Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default I tried a Tab 2 7" today. Super laggy. Why?

I have been interested in trying an android tablet to install vanilla ICS...initially thought about a Kindle Fire, but I thought id look at the Tabs first.

I tried the 7 and 10 inch models and had the same disappointing experience.

Even after killing all apps and tasks....even after restarting, both Tabs were noticeably laggy. This happened in apps, switching home screen tabs, etc.

I was very surprised by this...even though I've been reading that Samsung's been going for midrange with these tablets, I expected more.

I'm wondering if anyone else had had this experience....and if stock ICS makes them run any better.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    525 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vicious JellyBean 4.1.1

Default Re: I tried a Tab 2 7" today. Super laggy. Why?

I just got mine, and yes, it is quite laggy.
    VIDGMER likes this.

I have one and it is not laggy at all. It is as responsive as my iPad 2. No problems here.
    AzD

Global Posts
    206 Global Posts

Mine has had a couple of laggy moments. Restarts fixed it but that seems to be par for the course with Android in my experience. Its better than other tablets I have used in this price range in this regard, though.

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    ROM
    Sky JB

I just got mine and it rarely lags. Only when i have played heavy graphic games. Then i just close all apps or only once i rebooted. It runs very smooth for me.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Android Central Forums
    VIDGMER likes this.

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    ROM
    Superlite - 5.1

I've had mine for a couple days now and it seems to be a little laggy as well. Comparing it to my Skyrocket, it's a step back in responsiveness. As mentioned above, it's definately a better experience as far as tablets go. My wife's iPad drives me crazy, and is a constant reminder of why i went Android.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    278 Global Posts

Mine doesn't really lag at all. Some third party apps lag sometimes, but its pretty smooth and quick. Could it be a third party app causing the lag? The store models always lag from the crap that random customers do to them.
    ScandaLeX likes this.

I returned my GT 2 7" because it just felt soooo slow after using a Tegra 3 tablet for a few months (a Transformer Prime that I returned directly to ASUS). I replaced it with a Toshiba Excite 10 with Tegra 3 and I'm reminded that I wasn't imagining things.

It's a nice tablet for $249, but I couldn't accept the lagginess.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    AzD

Global Posts
    206 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I returned my GT 2 7" because it just felt soooo slow after using a Tegra 3 tablet for a few months (a Transformer Prime that I returned directly to ASUS). I replaced it with a Toshiba Excite 10 with Tegra 3 and I'm reminded that I wasn't imagining things.

It's a nice tablet for $249, but I couldn't accept the lagginess.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    That's the exact reason I returned my Toyota Corolla. Just wasn't as quick as the Porsche I had been driving. So I went ahead and picked up a Nissan GTR. Much happier now.

Quote Originally Posted by AzD View Post
    That's the exact reason I returned my Toyota Corolla. Just wasn't as quick as the Porsche I had been driving. So I went ahead and picked up a Nissan GTR. Much happier now.
    It's like a corolla. My iPad 3 is a porsche compared to this. But I still like using it.

Global Posts
    278 Global Posts

The ipad 3 is like a porsche with no navigation system, no glove box, no rearview mirrors, no windshield wipers, no seats and a hole where the window should be...but hit has a retina display

I do like the corolla analogy though.

Quote Originally Posted by Stelv View Post
    The ipad 3 is like a porsche with no navigation system, no glove box, no rearview mirrors, no windshield wipers, no seats and a hole where the window should be...but hit has a retina display

I do like the corolla analogy though.
    Your assessment comes from? Regular use side by side with another tablet? Fanboyism just to jump on the apple bashing wagon? My iPad runs silky smooth & fast compared to my gtab2. While I love using the gtab2, ICS does not run like iOS.

Global Posts
    278 Global Posts

Its a difference of opinion I guess. To me there are many things I can't do on the iPad that I can do on Android tablets. I agree that a lot of Android tablets are laggy and that the iPad runs very smooth and efficiently. But in my opinion Android tablets are closer to a desktop computer experience and the iPad is closer to a mobile phone experience. The web browsing experience alone on the ipad is enough to make me not enjoy the device.

Sent from my GSM Nexus

Quote Originally Posted by Stelv View Post
    Its a difference of opinion I guess. To me there are many things I can't do on the iPad that I can do on Android tablets. I agree that a lot of Android tablets are laggy and that the iPad runs very smooth and efficiently. But in my opinion Android tablets are closer to a desktop computer experience and the iPad is closer to a mobile phone experience. The web browsing experience alone on the ipad is enough to make me not enjoy the device.

Sent from my GSM Nexus
    Interesting because I think of the iPad like that. I do everything on my iPad that I can do on my laptop. My sgtab doesn't seem any different. I can functionally do the same thing on either. I don't care about customization. I'm talking about actually using it. Connecting to network drives, connecting to my laptop if I need too, working on photos & videos. Web browsing to me is the same on both. I use chrome on sgtab & safari on iPad. They both have tabs & can both bring up web pages. Using both side by side every day I see no difference. They are both great devices. Both have pluses & minuses. I would recommend either to anyone, doesn't matter what they want to do.

Global Posts
    278 Global Posts

To each their own I guess. I much prefer the file system, interface, web browsing and more on Android. Safari has to be one of worst browsers I have used, both on ipad and on my iMacs.

Global Posts
    504 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock!!!

Should try the galaxy tab 7+. Spec wise is superior. Tab 2 has ics. Only thing it has better then the 7+.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Just got a gt 2 7 today and it seames to run just fine not laggy at all love the remote app
    Thanked by:
    trooperoutlaw likes this.

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

mine's good.
    Thanked by:

Ive had mine for two months now and i love it !! Ive had few times where it started lagging just go to task manager then ram manager and then clear memory and wala lag is gone great tablet great price! !
    Thanked by:
    trooperoutlaw likes this.

Global Posts
    1,117 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I don't see that much lag on mine and when it does I can still use it. I have never been happier with a tablet, especially for the price.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
    Thanked by:
    AzD 

When I first got this tab it would run fine for a few hours and eventually get super choppy in the launcher and apps, and also lag horribly. I recommend trying the tab2lite rom if your not adverse to rooting and flashing. It removes a lot of the bloat in the stock touchwiz rom and has a modified kernel that can over clock to 1.35 ghz. Along with apex launcher, it's a lightning fast and butter smooth solution.

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

Those of you complaining of lag, have you tried any other ROMs? AOKP is pretty nice and there's also a CM9 ROM available now. I've not really had any complaints about the Tab but then I also just ordered a Nexus 7 to replace it... :-)

Mine was fairly laggy too. The one I looked at at Best Buy was incredibly sluggish. I almost didn't buy it because paging across screens would literally chug and even freeze for half a second several times.

Anyway i'm running Tab2Lite RC1 and it's incredibly smooth now. Beta 3 of it was causing my hotmail account to crash non-stop but RC1 is perfect.

I wouldn't recommend this tablet to anyone who wasn't going to root it and install a custom ROM to get rid of the samsung bloat and inept choices for running processes Samsung chose.

No lag problem here. Run in power saving mode as well. I can type as fast as I can and it keeps up. I would say it's at least as smooth as my wife's I phone. Battery lasts all day with normal use. Only program that lags is email client. But that is it.

I gave my Dad my galaxy tab 2 7inch. He complained about the lag on it. He went back to using his iphone for using youtube. I do not really want to root it so I will just get him a ipad 2 or mini used off of ebay. I have a nexus 7 (2012) so I do not really need it anyway.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast