re: info on a docking station for samsung galaxy tab 2-10.1

reble

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
re: info on a docking station for samsung galaxy tab 2-10.1

This docking station that I got from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JSIFJZ...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5326982 works fine except for the fact that the tablet can't charge when it is plugged into the laptop USB port. When I plug the tablet into the wall wart that came with it. The tablet charges. It doesn't matter whether the tablet is in the docking station or directly plugged into the USB port on the laptop. The battery icon on the tablet has a red X over the battery icon saying (according to the tablets manual) that there is not enough power coming out of the USB port on the laptop to charge the battery in the tablet. Is there a way to adapt this docking station so I can plug in the wall wart at the same time the laptop is plugged in. But the tablet only draws the charging power from the wall wart and not from the laptop? Like the external USB HDD case that I have. So far I haven't seen a powered docking station for the Samsung Galaxy tab 2-10.1 GT-P5113.

reble

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
re: the docking station that i got for samsung galaxy tab 2-10.1

The docking station that I got from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JSIFJZ...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5327283 is missing a part. I am not sure what this part does exactly. It is a "5 in 1 Galaxy tab OTG connection. I have figured out from the pictures that it has a USB port and what looks several different types of sd card readers. See the screen capture pictures.

Steve

Attachments

• 5 &1 otg connection.jpg
    5 &1 otg connection.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 5 &1 otg connection1.jpg
    5 &1 otg connection1.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 10

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: the docking station that i got for samsung galaxy tab 2-10.1

Are you saying that the dock won't work without that part? Or were you expecting this 5-in-1 adapter to come with the dock?

The Amazon link you shared shows the dock, but if you click on the thumbnail for that 5-in-1 adapter, the product title changes to what that OTG adapter is called. So I don't think the adapter was part of a package with the dock--it's a completely separate listing.

EDIT: Sorry, I just noticed the two separate threads you created about this, which I just merged together. Regarding the question in your first post, a computer USB port typically delivers much lower current than a wall outlet, and it may not be enough for some devices (especially if you're actively using it).

reble

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site

It is my understanding that if the picture is in the thumbnail then it is part of the package. The docking station does work without the adapter. Is there a way to make this docking
station a powered dock. Were the tablet will draw the power from the wall wart plugged in on a different jack to the dock? I haven't found a powered docking station. Do you know were I can find a wiring diagram for a powered docking station. If I could find the service manual for the tablet I mite beable to figure it out. I am a fairly good jarry rigger.
Are you saying that the dock won't work without that part? Or were you expecting this 5-in-1 adapter to come with the dock?

The Amazon link you shared shows the dock, but if you click on the thumbnail for that 5-in-1 adapter, the product title changes to what that OTG adapter is called. So I don't think the adapter was part of a package with the dock--it's a completely separate listing.

EDIT: Sorry, I just noticed the two separate threads you created about this, which I just merged together. Regarding the question in your first post, a computer USB port typically delivers much lower current than a wall outlet, and it may not be enough for some devices (especially if you're actively using it).

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

It is my understanding that if the picture is in the thumbnail then it is part of the package.

No, this isn't the case. I've seen this before as well, and I agree it can be misleading. You'll notice on that link that if you click on the thumbnail for the 5-in-1 adapter, the price changes. So it's not part of a package.

I thought you said in your first post that the dock does charge if it's plugged into a wall outlet (but not if plugged into a computer USB port)?

reble

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site

I don't know if I made a goof. But the tablet does the same thing on the docking station or directly plugged into the laptop. The tablet won't charge off the laptops USB port but the tablet will charge off the wall wart that came with it. If I could find a wiring diagram that describes how a powered docking station in wired. I can adapt the passive feed through docking station that I have. I found a powered docking station for my tablet on Ebay. But I don't know if the seller has more then 1 and the sale is ending before I get payed.

Steve

No, this isn't the case. I've seen this before as well, and I agree it can be misleading. You'll notice on that link that if you click on the thumbnail for the 5-in-1 adapter, the price changes. So it's not part of a package.

I thought you said in your first post that the dock does charge if it's plugged into a wall outlet (but not if plugged into a computer USB port)?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: info on a docking station for samsung galaxy tab 2-10.1

How is the docking station itself connected to the power source (be it a wall outlet or a computer USB port)? Did the dock come with an AC transformer plug with a proprietary DC connector that plugs into the dock? Or is it a USB cable that can connect to a computer USB port or an AC wallwart?

reble

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site

This is the link to the docking station that I have https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5332382 note they took out the thumbnail pictures for the galaxy tab 5 in 1 otg connector. There is no DC socket for the wall wart to plug into the docking station. It is all done via the small USB plug in the back. The plug in the back of the docking station takes the same standard USB cable as my HTC Desire cell phone. The docking station is a direct feed through with 1 extura thing. A blue led that comes on when the docking station is plugged in.

How is the docking station itself connected to the power source (be it a wall outlet or a computer USB port)? Did the dock come with an AC transformer plug with a proprietary DC connector that plugs into the dock? Or is it a USB cable that can connect to a computer USB port or an AC wallwart?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Ok, so let me make sure I have this correct:

1. The dock has a microUSB port in the back.
2. You have a microUSB-to-USB cable plugged into the back of the dock.
3. That cable is plugged into a working wallwart (that you've tested with other devices).
4. The tablet is in the dock, with the connector all the way in.

And the tablet still isn't charging? If so, then the dock is defective. Contact Amazon for a refund.

reble

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site

1. Yes it is a microUSB port on the back.
2. Yes the cable is plugged into the back of the dock.
3. Yes this is the wallwart that came with the tablet and it works fine with other devices.
4. Yes the tablet is seated right on the docking station.
We don't seem to be quite on the same page. The tablet does charge when in the docking station and the docking station is plugged into the tablets wallwart that came with the tablet. What I want to do is have the wallwart charging the tablet while the usb cable is plugged into the laptop. Without drawing charge power from the laptop. Right now with the current setup I can have the dock plugged into the laptop or the wallwart but not at the same time.

Ok, so let me make sure I have this correct:

1. The dock has a microUSB port in the back.
2. You have a microUSB-to-USB cable plugged into the back of the dock.
3. That cable is plugged into a working wallwart (that you've tested with other devices).
4. The tablet is in the dock, with the connector all the way in.

And the tablet still isn't charging? If so, then the dock is defective. Contact Amazon for a refund.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

What I want to do is have the wallwart charging the tablet while the usb cable is plugged into the laptop.

Oh I see. I doubt this is possible, because you can only connect the dock (or the tablet, for that matter) to either a wall outlet or the computer USB port, but not both at the same time. I assume this is why you were asking about wiring diagrams (which I know nothing about), but I'm not sure how difficult it would be to split the charging wires from the data transfer wires within the cable.

One possibility to consider is to use a wireless file transfer solution like AirDroid or Wi-fi File Explorer.

reble

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site

I looked at the inside of that docking station. It can be wired as a powered docking station. There is room for the extira power regulator board. But I can't do the mod. It is because of why I had to stop repairing radios, tv's and so on for a living. I have miro tremors in my hands. I can't keep the soldering iron still to work on miro pc boards. I can still work on things that aren't as small, like restoring old tube and tube/transistor rigs that have point to point wiring and 1st and 2nd gen pc boards.

Oh I see. I doubt this is possible, because you can only connect the dock (or the tablet, for that matter) to either a wall outlet or the computer USB port, but not both at the same time. I assume this is why you were asking about wiring diagrams (which I know nothing about), but I'm not sure how difficult it would be to split the charging wires from the data transfer wires within the cable.

One possibility to consider is to use a wireless file transfer solution like AirDroid or Wi-fi File Explorer.