rolled out OTA or does a person have to search for it. I haven't seen anything at all. Tried looking on the "software update" function in settings but nothing.

Camilo

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

I received the update notification and told it to update.

I later got a message - something to the effect "firmware update failed - use Kies or take the device to a Samsung Service Center".

Three questions:
Should I worry that the firmware wasn't updated?

What is Kies, how do I use it, should I use it (three questions in one!) I'm sorry, I really know nothing about Kies. Maybe a pointer to an i'diot's guide" or something.

Does this update fix the "won't turn off" problem with the Tab2 10.1?

Thanks!

HJStrawberry

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site

I am having the same problem. The tablet downloads the update, restarts itself, then says "firmware update failed".

I tried using Kies software, with the tablet plugged into my laptop, however when the tablet restarts, after the computer downloads the update, it looses the connection from the laptop and firmware update fails again.

I was also having the same problem where the tablet wont stay off, and was hoping this update would cure that issue, as it seems to have for others.

HELP!!!

97dakota

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site

I am having the same problem as well. Updating kies as I write this trying to get it to work.

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site

If you can't turn off your device, the update won't work by over-the-air nor by Kies. That's because the update relies on the device shutting down to install. I'm very disappointed with Samsung. I would attempt to install cyanogenmod but I've previously bricked a device on my first try with a different device and I've been paranoid since.

Dger51

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site

I'm having the same problem that everyone else is having. I got this notice of firmware upgrade around the same time, Dec. 14th. I have tried several times, just like others. No success at all. In the setting, it tells me that I last upgraded software in Aug. 2013. I don't have any issues
with my tablet staying off, in fact no problems at all. I think that I will just give up on the upgrade, I've spent way to much time on it, and I keep
getting the same failure to upgrade messages.
If anyone comes up with a solution to successfully upgrade, let me know.
Thanks

cahls

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site

I had this same issue and found it to be related to not staying off when shutdown. I found (in other posts) to get normal shutdowns, you needed to remove the external sd card. Unmount it and power down, not a reboot or restart. Do this on external AC power and cycle 3-4 normal shutdowns while remaining on AC power. After I did these things, my firmware update finally completed successfully. It is a good update fixing many issues like the shutdown one... I had been reading, searching, and had even called Samsung with no luck till I tried resolving the tablet to get a normal shutdown- which is what is causing the update to fail...

toolman2003

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site

Thanks Cahls for the upgrade resolution, followed it per your instructions and firmware is upgraded and unit will now shut down.

cahls

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site

Yes, newer firmware but still 4.2.2 Android OS...

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (WiFi)
Samsung Galaxy S3 (AT&T)

alexlam24

Banned
Oct 18, 2012
Visit site

My 7 inch tab just got a software update. Will bring smoother performance and software enhancements. Will come back with a overview

Sent from HTC Note Ultra Pro on T-Mobile

alexlam24

Banned
Oct 18, 2012
Visit site

My 7 inch tab just got a software update. Will bring smoother performance and software enhancements. Will come back with a overview

Significantly better performance, but it doesn't seem like something you could get excited about. The multi tasking button is a lot better now. Before if you pressed it, you would wait a whole second for it to load apps running. Seems like they now used Project butter to its advantage. I think they forgot it last time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa