new OTA Update? What is it?

monsterman83

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know what this new OTA update is? I got the notification w/in the past 24hrs and I do not want to install it until I can find out what it is. Is it just an update to ICS or is it Jelly Bean? If it is Jelly Bean I do not want to install it, because I do not want the loss of Adobe Flash support. I tried doing the Live Chat with Samsung and those morons are are 100% useless. For giggles I will post the chat transcript below for all to enjoy.

------------------------------
Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.

You are now chatting with 'Victoria'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.

Your Issue ID for this chat is XXXXXXXXXX

Victoria: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?
Visitor: hi, I looked at my Tab earlier today and it says there is a software update. I was wondering if you can tell me what the update is before I go and install it? If it is jellybean I would rather not install it as I will lose Adobe Flash support
Visitor: its the Galaxy Tab 2 7inch
Victoria: I apologize for the inconvenience.
Victoria: I understand that you are looking for firmware update. Is that correct?
Visitor: i want to know what the firmware update is, before i install it
Victoria: Thank you.
Visitor: is it just an update to ICS or is it Jellybean
Victoria: Are you referring to Samsung Galaxy Wi-fi tab, GT-P3113?
Visitor: yes
Visitor: i am currently running android 4.0.4
Victoria: Thank you.
Victoria: I am sorry. I am not trained on the product that you are using. Please standby while I transfer you to the appropriate agent for further assistance. Please do not disconnect the chat until you get an appropriate agent.
Please wait while I transfer the chat to the best suited Samsung Agent.

You are now chatting with 'Lucy'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.

Your Issue ID for this chat is XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Lucy: Hi, thanks for reaching out to Samsung tech support. How can I help you today?
Visitor: hi, I looked at my Galaxy tab 2 7.0 today and it said there was a software update and I was wondering if you could tell me what it is before i install it?
Visitor: is it just an update to ICS or is it jellybean
Visitor: I just want to make sure it is not jellybean because I do not want the loss of Adobe Flash
Lucy: I understand that you are looking for firmware update. Is that correct?
Visitor: i want to know what the current update is
Visitor: right now im on 4.0.4 and its telling me there is an update
Lucy: I'm sorry for the inconvenience.
Lucy: As if now there are no updates of regarding ICS and jelly bean.
Visitor: can you tell me what the current release version is for the device?
Visitor: Model #: GT-P3113TSYXAR
Lucy: Once the updates of ICS are released they automatically get updated in your tab.
Visitor: no they don't I have to click accept
Visitor: so you are not able to tell me the current firmware version for the devise?
Lucy: Could you hold for a few of minutes while I look into the issue for you?
Visitor: sure
Lucy: Thank you.
Lucy: I want to know that whether you want to update the firmware with the latest version?
Visitor: i want to know what the latest version is
Lucy: Okay, thanks for the information.
Lucy: Thanks for holding.
Lucy: I'm sorry for the inconvenience. There is no firmware updates for the tab.
Visitor: ok then what is the current version that is out right now
Lucy: Are you referring to the latest version of the kies software?
Visitor: there has been an OTA update pushed to my device w/in the past 24hrs and I want to know what it is before i install it
Lucy: Okay.
Lucy: Could you please hold on for few moments?
Visitor: yes
Lucy: Thank you.
Lucy: Thanks for holding.
Lucy: Yes, OTA is the Over The Air that automatically gets updates in the tab. Please go with the updates.
Visitor: ok
Visitor: listen
Visitor: now I am tried of you
Visitor: if you are in Tech Support you need to be fired because you can clearly NOT read
Visitor: WHAT IS THE CURRENT VERSION ON MY TABLET
Visitor: read it damnit
Visitor: and give me the answer
Visitor: you have as much support help as a brick wall
Visitor: you know what never mind
Visitor: disconnect me and give me the stupid survey so i can express how much the samsung support is worthless
Visitor: it is a simple question as to what the current version is for the device. if you do not know then tell me you do not know do not define to me
Lucy: I'm sorry.
Lucy: Please go to Settings>> about tablet>> kernel version.
Visitor: wow ur dumb
Visitor: goodbye

Reactions: dbon12

CeluGeek

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
There is a second 4.0.4 update for both the 10.1 and 7.0 Galaxy Tab 2 tablets.

With the 10.1 model, it was confirmed that the second update removed local search support. It also added a couple of new features to the Samsung Keyboard (floating mode and split keyboard mode).

As for the 7.0 model, I have not noticed anything different not even in the keyboard. I guess "Stability fixes and enhancements" translates to "Removing functionality before Apple stops us from shipping more tablets."

monsterman83

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
There is a second 4.0.4 update for both the 10.1 and 7.0 Galaxy Tab 2 tablets.

With the 10.1 model, it was confirmed that the second update removed local search support. It also added a couple of new features to the Samsung Keyboard (floating mode and split keyboard mode).

As for the 7.0 model, I have not noticed anything different not even in the keyboard. I guess "Stability fixes and enhancements" translates to "Removing functionality before Apple stops us from shipping more tablets."

I think you are correct. I clicked the install and it looks like i'm still on 4.0.4 but it did do some sort of update. I do not recall what the build number was prior to the update but my current build is: IMM76D.P3113EBLG5 and It could not have been a kernal update because the date listed on that is July 17th.

o-well at least i know its not jellybean.

stull

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I received the new update also. Could not figure out what the update was, until I noticed a Google Chrome icon on the tablet. :)

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
i am downloading the update now. its 64.64MB

not sure what it is yet, it doesnt give a description, probably an apple lawsuit update lol

Russel the cop

akren5

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
I noticed the keyboard now has swype ability where you drag your finger which is AWESOME and there is no local search anymore.

At the risk of sounding stupid, what is "local search?" And, how does Swype work by dragging your finger? All I noticed is that the new keyboard keeps trying to autocorrect my words which is frustrating because it's not very accurate!

AzD

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Got an update today, but it isn't Jelly Bean. So I wait. :beer:

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2

Bolt473

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm rooted on mine, but my Mom also has this tablet and she updated. It's still ICS 4.0.4, and flash works. IDK what it changed. My guess is it's a bug fix.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon