Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Not using external SD Card

I bought a 32 gb sd card for this tablet, and I've noticed, nothing is being put on the sd card at all. From what I can tell from the file manager, Samsung listed the internal memory as sdcard and the external one as extsdcard. As a result of this apps that are suppose to be saving files to the sd card are saving them all to the internal memory in the part labeled as sdcard. Out of all my apps, I only have one that lets me choose the download location. Is there a way to get the apps to save files to the actual external sd card?

I'm currently not rooted, and would prefer not to root the tablet.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Default Re: Not using external SD Card

just move them there with something like app2sdcard or go through manage applications, find the app and move it. app2sd can do batch operations....
    Thanked by:
    sneib 
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,611 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

If its a honeycomb os tablet its not set up for external SD card. That's there's 32gb of storage. Some manufacturers have made a hack to work the external SD. And I don't think apps2sd will that's a dying feature with new hardware.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    Google Nexus Class Devices (Nexus7, Nexus4, Galaxy Nexus lte VZW)...@moosc on twitter ...

Global Posts
    278 Global Posts

If you are just trying to save files to ext sdcard you just need to tell the specific app you are using to download to that location. Or move them manually through the file manager.

sent from my rezound
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by Stelv View Post
    If you are just trying to save files to ext sdcard you just need to tell the specific app you are using to download to that location. Or move them manually through the file manager.

sent from my rezound
    The problem is that most of the apps don't seem to let me choose the download location. I know the extra data is supposed to be saved to the sd card cause that's how the apps work on my Thunderbolt, but it on the galaxy tab mnt/sdcard seems to refer to the internal storage.

I can manually move the files, but then I have the problem of the app thinking the files aren't there anymore.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,611 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

That's because the external SD isn't set up for that. U have 32gb of internal storage.
    Quote Originally Posted by bstmstrxellos View Post
    The problem is that most of the apps don't seem to let me choose the download location. I know the extra data is supposed to be saved to the sd card cause that's how the apps work on my Thunderbolt, but it on the galaxy tab mnt/sdcard seems to refer to the internal storage.

I can manually move the files, but then I have the problem of the app thinking the files aren't there anymore.

Google Nexus Class Devices (Nexus7, Nexus4, Galaxy Nexus lte VZW)...@moosc on twitter ...
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

The galaxy tab 2 only has 8 gbs of internal, not 32.

Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,611 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

That's still enough for apps data.
    Quote Originally Posted by bstmstrxellos View Post
    The galaxy tab 2 only has 8 gbs of internal, not 32.

Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    just move them there with something like app2sdcard or go through manage applications, find the app and move it. app2sd can do batch operations....
    This does work not with with ICS on the Tab 2. This is one flaw with this device. You can't move your apps to the SD card right now without rooting.
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,611 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

Its not a flaw its designed like that. New generation phones n tablets have moved on from the use of apps2sd that's why most have 2gb or more dedicated to nothing but apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by wxman2003 View Post
    This does work not with with ICS on the Tab 2. This is one flaw with this device. You can't move your apps to the SD card right now without rooting.

What is the advantage of sequestering the apps to internal storage? Not a challenge, I'm just curious. I find myself wanting more room for apps, so it seems like flaw the expandable memory would be limited to media.
    Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,611 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

2gb is plenty of room for apps I have 357 apps and barely hit 1gb. Probably security and better app management
    Quote Originally Posted by pogu View Post
    What is the advantage of sequestering the apps to internal storage? Not a challenge, I'm just curious. I find myself wanting more room for apps, so it seems like flaw the expandable memory would be limited to media.

13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by moosc View Post
    2gb is plenty of room for apps I have 357 apps and barely hit 1gb. Probably security and better app management

And if the Galaxy tab was only using the space for apps only it would be a problem. There is 8 gb, but only 4 is usable as the rest has the system. On top of that the apps that save and download media is doing to the internal storage and not the sd card, so the 4 gbs disappears fast when you try and try and get media available for offline use. Once the media is downloaded, because of DRM I can't not manually move them to the 32 sd card because the app that is required to play them will not look at the external sd card as it believes the internal storage is an sd card.

Varjohaltia likes this.
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,611 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

The sdcard is mounted r/w, but the owning group is media_rw which is linked to the WRITE_MEDIA_STORAGE permission. Unfortunately, this permission was not required for access to the external sdcard prior to 3.2 so most file management utilities do not request it when they run... meaning they only have read access to the card.

Also I'll go ask a developer that made a flip flop code that reversed the storage. But it means ull need to rooted for it to work if it can b done.

This another reason I refuse to buy any device with less then 32gb internal.

Its not a flaw its designed like that. New generation phones n tablets have moved on from the use of apps2sd that's why most have 2gb or more dedicated to nothing but apps.

Which IMO is a very poor decision. SD cards are cheap and less than $30 to upgrade to 32GB of external storage. Built in 32 GB storage is ridiculously overpriced. $249 for a device that has only 8 GB is a joke and not a value. Let's face it the main reason why manufacturers are eliminating SD cards from their devices is to force people to buy cloud storage.

I tried using apps2sd & get it no work.. So disappointed. Why is this an issue. At somepoint I will run out of space & get want to use the sd card.

Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,611 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

Its already been documented that apps2sd doesn't work. Use the SD card for movies files and music
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
    I tried using apps2sd & get it no work.. So disappointed. Why is this an issue. At somepoint I will run out of space & get want to use the sd card.

Its already been documented that apps2sd doesn't work. Use the SD card for movies files and music

Yes, I know.. What happened to android being so great & get open & get being able to do anything you want.

Global Posts
    278 Global Posts

Apps don't run properly when running off the sdcard. That's probably why they got rid of that feature.

You can move apps, folders media etc from the internal SD card to the external SD card using the native My Files app. SImply drag and drop files from the right pane into the External SD folder on the left. But as always, there are some apps that will not work properly
    from external SD, such as ones that have widgets.

Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.0.4 &Cyanogen 7.2

The main reason for a SD now is store media, not apps.

Sent from another galaxy... Tab 2 10.1

BST - Im not Entirely sure they know what your asking maybe...

I have a GT2 and a few other devices that can do what you are trying to do.

I think what BST is trying to say is..

If I download an game off the app store it automatically saves the main app to my internal storage, in this case being 8gb. If the file size is 200mb that is fine, doesnt take up alot of space. But once i use that app, it starts a dl for the rest of the data for the game which could be another 200mb-500mb(Just estimating a Higher end game vs little popcap games)...and it saves that additional data to the internal storage labeled in the GT2 as SDCARD.

I know moosc seems to think that that 8gb of storage should be enough since he has a few hundred apps...but, 8gb with only 4-5 usable out of box doesnt offer much space when a single game file after dl can reach upwards of a gig.

Alot of apps,(most ive downloaded, games usually) save the initial app to the internal storage, but save the additional file dl data to an external "SDCARD" if applicable. Since the GT2's Internal storage is labeled as "sdcard" the apps BST is trying to run are programed to save that added data(any data aquired after main appstore dl) to an sdcard rather then internal storage so that it keeps the devices internal storage open and available, are being saved to her Internal storage.

GT2 storage: Actual Internal storage = SDCARD
    sdcard = extsdcard

Pretty much. since the GT2 has its internal stock 8gb labeled as sdcard, and an inserted sdcard labeled as extsdcard...apps that save any data after the inital dl off the store end up saving that data to the devices internal storage, rather then the sdcard shes inserted.

What BST is trying to do, Is find a way to get that data saved to the 32gb sd card he's inserted like its supposed to, rather then saving it on the 8gb internal storage, which its not supposed to.

Nobody here wants to move the Main app to a External card. Just the data that app downloads or creates like its supposed to do.

The other Devices i use with the same apps have np saving their data to the sdcard since the internal storage is labeled accordingly.

So far the only answer anyone has really provided to the original questionis essentially, buy a device with more internal storage....which doesnt help.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Money713 View Post

You're right...so then why is it that I can't get the camera to save pictures to the external sd card?
    I searched and found this thread for THAT reason, not the apps. The camera (Camera Zoom FX) is saving pictures to the internal storage by default, and there is no option to save to the sd card. This same camera app saves pics to the sd card on my Driod Bionic.
    Photos are media, no? Is it because of ICS?

Currently, my Tab 2 is showing 1.13GB available of a total 4.59GB (that's a hell of a loss due to formatting if it is indeed 8GB), and my sd card has 14.87GB available of 14.87GB total.
    NOTHING is being saved to SD. Music, photos, videos, files, etc. ALL are on the internal storage.
    What is the point of the sd card??

Why just move all of ur stuff manually to extsd

sent from kangorade 40.5 v6'd gtab2 TEAM AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by G-Money713 View Post

i cant even get my media onto the card

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast