Galaxy Tab 10.1: firmware update

Chureta Vieira

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Re: firmware update

My tablet didn't shut down and I could not install the new firmware available on Samsung Website after the last update I made last January... But finally 6 months later I could save the problem.
I was able to make the update today. Now my tablet works perfectly... it shut down normally and I could install the new firmware.
The procedure I used is a mix of some posts that I read here. So thank you all for your posts...

First I tested a way TO SHOW DOWN the tablet.
While using the tablet normally press the POWER button so the screen gets locked. ( just press for less than 1 second)
Then with the black screen press again the POWER button. ( just press for less than 1 second)
Now it shows the "welcome screen" that you need to swipe to unlock.
But DO NOT SWIPE. Just press again the POWER button but leave it pressed until appear the menu saying Restart / Plane Mode / Shut Down.
Select SHUT DOWN and the tablet shuts down... It worked for me.

Second TO INSTALL NEW FIRMWARE
Go to settings / about device.
Search for new updates and let the Tablet make the download.
After de download is complete, say Yes to install the update.
Just after that the tablet says that will restart in 30 seconds.
After the message and before it restarts for itself, you press the POWER button for less than 1 second, just to lock the screen
Then with the black screen press again the POWER button. ( just press for less than 1 second)
Now it shows the "welcome screen" that you need to swipe to unlock.
But DO NOT SWIPE. Just press again the POWER button but leave it pressed until appear the menu saying Restart / Plane Mode / Shut Down.
Select Restart.
After restart I swipe to unlock the screen and there was still the message saying that the Tablet will restart, I selected restart (or wait).
In this second restart appeared the Android Icon and a progress bar with Software Update.
When finished the tablet goes off.
After turn on the tablet by pressing the power button and it install some more updates and voila... it works perfectly.

Peter Ross1

Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
I just received 4.4.2 for Tab 3 10.1
I use wifi and updated just fine
Unfortunately I use "Hours Tracker pro" It is payday tomorrow and my data is lost as the new update has screwed up my
ability to retrieve my times for the last 2 weeks :( I do not know what I am going to do

Artem Kor

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
I just received 4.4.2 for Tab 3 10.1
I use wifi and updated just fine
Unfortunately I use "Hours Tracker pro" It is payday tomorrow and my data is lost as the new update has screwed up my
ability to retrieve my times for the last 2 weeks :( I do not know what I am going to do
Could you please advise which exactly model of Tab-3 10.1 do you have?
On my Tab-3 10.1 P-5200 update to 4.4.2 is not available. It is still on 4.2.2. with big lags.

Michael Orris

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site

I have a question about the work around that you found worked for you ? What Version and Build # were you using when you tried this fix? I am currently running 4.2.2 and using the last build update
"P5113UEUCMH2". The last update they gave us doesn't allow the Tablet to power down completely. It just reboots and says failed and blah blah blah Use kies and your computer . Welp, tried that and got a grayed out Kies app window and tablet that just sits there after downloading the firmware again.

I also tried your solution in conjunction with the other I saw on this thread and that doesnt work either... Plugged, unplugged, unmounted SD card... numerous times ...NO Joy....

I am starting to gather that the unfortunate lot of us that are running this build will have to wait until they fix the "MH2" power down issue/hiccup that is inhibiting the tablet from installing the newest update?

Thoughts anyone ????... and if anyone else is running the same version and build as I and have found the work around .. please don't hesitate to respond....

Or another solution. You don't have to unmount the external sd. You can simply let your Samsung galaxy tab device completely die. Plug it in, then install firmware.

bvmoore49

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
I thought my head would implode reading all this. all that about removing the SD card. Never had one. I've done all the shutting off stuff, the plugging in to the computer vs the outlet, doing it via wifi/via pc, doing it over and over and over for literally months and months now. Nothing. I got to the post about shutting it down and restarting by pressing the power button and the down volume at the same time. did that, went to settings and About device, selected Update.....and holy mother of God...it did it. Just like that. NO idea. But 4.2.2 is there. I know NOTHING about computers so don't ask me anything. just an fyi. good luck.
:p

Jim Lyon100

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
I'm having the same no shut down issues on my tab pro 10.1 running 4.2.2. Seems like there are two approaches here, cahls method which involves unmounting the SD card, thank you cahls, and broadbill's recovery mode method, which Samsung apparently is also using via tech support, thanks also to you broadbill.
Seems like some people who have used the recovery mode method have ended up with other more serious problems, so I am inclined to try cahls method first, but I have no SD card. Any thoughts on whether I should buy one or not to try and get that working?

Guido492

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
This fix saved me! Thank you broadbill. This post should be a sticky for future users.
1. Go to software update
2. Downloaded the update
3. Choose to install later
4. Plug tablet in and shut down the system
5. Us the volume down and power button to boot into recovery
6. Choose update from Cache
7. Choose the Fota Options
8. choose install.zip
9. Let the install go through
10. Choose reboot system now and when the screen goes dark plug in the tablet.
11. Power the tablet back on and wait for tablet to update.

Kari Dimock

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site

If you do what I previously posted, it will fix this...

Posted via Android Central App
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (WiFi)
Samsung Galaxy S3 (AT&T)

I went to try what you guys said taking out the external SD card but I don't have one in there? Wth do I do now? 😐 please help

harrieK

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
hi! thanks, ill try it!! and one small doubt, does this update erase all the data? cuz i have this app, which is a 3rd party application and the data cant be backed up:(... it happened once, and i lost ALL the data...

harrieK

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site

hi! thanks, ill try it!! and one small doubt, does this update erase all the data? cuz i have this app, which is a 3rd party application and the data cant be backed up:(... it happened once, and i lost ALL the data...

Tim Rantz

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
Dear broadbill
your the hero!! after many hours of trying others suggestions, yours was the winner! Thank you! Hope to help you out next time.

dnopogano

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Hello,
I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (GT-P7500 model), current Android version 3.1. The tablet works fine, but it has some issues with synchronization.. It doesn't sync to any Google account (I tried 4 different accounts). Whenever I try to download some app from GooglePlay, I get an error (beginning with RPC:S-7:AEC-0). I can't update the firmware, because the tablet can't seem to communicate with the server, and I can not connect the tablet to a PC because it doesn't have the regular USB connector. All I have available is WiFi access and some adapter that allows me to connect a USB stick to the tablet and transfer some files on it.

Before I came here, I searched the web for solutions, and none of them seems to work (clearing cache, removing and re-adding accounts, factory reset).

So, with that in mind, the only solution that I can think of is to try to update the hardware offline, meaning to put the hardware update on an USB stick, transfer it to my tablet and run it locally. Is that possible? If so, please hook me up with a valid firmware for my tablet. Please help me, it's driving me crazy.

CRF1958

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
I have a problem that I haven't seen addressed. Mt Tab2 doesn't have the MK3 update yet. I have the no shut down problem, like everyone else has. I can get my tab to the point where my tab shuts down. I can then boot it up with no issues. My problem is, my tablet does not see the update. When I do the check for update, nothing shoes up. How do I get my tab to see the update?

CRF1958

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
Got it. I had to use a combination of the methods posted here, but I finally got my tab to see and update. Back working properly. Thanks to everyone who posted solutions here.

GCMMJW

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site

I have had the problem of repeated starts when trying to shut down my Tab 2. And I never thought to attempt a shut down when on external AC power. When I came across the article by cahls, I decided to give it a try. Once on external AC power, I tried to shut down the Tab 2. After one or two attempts resulting in automatic restarts, the Tab began to shut down on the first attempt. I repeated several starts and stops with no resulting unsolicited restarts. I then downloaded the update file. When the download was complete and the Install screen appeared, I pressed Install. When the screen indicated that a reboot would occur, I pressed OK. Then I got the usual ‘Update failed’ result. So I tried the download again. This time when the message about the reboot occurring appeared, instead of pressing OK, I pressed the power button. I think I pressed and released immediately but I may have pressed and held for a short time. In any event, I was soon greeted with a screen showing the Android figure and a message that indicated the firmware was being installed. Installation took awhile, but the shut down problem is resolved – finally, and definitely primarily due to the external AC advice.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance