Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Default Re: What's the point of the micro SD card? Can't save apps to SD...

There is one way to move apps fron sd card to external sd card. Select the apps from sd card. Cut the apps,then go to external sd card and paste it.
    Now the apps will be moved from sd card to external sd card

Why is it so difficult to answer a simple question? I know my phone is not a PC and not designed with a lot of memory. Some apps can be transferred to the card others cannot without rooting my phone which I am afraid to do. THE QUESTION!!! Why does my phones manufacturer not want me to move more apps to the SD card? If I can do it by rooting Then it must be possible
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,204 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mike29697 View Post
    Why is it so difficult to answer a simple question? I know my phone is not a PC and not designed with a lot of memory. Some apps can be transferred to the card others cannot without rooting my phone which I am afraid to do. THE QUESTION!!! Why does my phones manufacturer not want me to move more apps to the SD card? If I can do it by rooting Then it must be possible
    Do the app developers want you to move their app to the SD card?
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

The thing that frustrates the heck out of me is that there was no way of knowing we were going to be so incredibly limited in what this can do.
    Not a single place ANYWHERE does it say "8gb (expandable to 32gb with microsd crd(just not for apps). i bought 2 of these on black friday. 1 for each of my boys. i cannot return them now if i wanted to! now that christmas is over, and bills are dying down, i decided to get each of them a 32gb card each..installed them and they were very upset because they still needed to delete alot of their games they play all the time just to download a new one. even as i am typing this, i am getting more and more angry about this. i would have gone a different route and not spent an additional $70 for something that is absolotely useless for this tablet! what route could we go to possibly have a lawsuit? false advertisement. it is expandable, just cannot use it for what you need it for.
    GGGRRRRRRRR. i am not new to Samsung, i have had the instinct, galaxy s, galaxy s 2, and i now have the galaxy note 2. if this does not get fixed, i will without a doubt switch from sammy to another brand. did i say GGGGRRRR yet?
    bfriskey and Hankster65 like this.

@mikehoff99 - I'm in the same position as you. I bought 2x 7" Samsung Galaxy Tab 2s for my kids. They love them and to be honest, so do I. The problem arose when my boy downloaded a couple of big games, and got the out of space errors. I wasn't concerned and downloaded the APP2SD application. I've been an android phone user for three years so had experience with this app. The app runs and identifies apps that could be moved, but won't do it.

What happened? I thought the ability to move apps to removable media was even built in to android a couple of releases ago! It makes no sense to remove the ability to move apps.
    Thanked by:

Buy some 64/32 mem card of ultra card,
    If you can then swap your internal and external,
    Card,
    Then easily installs apps and games on your sd card

[hide]
    ★WHY CAN'T YOU HIT THANKS BUTTON IFF AM HELPING YOU
    ★Does thanking cost any Money,
    ★NOO!!!! $O Just Hit THANKS I Helped You
    Time is LIFE,
    SPEND IT WISELY
    [/hide]
    Thanked by:
    Rstgo 

Quote Originally Posted by Hemant Shah View Post
    Buy some 64/32 mem card of ultra card,
    If you can then swap your internal and external,
    Card,
    Then easily installs apps and games on your sd card

[hide]

Time is LIFE,
    SPEND IT WISELY
    [/hide]
    You are not able to install apps onto the SD card. That is the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by freddy_261 View Post
    You are not able to install apps onto the SD card. That is the problem.
    I m saying the same the if u swap ur sd ,
    Using swao mod,
    The at that time you memory card becomes your internal memory,
    Nd vise versa

[hide]
    Time is LIFE,
    SPEND IT WISELY
    [/hide]

Quote Originally Posted by Hemant Shah View Post
    I m saying the same the if u swap ur sd ,
    Using swao mod,
    The at that time you memory card becomes your internal memory, and vise versa
    I haven't heard of this, does it require the rooting of the Tab? Have you got any more information / links?

I haven't heard of this, does it require the rooting of the Tab? Have you got any more information / links?
    Just search,
    Xda, better place than this.

[hide]
    Time is LIFE,
    SPEND IT WISELY
    [/hide]
    Thanked by:

Thank you - I will head over to XDA

ROM
    stock OTA OS

Quote Originally Posted by mike29697 View Post
    FYI, You and all others.
    The manufacturer (Samsung) didn't write the ANDROID OS.

Each device manfucturer must live within the Android OS.

So, tell it to Google.

At least Samsung made a user installable sdcard slot available.

Plus, complain to the APP DEVELOPERS.They can (thanks to Android) make it possible for the user to store they're huge data files to the sdcard slot which Samsung made available.

Yeeesh!

Default Re: What's the point of the micro SD card? Can't save apps to SD.

I have a 7 inch tablet running gingerbread with internal + external SD cards and App2SD can only see the internal card, not my 32 GB external card.
    Bugga.

Quote Originally Posted by dmtchico View Post
    FYI, You and all others.
    The manufacturer (Samsung) didn't write the ANDROID OS.

Each device manfucturer must live within the Android OS.

So, tell it to Google.

At least Samsung made a user installable sdcard slot available.

Plus, complain to the APP DEVELOPERS.They can (thanks to Android) make it possible for the user to store they're huge data files to the sdcard slot which Samsung made available.

Yeeesh!
    My Droid Maxx phone can store any app I want on the external micro sd card. It's on Android. How is that?

Quote Originally Posted by atlantar6 View Post
    My Droid Maxx phone can store any app I want on the external micro sd card. It's on Android. How is that?
    Which version of Android?

My phone is fine with moving apps to SD - Froyo (v2.2.2)

My Samsung GT 2 7.0 is not able to move apps to SD - it is running Jellybean (v4.1.1)

Although, I've just read that 4.1.2 is being rolled out now. I wonder if this will fix the apps to SD problem???

Which version of Android?

My phone is fine with moving apps to SD - Froyo (v2.2.2)

My Samsung GT 2 7.0 is not able to move apps to SD - it is running Jellybean (v4.1.1)

Although, I've just read that 4.1.2 is being rolled out now. I wonder if this will fix the apps to SD problem???
    Update: I've been in touch with Samsung Support on this subject and had the following reply:

"Thank you for contacting Samsung Customer Support.

Im sorry you are having issues moving your apps to SD card. I can understand your frustration as it is good fro freeing up memory on the tablet.

Please note that moving or installing apps to external storage is no longer available on any Android from version 4.0 and above, due to how the Android operating system reads storage on our devices.

The Android OS now operates on a unified storage system from Ice Cream Sandwich onward, meaning it will read one data partition for storage, rather than two.

The reason why previous Android versions had the capability of moving apps to external storage was because the phones memory was split into two partitions, one for external storage and one for internal.

Now, with Android using a unified storage system, all applications will be stored completely on the internal memory of the phone. This allows for around 11GB of storage space on a 16GB device for apps. Google, the developer of Android, feels this is more than enough for users, as their operating system was designed for use on their own phones as well, which do not have any external storage at all.

Please also note that we do not advertise any of our devices as having the capability of running or installing apps directly onto the external memory card. You will have to install your apps to the internal memory, but anything else (music, videos, documents etc.) can be stored on your external memory card.
    "

So. It is NOT Samsung who have created this problem, it is Google. Why any developer would want to remove functionality, is beyond me.

Do any of you have any idea how to log this with the Google Android dev team?
    Brandon Neo likes this.

Unless you have plenty of apps in Gigas, it should be enough.

I think App developers have a say in where their apps are installed. The Bard'sTale app is almost 2gb. Upon downloading, you are given the option to install the additional 2gb of resources to sdcard0, or external sdcard. So when i look at my external sdcard, it too has a folder named Android with the additional 2gb of game data. So come on Devs and stay on top of google with allowing more Apps to external sdcard.

i agree. this is no use to have that external sd card unless people root the device but why? why do they have to make it so complicated. Back to the old days? i switch to android because i thought it is easy to use buy i guess it is wrong

- - - Updated - - -

i agree. this is no use to have that external sd card unless people root the device but why? why do they have to make it so complicated. Back to the old days? i switch to android because i thought it is easy to use buy i guess it is wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Murph5150 View Post
    There is no support for apps to SD, so what is the point in having an SD card for this? They may as well have made 40 GB of internal memory...
    Movies, TV shows, music, pictures, rooms, backups, pretty much anything but apps.

Big mistake getting rid of apps2SD,but it's Google's folly.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

I'm new to the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 world. I agree with folks saying 8gb isn't enough. I don't have a slew of apps on my device and already I'm down to 1.4gb left of storage. I'm conscience not to store anything (i.e.: photos, music, roms, etc...) on the main system storage. Still, I'm running out of room. The apps available now aren't as small (file size-wise) as they used to be. Some are clocking in around 1gb range.

Update: I've been in touch with Samsung Support on this subject and had the following reply:

"Thank you for contacting Samsung Customer Support.

Im sorry you are having issues moving your apps to SD card. I can understand your frustration as it is good fro freeing up memory on the tablet.

Please note that moving or installing apps to external storage is no longer available on any Android from version 4.0 and above, due to how the Android operating system reads storage on our devices.

The Android OS now operates on a unified storage system from Ice Cream Sandwich onward, meaning it will read one data partition for storage, rather than two.

The reason why previous Android versions had the capability of moving apps to external storage was because the phones memory was split into two partitions, one for external storage and one for internal.

Now, with Android using a unified storage system, all applications will be stored completely on the internal memory of the phone. This allows for around 11GB of storage space on a 16GB device for apps. Google, the developer of Android, feels this is more than enough for users, as their operating system was designed for use on their own phones as well, which do not have any external storage at all.

Please also note that we do not advertise any of our devices as having the capability of running or installing apps directly onto the external memory card. You will have to install your apps to the internal memory, but anything else (music, videos, documents etc.) can be stored on your external memory card.
    "

So. It is NOT Samsung who have created this problem, it is Google. Why any developer would want to remove functionality, is beyond me.

Do any of you have any idea how to log this with the Google Android dev team?
    I created this account to inform everyone Samsung is LYING! I have a gtp3113 same issues with transferring apps while my adr6425lvw HTC rezound, running 4.0.1 not only has the option to but also automatically installs them to sd unless YOU move them back to internal storage.... WTF Samsung! I will be calling these scumbag liars at Samsung bright and early to address this hogwash.... This is simply Samsung attempting to force people to buy more expensive devices... Think about it, what makes your 16/32 better than my cheap 8gig if I can buy a sd card from someone other than Samsung(loss profits) and slap it in.... It's BS and has me so pissed at these con artists...

It's NOT ANDROID, IT'S SAMSUNG!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Will M87 View Post
    I created this account to inform everyone Samsung is LYING! I have a gtp3113 same issues with transferring apps while my adr6425lvw HTC rezound, running 4.0.1 not only has the option to but also automatically installs them to sd unless YOU move them back to internal storage.... WTF Samsung! I will be calling these scumbag liars at Samsung bright and early to address this hogwash.... This is simply Samsung attempting to force people to buy more expensive devices... Think about it, what makes your 16/32 better than my cheap 8gig if I can buy a sd card from someone other than Samsung(loss profits) and slap it in.... It's BS and has me so pissed at these con artists...

It's NOT ANDROID, IT'S SAMSUNG!!!!
    I'd be VERY interested to find out the outcome of that conversation! Please let us know what happens... There has to be a way to load apps onto the SD card.

J

Exclamation Re: What's the point of the micro SD card? Can't save apps to SD...

That's actually incorrect, it IS Google (Android). Samsung never made any customisations to their roms with the ability to install to SD, they ran close to stock Android, just adding their Touchwiz launcher. Thus, any previous models which could install to SD were running with the default android capabilities. HTC, on the other hand, are well known for customising everything about the OS as much as they can, it is far more likely that HTC customised their rom on this particular device to default to SD storage. As an avid android user, I have had many devices since 4.0 was released and the majority, across multiple brands, such as Sony Ericsson, HTC, Samsung, Oppo, Asus etc all lost their previous abilities to install to SD. I think it is something that Google seriously need to reconsider or make possible, as the only reason I started using SD cards was for the apps that I ran, apps that got a lot bigger over the years. I had one tablet that had something like 28GB of installed applications, and that was 99% games (and only 5 or 6 at that!). Now, I have to install 2, maybe 3 at most, and then remove one or two to install another. Ridiculously annoying!

I shake my head over folks in this forum who say that 8gb (in reality, about 4.4gb) of storage is sufficient. Unfortunately, with some of the advanced games and apps, this is no longer the case. I only have a handful of apps on my device, aside from the ones preloaded from Samsung. I am constantly deleting ones to load others on the device. That makes no sense when we can purchase external SD cards. They should have the ability to store apps.

J
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast