Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default See-saw Battery/Charge Indicator Problem

Apologies if this issue has been already dealt with under a different label, but I've searched to forum & couldn't find the answer.

I've recently acquired a Tab 2 10.1, and the battery indicator appears to 'see saw' on its own. What I mean by this is that it charges to 100%, then within a hour or so, drops randomly to (say) 20%. then without doing anything, it creeps back up to 50%, then perhaps 75%. And then down to 10%, or so, and then creeps up. Every time the charge randomly drops below 20%, I get a 'charge notification' message.

The device is running KitKat 4.4.2, and I've dowloaded a battery monitoring app to see what's going on - a screenshot is attached below. This battery pattern is happening also when the device is not being used, i.e. just sat on the table with screen turned off.

See-saw Battery/Charge Indicator Problem-screenshot_2014-07-13-07-23-30.png

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Default Re: See-saw Battery/Charge Indicator Problem

I have the same problem, and found your post while looking for a solution.
    Android 4.2.2, on a GT-5113, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1

It happened right after I ran copilot, and the drain on the battery was so great
    that it got hot. The battery "burn rate" for the Tab monitor appears to be out in the weeds, with
    a flipped sign. I'm looking to avoid a reset and restore.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails See-saw Battery/Charge Indicator Problem-2014-09-23-18.22.56.jpg  

I fixed it with the following procedure:
    After a normal boot, press and hold the power button continuously.
    The tablet will shutdown and reboot repeatedly.
    Hold the button down for at least 4 complete shutdown/restart cycles, never releasing the button.
    After that treatment the battery status shows a nice, normal discharge curve, starting from whatever random place the sawtooth pattern left you at. Run the tablet until it powers down by itself, and then recharge it.

The ugly sawtooth battery status first appeared on the tablet after running an intensely power-hungry application (the battery got hot after 20 or so minutes of running). After that, the discharge rate seemed to have a flipped sign, where if normal discharge rate per minute was positive, the altered, aberrant discharge rate was negative. CoPilot was the offending software; however, that may be a post hoc ergo propter hoc logic error on my part.
    The messed-up discharge rate would prematurely terminate charging if the table was on, so the only way to get a full charge was to turn the tablet off and attach the charger.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin TB View Post
    Apologies if this issue has been already dealt with under a different label, but I've searched to forum & couldn't find the answer.

I've recently acquired a Tab 2 10.1, and the battery indicator appears to 'see saw' on its own. What I mean by this is that it charges to 100%, then within a hour or so, drops randomly to (say) 20%. then without doing anything, it creeps back up to 50%, then perhaps 75%. And then down to 10%, or so, and then creeps up. Every time the charge randomly drops below 20%, I get a 'charge notification' message.

The device is running KitKat 4.4.2, and I've dowloaded a battery monitoring app to see what's going on - a screenshot is attached below. This battery pattern is happening also when the device is not being used, i.e. just sat on the table with screen turned off.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2014-07-13-07-23-30.png 
Views:	3 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	128299

Any help would be highly appreciated.
    I don't know. I don't know the KitKat version and you may also need to get help. But I think it's the system charge problem, but please go on to get help.

Posted via International Space Station