a problem seeing the sd card from my laptop

reble

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy tablet 2-10.1, GT-P5113. The tablet sees the sd card and the files on the sd card when I use ether File Explorer or Total Commander app's on the tablet. But when I connect the tablet to the laptop via the USB cable. The laptop only sees the tablet an not the sd card in the tablet. Why?

Steve

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! When connected via USB, swipe down the notification panel and tap the USB icon. Is MTP selected?

reble

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
B. Diddy. When I plug the tablets USB cable into the USB port on my (Windows) laptop. The 1st screen pops up telling me that I am connected to the laptop. See this link. https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ad82dnh2e7ypc/gt-p5113 auto play.jpg?dl=0 Then I click on "Open device to view file" I click on it and get the next screen capture picture. https://www.dropbox.com/s/sxkw8vhtgbot3wt/this is all i see.jpg?dl=0 . I can't get into the SD card from the laptop side of the USB cable.

Welcome to Android Central! When connected via USB, swipe down the notification panel and tap the USB icon. Is MTP selected?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry--I meant on the tablet screen. You need to make sure the tablet is connecting to the PC in MTP mode. Sometimes it might default to Charge Only or PTP.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hmm. Is the Tab 2's internal storage broken into a smaller App Storage area and a larger "internal SD"? Can you show us a screenshot of the Settings>Storage menu? If the Tab 2 uses this older way of partitioning the internal storage, that might prevent the tablet from showing the external SD card when connected to the computer.

reble

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
Here is the screen capture that you asked for.

Screenshot storage.jpg

Hmm. Is the Tab 2's internal storage broken into a smaller App Storage area and a larger "internal SD"? Can you show us a screenshot of the Settings>Storage menu? If the Tab 2 uses this older way of partitioning the internal storage, that might prevent the tablet from showing the external SD card when connected to the computer.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Well, that's a dead end. The tablet has "unified storage," which is the norm these days.

Let's go back a few steps. When you connect the tablet via USB and you see that dialog box on your PC screen, instead of selecting anything, just click the red X to make the dialog go away. Wait a few seconds--does the SD card pop up next?

Also, after making those dialog boxes go away, open Windows Explorer and look at the device list on the left side--do you see the tablet there? Do you see a down-arrow next to it? If so, click it and see if it shows you Internal Storage and SD Card. This is how it works for my ZenFone 2 (I have Windows 10).

Another thing to try is to make sure the proper USB drivers are installed. They should be included in Samsung Kies, or you can find them here: Download Center: Download Software, Firmware, Drivers & Manuals | Samsung

reble

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
B. Diddy I uploaded a few screen captures. 1st is what Windows Explorer see's when I 1st open it with the tablet connected. 2nd is when I click on the tablet's dir. 3rd is when my cell phone is connect. The tablet should look the same as the cell phone with the sd card showing. I also have the latest drivers for the tablet downloaded and installed.

OOO a ps. The D: drive is my external USB HDD and the G: drive is a SD card reader built into the laptop

Well, that's a dead end. The tablet has "unified storage," which is the norm these days.

Let's go back a few steps. When you connect the tablet via USB and you see that dialog box on your PC screen, instead of selecting anything, just click the red X to make the dialog go away. Wait a few seconds--does the SD card pop up next?

Also, after making those dialog boxes go away, open Windows Explorer and look at the device list on the left side--do you see the tablet there? Do you see a down-arrow next to it? If so, click it and see if it shows you Internal Storage and SD Card. This is how it works for my ZenFone 2 (I have Windows 10).

Another thing to try is to make sure the proper USB drivers are installed. They should be included in Samsung Kies, or you can find them here: Download Center: Download Software, Firmware, Drivers & Manuals | Samsung

Attachments

• windows explorer.jpg
    windows explorer.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 0
  • windows explorer gt-p5113.jpg
    windows explorer gt-p5113.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 0
  • windows explorer opm92.jpg
    windows explorer opm92.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 0

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The PC shouldn't be recognizing the tablet as a "Portable Media Player." What other USB connection options do you have besides MTP when you connect the tablet to the PC?

When you connect the phone to your PC, is it also labelled "Portable Media Player"?

reble

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
Yes the cell phone is seen as a "Portable Media Player". There is the laser jet printer, the f: drive dvd optical drive reader, and the D: HDD. The optical drive and the D HDD are in there own external USB cases connect to a different USB port on the laptop via a powered USB hub.

The PC shouldn't be recognizing the tablet as a "Portable Media Player." What other USB connection options do you have besides MTP when you connect the tablet to the PC?

When you connect the phone to your PC, is it also labelled "Portable Media Player"?

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
This is Windows 7, right? It's been a while since I've used Win 7, so I'm not sure if I'll remember any oddities that might have been associated with it.

Just to be sure you have the latest drivers, try installing Samsung Kies or Samsung Smart Switch (which should include the drivers).

Also, can you tell us what other options besides MTP show up on the tablet when you select the USB connection options?

reble

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
I am not sure what you mean by "what other options besides MTP show up on the tablet when you select the USB connection options". Here is some more screen captures. I hope this helps. Ps yes on Windows 7.

This is Windows 7, right? It's been a while since I've used Win 7, so I'm not sure if I'll remember any oddities that might have been associated with it.

Just to be sure you have the latest drivers, try installing Samsung Kies or Samsung Smart Switch (which should include the drivers).

Also, can you tell us what other options besides MTP show up on the tablet when you select the USB connection options?

Attachments

• speccy.jpg
    speccy.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 2
  • tab pull down menu.jpg
    tab pull down menu.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 1
  • tablet usb connection Screenshot.jpg
    tablet usb connection Screenshot.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 1

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I am not sure what you mean by "what other options besides MTP show up on the tablet when you select the USB connection options"

Typically, if you swipe down the notification panel after connecting the phone to your PC via USB, there's a USB notification icon. If you tap that notification icon, it gives you various options for how you want to connect (typically MTP, PTP, Charge Only). Sometimes, this is located elsewhere in the system settings menu, so you may have to look through there to find it.

EDIT: Never mind, I just saw the options you found in the System Settings. It looks like you have that part set up correctly.

One of the other screenshots shows a notification for a software update--have you done the update yet?

reble

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
No on the software update. I have been trying to kill the software update on the tablet and the system update on my cell phone.

Typically, if you swipe down the notification panel after connecting the phone to your PC via USB, there's a USB notification icon. If you tap that notification icon, it gives you various options for how you want to connect (typically MTP, PTP, Charge Only). Sometimes, this is located elsewhere in the system settings menu, so you may have to look through there to find it.

EDIT: Never mind, I just saw the options you found in the System Settings. It looks like you have that part set up correctly.

One of the other screenshots shows a notification for a software update--have you done the update yet?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh, that's right--I recall your other thread on that. But I wonder if that might be part of the issue.

I would also still recommend reinstalling the drivers, even if you think you have the latest.

reble

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
How is "that might be part of the issue"?

Steve

Oh, that's right--I recall your other thread on that. But I wonder if that might be part of the issue.

I would also still recommend reinstalling the drivers, even if you think you have the latest.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I meant that perhaps not having the device's system up to date might be part of the issue with the USB interface.

reble

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
I finely figured out the problem with the sd card. How it got that way is a mystery. The sd card is unmounted and has been wiped clean. Again I have no clue as to were all the app's and the dir's on sd card went to. At lease that solves the problem as to why the laptop can't see the sd card. There is nothing for the laptop to see. The pull down menu says the sd card is "blank or has unsupported file system". All attempts to format the sd card have failed. I have the users guide for the tablet.

A ps, when I try to format the sd card. 1st thing that pops up is "sd card is been checked" then "media insert event: media _unmounted at file:///storage/extsdcard" then this pops up "media insert event: media _nofs at file:///storage/extsdcard". Then it just drops out the tablet's desktop

Steve

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis