Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    ROM
    cm-10-20121014-NIGHTLY-t

Default Re: Not using external SD Card

Not using external SD Card-screenshot_2012-09-12-21-59-47.jpg
    I have less than 20 downloaded apps and it is giving me a low memory warning, I had to remove GTA III so I would be able to use my GT2, yet I have a 32 GB card that it is not being use by the system, I do not want my apps running from the SD because of the performance issue involved with it, but I want my photos, data, and other items stored on the SD not on the internal memory. There has to be a way to accomplish this. It just does not make any sense to have applications that uses 200 to 300 mb of space then they double on with the data taking so much space, besides if it is 8GB where is the remainder of my space at????

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Android Central Forums
    Last edited by salpiche; 09-12-2012 at 09:08 PM.

Angry Re: Not using external SD Card

@Taunting...this is EXACTLY what BST is asking as the identical thing is happening with my fiance's Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0. So what is the fix? Does anyone know if Samsung has an update fix for this? We can't even find where to check the available space on the "removable storage". Any and all help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!! 😢

Just an FYI, I've been in contact with Samsung Support via Twitter for the past couple days regarding this. She requested the link for the thread here after I was trying to explain the issue. Thank you everyone here who explained it much better than I could She is sending this issue to the tech team & I'll update you all when I hear back! Maybe we'll have a solution soon!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Another way this is a problem is that some apps won't let you navigate to extsd in order to open media Stored on the external SD card. Example would be office suite pro, which won't Navigate to the ext SD card in order for you to open a document stored there. One has to use a file manager and open the doc though there rather than through the apps dialogue. And then any docs opened from the file manager arent listed n recent documents.

ROM
    stock OTA OS

As can be seen from my scr capture, the latest Office Suite Pro clearly displays the. extsdcard as an option for your documents.
    Not using external SD Card-screenshot_2012-09-27-10-45-25.jpg
    This also demonstrates that the tablet has made the external storage available to the APP developers.
    However, it's up to the developers to utilize it and allow the users of there APPs to decide where their APP data is stored.

So, complain to the individual APP developers for the APPs that you like to make the extsdcard an option for your data.

Yeesh! Amateurs.
    Last edited by dmtchico; 09-27-2012 at 01:47 PM.

That was just one example from my recent experience, and I hadn't tried since the update, but that's not the point.

The point is that this is not the fault of the app developers who expect SDcard to mean, you know, an actual SD card, and not a partitioned section of the internal memory. The expectation is the customary (as in not formal) standard of naming the internal storage as what it is. Why Samsung chose to change this is a mystery to me.

That was just one example from my recent experience, and I hadn't tried since the update, but that's not the point.

The point is that this is not the fault of the app developers who expect SDcard to mean, you know, an actual SD card, and not a partitioned section of the internal memory. The expectation is the customary (as in not formal) standard of naming the internal storage as what it is. Why Samsung chose to change this is a mystery to me.

Having same problem with downloading songs from rhapsody to play offline. And my extsd has a lost directory in it amd I don't no what that means. All I no is I have 32 gig n none of it is being used and Samsung was no help at all!!
    Vicki

I am having the same issue - using comixology, it saves all my comics on the internal and gives no options for moving them to the external. very frustrating...

Global Posts
    979 Global Posts

As with a lot of apps in the marketplace, it is the app developers that don't allow this feature, probably due to the DRM issue mentioned in an earlier post.

Devs have the ability to add saving to an external sd card, as the API's are in the dev kits for it. Google may have removed it to save themselves headaches in the long run, but it was there previously. Devs know the difference between sdcard and extsdcard, or at least they should.

If i go into my camera app of my phone or tablet both running ICS andi can choose to save pics and video to the sdcard. It just says sdcard, but it is the external sdcard.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums

I'm out of space on my GT 2 tablet I think I have to retire it and if Samsung makes me retire my tablet I will also retire my phone to my laptop and my TV and I will make the move back to Sony I put 3 movies on this tablet and it's already full fix this Samsung or you will lose a brand loyalist

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by gambit634 View Post
    I'm out of space on my GT 2 tablet I think I have to retire it and if Samsung makes me retire my tablet I will also retire my phone to my laptop and my TV and I will make the move back to Sony I put 3 movies on this tablet and it's already full fix this Samsung or you will lose a brand loyalist

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    I have several movies on my SD card. What kind of problem are you having?

LisaB
    Sent from my GT-P3113

I to grave several movies inn my extsdcard but when I download from say.. Google they stay on the hard drive and don't go to the ext like they do on my phone and other tab. that's the problem

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

I go into the My Files folder (in apps) and move files to my external storage card there.

LisaB

Sent from my GT-P3113
    B45

i am brand new to all this and my galaxy tab 2 7.0 i found out that going to the browser and then clicking on the three horizontal line icon at the extreme upper right i get a menu if you go to Advanced there is a selection for default storage clicking on that the two choices are Phone and Memory Card

would this solve the problem?

I would like to know as i think i want to download all my apps to the external card (mine is 32) rather than the phone

dont know about moving apps but perhaps this solves the posted problem

this change can be useful when download things through the browser, but cannot fix the problem when I am trying to install a APP, right ?

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Hei Morpheus View Post
    this change can be useful when download things through the browser, but cannot fix the problem when I am trying to install a APP, right ?
    Correct. It has an indirect impact, by making sure that the precious internal memory is not consumed by downloads... But, it doesn't resolve all storage issues.

Global Posts
    730 Global Posts

regarding getting media onto an SD card, I ran into the same problem. With a 4 GB card everything worked perfectly, but when I upgraded to a 32GB card I had problems. After much experimentation I determined that my tablet can read, but not write to, a 32 GB microSD card. Instead I have to use a card reader to get media onto the card, and then the tablet plays it fine.

One app specifically that I have not seen mentioned is DroidTV Primetime. It's doesn't stream tv shows, it actually downloads them to the device (in my case, a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0). By default, the app is supposed to put downloaded media on the external SD card, but it won't on the tab. And manually moving the files to the external card is NOT an option, because the app only looks for media where it's default download location was. Believe me, I've tried but the app is dumbed-down to not allow this level of configuration to specify the DL location. The app developer merely pointed to Google. Here's my email and their reply:

PS. Is there a way to fix this by rooting? Currently not rooted, but I'd gladly root to fix this. I've also got this app on my SG Note (i1717) running Gingerbread, and it saves to the SD card just fine by default.
    =====================================

DroidTV automatically uses the external SD memory if your device allows it to. Unfortunately, some devices, especially from Samsung, Acer, and ASUS, do not allow storing recorded episodes on the external SD memory. This is in accordance with the new standard from Google, but wastes the external memory for these types of uses.

Sent: Monday, November 05, 2012 4:02 AM
    To:
    Subject: SD card issue - Feedback on DroidTV Primetime

Droid TV Primetime seems to be ignoring my external SD card on my Samsung galaxy tab and creates the PVR folder on the internal device memory. How can I fix this, and why isn't this a forceable setting in the app's preferences?

Sent from Samsung tablet

Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cynogen Mod

That is a good point. I use DroidTv as well and have been getting the storage limit problem. I also with my books

Shannon Kish

Android Convert from BB
    Gigi Carlson likes this.

Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cynogen Mod

My sd card is only 16gb

Shannon Kish

Android Convert from BB

I understand that you can't put apps to SD. But I have ROMs on my SD Card, and I can't access them. My Galaxy tab 7.0 Plus is rooted, so could anyone point me in the right direction on how to bypass it?

I have an ext microSD (8GB) inserted but after a hard reset the file manager does not recognize it anymore. What has gone wrong and how can I recuperate it??? Thanks for any idea.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Quote Originally Posted by Swissbrasil View Post
    I have an ext microSD (8GB) inserted but after a hard reset the file manager does not recognize it anymore. What has gone wrong and how can I recuperate it??? Thanks for any idea.
    Go into settings, unmount then remount

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mertes View Post
    I understand that you can't put apps to SD. But I have ROMs on my SD Card, and I can't access them. My Galaxy tab 7.0 Plus is rooted, so could anyone point me in the right direction on how to bypass it?
    What are trying to do with them?

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast