Tab spontaneously leaves web page and reverts back to prior app

jbsjbs

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Just got a Galaxy Tab 2 7" a few days ago. Replacing a Kindle Fire. Thus far I'm very pleased but for one oddity.

About a dozen times over the week I've been using it, I've been on a web page for 5 ~ 30 seconds or so, and without touching any buttons or the screen (for example, while reading an article someone sent me) the Tab reverts back to whatever I was on before (the home screen if I launched from there or maybe a GMail message I'd clicked on a link from). If I tap on the RecentApps I can go back to the Internet, but I have no idea why it's happening in the first place.

Is there anything that would cause this? My first Kindle Fire had a manufacturing defect that was confounding until I learned it was a defect and the replacement was/is flawless, so I want to make sure I'm not looking for some setting to change when in fact I just have a dud.

Thanks!

Stelv

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: Tab spontaneously leaves web page and reverts back to prior a

The device could be running low on memory for some reason. Maybe there are too many tabs open on your web browers, or an app is hogging all the memory. If its a hardware issue it could be that something is overheating maybe?

jbsjbs

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the reply! No overheating problem, the device has consistently been cool to the touch. I don't use it for any graphics-intensive apps and only for a few minutes at a time.

The system settings shows about 1.5 GB memory free and there have been no more than 4 tabs open on the web browser, but I believe it also happened when it was the only tab open on the browser.

I've also restarted it at least 3 times during the week and the problem persists, so it's not a one-time glitch apparently.

Any other likely suspects?

Stelv

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site

1.5 for rom memory is ok, but what about ram memory? I am not sure what is going on. Are you using stock web browser? You could try ICS+ browser from the market.

It could be an app, corrupted data with web browser/system app, or a number of other things. I would say, start with trying to clear cache within web browser and in settings>apps. If that doesn't work try to see if there is a rogue app causing an issue. You can download an app like Elixir to tell you what resources apps are using. And if all else fails you could try a factory reset. I would try using another web browser first.

jbsjbs

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site

So this is interesting . . . The RAM looks to be at least half free. I loaded a cache cleaner and ran that, but the problem persisted. I rebooted, problem persisted.

Then I noticed there were a lot of notifications in the system tray (sorry if I'm using the wrong term). Basically, when I tap the clock and the menu pops up, I had a lot of "stuff" in there. I cleared it, something I rarely do on my phone and so hadn't done yet on the tablet. Then I went back into the browser and it stayed on the browser.

An hour or so later I opened the browser again and this time it closed again, but I checked and noticed there was a new notification (a new email). I cleared it, reopened the browser and now I'm again several minutes in with no quitting of the browser.

I know this is hardly definitive, but there seems to be a very strong correlation thus far that when I have notifications in the system tray, the browser abruptly exits. When there are no notifications, everything's fine.

Is there any reason that would be the case? And while I know I can use a different browser, the device is still well within it's return period (bought at Costco, so 90 days) so I don't want a workaround so much as I want to figure out if there's a defect in the unit.

Thanks for any suggestions!

AzD

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Well mine has never done that, with or without notifications in the tray. Could be a defective unit I guess, or a bad app.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Android Central Forums

Stelv

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site

Yea mine doesn't do that either when I have notifications. Check for a system update or maybe factory reset the device. I wonder if it is a specific app that is giving notifications that is causing this? I would try to isolate it to see if it's a market notification, email, etc. Or if worse comes to worse, just return it for another new unit, since its within the 90 days.