Galaxy Tab 10.1: firmware update

Picasso71

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: firmware update

I had this same issue and found it to be related to not staying off when shutdown. I found (in other posts) to get normal shutdowns, you needed to remove the external sd card. Unmount it and power down, not a reboot or restart. Do this on external AC power and cycle 3-4 normal shutdowns while remaining on AC power. After I did these things, my firmware update finally completed successfully. It is a good update fixing many issues like the shutdown one... I had been reading, searching, and had even called Samsung with no luck till I tried resolving the tablet to get a normal shutdown- which is what is causing the update to fail...

Posted via Android Central App

My girfriend father and I both have the same tablet, both had the same issue. I found that the only thing we had to do was unmount and remove our SD cards, then restart once, then go to check for updates. At that point it redownloaded the failed update, rebooted/installed, all was good. I didnt have mine plugged in, but the gf's dad did. They both worked, didnt have reboot 4 times etc.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 4

cahls

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site

The first time I removed the card and rebooted- I removed power and cycled it again. Then it restarted on its own again... The only way mine stopped self restarting was by remaining on AC power. I cycled it a few times (3 or 4 times) to ensure it would not self restart, that that was purged from the system, whatever was causing that behavior... Once the self restarting was eliminated, it was able to complete the updste... Glad you were able to do the update, it is a good one, not only fixing this issue, but it seems to greatly extend my battery life among other features...

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (WiFi)
Samsung Galaxy S3 (AT&T)

subzer004

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site

I can't update firmware either. Tried it on tablet after it restarts it says firmware failed to update use kies. I plugged my tablet into my computer opened up kies tried to update it through there and when it goes to firmware upgrade progress nothing fn happens. the cancel button is grayed out and the progress bar doesn't move at all. This is ridiculous first my tablet turns on after turning off with the last update and now this

cahls

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site

If you do what I previously posted, it will fix this...

Samsung Galaxy S3 (AT&T)

LJBGDADDY

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site

The first time I removed the card and rebooted- I removed power and cycled it again. Then it restarted on its own again... The only way mine stopped self restarting was by remaining on AC power. I cycled it a few times (3 or 4 times) to ensure it would not self restart, that that was purged from the system, whatever was causing that behavior... Once the self restarting was eliminated, it was able to complete the updste... Glad you were able to do the update, it is a good one, not only fixing this issue, but it seems to greatly extend my battery life among other features...

I have a question about the work around that you found worked for you ? What Version and Build # were you using when you tried this fix? I am currently running 4.2.2 and using the last build update
"P5113UEUCMH2". The last update they gave us doesn't allow the Tablet to power down completely. It just reboots and says failed and blah blah blah Use kies and your computer . Welp, tried that and got a grayed out Kies app window and tablet that just sits there after downloading the firmware again.

I also tried your solution in conjunction with the other I saw on this thread and that doesnt work either... Plugged, unplugged, unmounted SD card... numerous times ...NO Joy....

I am starting to gather that the unfortunate lot of us that are running this build will have to wait until they fix the "MH2" power down issue/hiccup that is inhibiting the tablet from installing the newest update?

Thoughts anyone ????... and if anyone else is running the same version and build as I and have found the work around .. please don't hesitate to respond....

cahls

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site

You are right, it is a shutdown issue. Kies has nothing to do with it. Also, since this fixed my tablet, I don't have the build number available. It was version 4.2.2 and my woes began like others after upgrading from 4.1... Mine is a WiFi tablet versus one with a phone carrier. It was current on all P5113 updates. I posted this fix on 3 fourms and it seems that about 10 others have been able to fix their tablets with this just as I was able to... I was able to ascertain the sd cards caused the issue on the last update. This shutdown/restarting issue does not allow the newest update to begin the installation, hence it fails and Kies can not do it either... I did leave my sd card out thru this whole process because my tablet would restart if I removed power then started it... I wanted to be able to consistently start and shutdown my table repeatedly and regularly. I was able to reproduce the malfunction and able to reproduce the normal shutdown proccess using my fix... You will know if it will work- if it starts into the OS, it has failed... If it is working, you will see the digital android updating percentages before it loads the OS, and this update then takes some time...

Samsung Galaxy S3 (AT&T)

Camilo

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

I finally got the firmware to update .... by using the "won't shut down" workaround mentioned above - remove SD card, keep it plugged in to AC power, cycle on and off (OFF, not restart) several times.

The first couple of times I tried the above, it didn't fix the "won't shut down" problem. Maybe sporadically, or when on the lock screen, but not consistently or permanently enough to allow the firmware to update.

I don't know what I did differently when it finally was able to update the firmware. Maybe I put the SD card back in after the on/off cycling intervention? Maybe it was just happenstance where the firmware update happened when the tablet decided to shutdown that particular time. I'm sorry, I just lost track of the exact stuff I was doing.

All I know is now the tablet has no problem with shut down whether the SD card is in or not, and it doesn't matter if the power's plugged in or if it's working off a lock screen (all of those factors seemed to sporadically affect the shutdown before, none consistently, but seemed to be involved from time to time somehow).

So my recommendation is to at least give this workaround a few tries and if you're lucky eventually it will work.

Dger51

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site

I followed your instruction all of the way. Tried once again to update, with no success again. I will leave the SD card out, and try again tomorrow, after a few more shut down. Sure would like to get this thing updated, I've been trying for about 2 weeks now.

toy4x

May 2, 2011
Visit site

Me too... Mine will not take the update with or without sd card. I've tried about 20x each now restarting, power down, and holding down power button with no luck. I'm tired of this....

Sent from my DNA

redtater

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site

I still have not received any indication that there is even an update out there? Is this being rolled out? Or do I need to do something in order to get it?

EdroidC3

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site

This fixed it! The 'trick' is to make sure the Tab 2 is on AC power -- USB cable connected to a CHARGER, not to a USB port on a PC/Laptop. Cycle power until the thing stays off, displaying the battery being charged. Then power back up, check for updates, and it should install correctly. BTW, this is a 4.2.2 firmware update from Ver: PDA/MH2 / CSC:MH2 to Ver: PDA:MK3 / CSC:MK3.

ekura

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site

I've tried the restart on AC power with no SD card process to clear the shutdown problem, with inconsistent results. It has shut down a few times, and each time I try to update after restarting - with no success. Been through this cycle about 10 times. Any other ideas on how I might fix this? It's pretty time-consuming because it downloads all 64Mb of the update with each attempt.

Thanks!

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site

I finally got my tablet to install the firmware update after trolling through a thousand forums and trying about a million things ;D Here's what worked for me:

• Charge tablet to 100% using wall outlet, not computer usb port
  • Unmount and remove SD card
  • Power off - The only way I could get mine to do this (and it didn't even work every time) was from my lock screen where I enter my password (See screen shot below). It never worked for me from my home screen or anywhere else.
    2014-01-11 14.50.02.png
    Hold down the power button and choose "Power Off". Not restart.
  • After successfully powering off to the screen where you see the blinking battery (might have to try it 4 or 5 times to get to that complete power off), press power button for 2 seconds to turn tablet back on.
  • When tablet is back on and you get to your home screen, re-insert SD card
  • Download update by going to Settings>About Device>Software update>Update
  • Once update is downloaded go ahead and choose "Install Now"
  • Message will pop-up saying device will restart. Touch "OK"

I tried all of these things so many different ways and in different orders I'm still shocked that I finally got it to work! I think that it will only allow the update to install after a complete power off. Don't know if it will work for anyone else but I hope so since it doesn't appear that Samsung is going to have a fix anytime soon.

Good luck!!

ekura

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site

Woohoo!! Thank You Thank You!! I followed your process exactly, and it finally updated!

One thing I noticed is that if you hold down the power button until the screen clears, that seems to shut down the device. Might be a rough shutdown, like pulling the plug on a PC, but at least it cuts off the power, and seemed to do the trick for this process.

:D

redtater

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site

Finally got mine to update....Did all of the above and it took about 15 times but it finally worked. Tablet shuts off now.......Happy camper!

acknapp

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I was told by Samsung customer support that the issue is with the amount of traffic on their upgrade server. They said the upgrade process needs to communicate with the server right at the beginning of the upgrade. If it doesn't reach the server, the tablet will just restart. He said they are having problems keeping the upgrade servers running because of so many people trying to upgrade, so it's hit or miss whether or not you will succeed. For example, yesterday he said the only server running was the one that feeds the upgrade to Kies, so he said that's the only way I would have a chance.

He said if no luck after repeated attempts, I should call their repair center and arrange to send it in for a re-image, but at the upgraded level. Look like I'll end up sending it in, as I have tried a lot.

--Allen

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
After swearing I wouldn't I finally upgraded from 4.1.2 to 4.2.2 the other day. I only did so because Google + would no longer play my upload videos.

I did it over the air and it worked fine although it did two upgrade cycles. One initially and then another shortly after reboot. It's been fine ever since and I'm actually liking (to my surprise) the new lay out. Seems a little faster as well.

cahls

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Travaz, carrier does not matter... it is a hardware issue caused by a previous update that prevents a normal shutdown independent of carrier or method (Airway, wifi, Kies, etc...)

Acknapp, someone reading to you what his computer checklist says did not understand the situation. And Samsung has never accpeted nor acknowledged this issue... This has nothing to do with busy servers... If the tablet can not perform a normal shutdown, it cannot retart properly to perform the upgrade prior to restarting...

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition (WiFi)
Samsung Galaxy S3 (AT&T)

broadbill

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi all; I joined this forum to discuss this issue specifically and my experiences thus far.

After reading the forum yesterday, I realized my tablet was suffering from the no-shutdown-problem and that was the reason I couldn't get the latest update to install.

Unfortunately, cahls method for getting it to shutdown (unmounting SD, plugged into AC, and powering off) did not work. I then futzed around with powering it on/off until it got to the point where I couldn't get the OS running anymore and could only get Android Recovery. I could not reboot OS from Android Recovery (kept throwing Error! message) Thinking all was lost anyway (pretty close to bricking it, thought I was there on multiple occasions), I did a factory reset and cache partition wipe. That didn't seem to help at first either (thining it was def. bricked at this point), so I plugged it back into AC, gave it few minutes (more like giving myself a few minutes!), and tried again. Now it could boot to the OS, which version I don't know (not sure what firmware the factory reset put me at, and I didn't have time this morning to go through setup).

So no-joy on getting around no-shutoff thing, no-joy on getting the update that should fix it. Not sure if I want to go on, since it looks like I came close to bricking it messing around with it last night. I might leave good enough alone, turn off auto-update and give it to the kids for a glorified video player, buy myself an iPad. Or I might root it. Don't know.

Anybody have any idea how I screwed it up so bad the OS wouldn't boot, or how to possibly get that update on there? Very frustrating.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay