Not using external SD Card

bstmstrxellos

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I bought a 32 gb sd card for this tablet, and I've noticed, nothing is being put on the sd card at all. From what I can tell from the file manager, Samsung listed the internal memory as sdcard and the external one as extsdcard. As a result of this apps that are suppose to be saving files to the sd card are saving them all to the internal memory in the part labeled as sdcard. Out of all my apps, I only have one that lets me choose the download location. Is there a way to get the apps to save files to the actual external sd card?

I'm currently not rooted, and would prefer not to root the tablet.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
just move them there with something like app2sdcard or go through manage applications, find the app and move it. app2sd can do batch operations....

Reactions: sneib

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
If its a honeycomb os tablet its not set up for external SD card. That's there's 32gb of storage. Some manufacturers have made a hack to work the external SD. And I don't think apps2sd will that's a dying feature with new hardware.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Stelv

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
If you are just trying to save files to ext sdcard you just need to tell the specific app you are using to download to that location. Or move them manually through the file manager.

sent from my rezound

bstmstrxellos

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
If you are just trying to save files to ext sdcard you just need to tell the specific app you are using to download to that location. Or move them manually through the file manager.

sent from my rezound

The problem is that most of the apps don't seem to let me choose the download location. I know the extra data is supposed to be saved to the sd card cause that's how the apps work on my Thunderbolt, but it on the galaxy tab mnt/sdcard seems to refer to the internal storage.

I can manually move the files, but then I have the problem of the app thinking the files aren't there anymore.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
That's because the external SD isn't set up for that. U have 32gb of internal storage.
The problem is that most of the apps don't seem to let me choose the download location. I know the extra data is supposed to be saved to the sd card cause that's how the apps work on my Thunderbolt, but it on the galaxy tab mnt/sdcard seems to refer to the internal storage.

I can manually move the files, but then I have the problem of the app thinking the files aren't there anymore.

wxman2003

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
just move them there with something like app2sdcard or go through manage applications, find the app and move it. app2sd can do batch operations....

This does work not with with ICS on the Tab 2. This is one flaw with this device. You can't move your apps to the SD card right now without rooting.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Its not a flaw its designed like that. New generation phones n tablets have moved on from the use of apps2sd that's why most have 2gb or more dedicated to nothing but apps.
This does work not with with ICS on the Tab 2. This is one flaw with this device. You can't move your apps to the SD card right now without rooting.

pogu

May 15, 2011
Visit site
What is the advantage of sequestering the apps to internal storage? Not a challenge, I'm just curious. I find myself wanting more room for apps, so it seems like flaw the expandable memory would be limited to media.
Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
2gb is plenty of room for apps I have 357 apps and barely hit 1gb. Probably security and better app management
What is the advantage of sequestering the apps to internal storage? Not a challenge, I'm just curious. I find myself wanting more room for apps, so it seems like flaw the expandable memory would be limited to media.

bstmstrxellos

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
2gb is plenty of room for apps I have 357 apps and barely hit 1gb. Probably security and better app management

And if the Galaxy tab was only using the space for apps only it would be a problem. There is 8 gb, but only 4 is usable as the rest has the system. On top of that the apps that save and download media is doing to the internal storage and not the sd card, so the 4 gbs disappears fast when you try and try and get media available for offline use. Once the media is downloaded, because of DRM I can't not manually move them to the 32 sd card because the app that is required to play them will not look at the external sd card as it believes the internal storage is an sd card.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
The sdcard is mounted r/w, but the owning group is media_rw which is linked to the WRITE_MEDIA_STORAGE permission. Unfortunately, this permission was not required for access to the external sdcard prior to 3.2 so most file management utilities do not request it when they run... meaning they only have read access to the card.

Also I'll go ask a developer that made a flip flop code that reversed the storage. But it means ull need to rooted for it to work if it can b done.

This another reason I refuse to buy any device with less then 32gb internal.

wxman2003

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Its not a flaw its designed like that. New generation phones n tablets have moved on from the use of apps2sd that's why most have 2gb or more dedicated to nothing but apps.

Which IMO is a very poor decision. SD cards are cheap and less than $30 to upgrade to 32GB of external storage. Built in 32 GB storage is ridiculously overpriced. $249 for a device that has only 8 GB is a joke and not a value. Let's face it the main reason why manufacturers are eliminating SD cards from their devices is to force people to buy cloud storage.

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I tried using apps2sd & get it no work.. So disappointed. Why is this an issue. At somepoint I will run out of space & get want to use the sd card.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Its already been documented that apps2sd doesn't work. Use the SD card for movies files and music
I tried using apps2sd & get it no work.. So disappointed. Why is this an issue. At somepoint I will run out of space & get want to use the sd card.

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Its already been documented that apps2sd doesn't work. Use the SD card for movies files and music

Yes, I know.. What happened to android being so great & get open & get being able to do anything you want.

magandangwahine

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
You can move apps, folders media etc from the internal SD card to the external SD card using the native My Files app. SImply drag and drop files from the right pane into the External SD folder on the left. :) But as always, there are some apps that will not work properly
from external SD, such as ones that have widgets.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci