What's the point of the micro SD card? Can't save apps to SD...

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Android divides their memory into partitions to some degree. They have 1 to 2gb for apps and the rest of the device memory is for data storage.

When you look in the memory section of the settings, it will show you all of the memory as a whole. For example, you have a 16gb tablet, when you look in the memory settings, it may say 14gb available if nothing is installed. As you install apps, or store pictures, etc. The memory decreases and you get the rainbow line below to break down how much of what is using memory.

The device differentiates the extended memory as a file called "sdcard", as shown in the built in file manager. If you add a sd card in the physical slot, it shows as a file called "extsdcard" in the file manager. Some apps can take advantage of the external sd card obviously, like the camera and other apps that are coded for it.

I believe that as android has changed, from gingerbread to ICS to jelly bean now, the way apps are coded write data directly to the sdcard file which is internal storage. I believe that the devs need to re-evaluate their apps in the marketplace to allow them to use the extsdcard instead.

Also, supposedly google removed the app to sd card function due to possible digital rights problems. They had a few cases where companies were complaining about possible media copyright violations, so it was removed altogether to head off any lawsuits. That could just be speculation, but it is what i was hearing before ICS was released.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums

dmtchico

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Of course you can save apps to micro sd using apptosd application.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 7.2 using Tapatalk 2

Have you actually tried moving installed APPS to SD on a GT P3113. Then be sure to tell us all how you did it (without rooting, which this thread is all about).

However, if you just want to SAVE (or backup) installed apps to the SD as your post suggests by the way it is worded, then that is easy via several different APPS.

Backing up APPS is very useful, when a favorite APP is broken by an update for a particular device.

I also suspect that you do not actually have a Galaxy Tab 7.2. Hahaha

Last edited:

indomelsa

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: What's the point of the micro SD card? Can't save apps to SD.

I try to use APP2SD but still not working on Samsung Galaxy Tab 2's bro...

rsage

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Of course you can save apps to micro sd using apptosd application.

No, you cannot do this on an un-rooted p3113 with the app2sd application. Do you own this tablet? The external SD card in this tablet does not appear to the Android OS as a viable target for app2sd. The only way to do what you're saying is to root the tablet then use an app like link2sd or employ some other kind of hack.

dmtchico

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: What's the point of the micro SD card? Can't save apps to SD.

I try to use APP2SD but still not working on Samsung Galaxy Tab 2's bro...

Yeah, I know. APPTOSD hasn't worked since Honeycomb.
I'm glad you verified it and then posted it.

My previous point was that "If a person hasn't actually tried and verified it, they shouldn't post it as if it's a known fact."

Especially if that poster doesn't even know what their device is called. Haha.

However, I too wish a developer could/would make an app like APPTOSD for the higher OSs.

On another note for others, there are a few different models of the Tab 2 7.0.
The model number is important for such things as, Is there is a JB update scheduled or not.
Their processers are different.
BUT, to everyone, it's OK to hope. I do.
But, I haven't seen any actual Samsung update news about the P3113 yet.

PS for no particular reason: I'm old-school, so I don't use LOL either, Hahaha.

Luck to all.

Bastiat_Fan

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I was pissed when I learned I couldn't move apps to the extSD. I bought the 16GB because I figured I could buy and SD card cheaper than the difference between the 16GB and 32GB versions. Alas, as everyone has mentioned, you can't move apps to the SD. What's worse is that I would be fine if I could just move music and movies that I buy through the Google Store to the extSD, but you can't do that either. Basically, the extSD is only for stuff you want to move from a PC to the Tablet.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Your media.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

dream5695

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't give a flying fig what its designed for and we don't need lectures on the subject either...the fact is, my Samsung 7.7 tab has a SD card and I transfered a bunch of photos to it but the Tab can't read them...anywhere you search on the web about this problem, there are no answers...so wots the bloody point of an SD card in this Tab???????

Little Darwin

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I don't give a flying fig what its designed for and we don't need lectures on the subject either...the fact is, my Samsung 7.7 tab has a SD card and I transfered a bunch of photos to it but the Tab can't read them...anywhere you search on the web about this problem, there are no answers...so wots the bloody point of an SD card in this Tab???????

I haven't heard anything about issues with reading data from the SD Card... The complaints are that programs like apps2sd don't utilize the ext sdcard...

I can store and retrieve files from the SD card... I haven't tried photos, but I have used it for music. The bottom line is that it is just a file system mounted at a different mount point than it used to be...

What software are you trying to use to view the pictures?

ecorristine

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Do the galaxy tab 2 accept 64gb and if so what type card do I need. I've just boughta galaxy tab 2 GT P5113 , should I go a head and purchase the card, will it work for me ?

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Boni Cali

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I really didn't get to have a feel of final decision on whether APP2SD could or could not transfer apps.It seems not. I installed it on the Samsung 7" 2.0 and it shows the APPs than can be transferred to the card, but after that, I have no idea how to do it, if it can. I will try to complete this lengthy post to find out what I can expect.

I would like to save several things on a trial 16 GB card I bought to test the waters with this tablet. What I would like to use it for would be:

1)MP3 files easily that could be easily erasable and replaced on the SD card but it seems the tablet cannot identify mp3s in the card, nor read from it. I was able to transfer mp3's with SyncMate to the tablet only.

2) PDF and probably TXT files that I could send through e-mail and read.
3) Photos: I will try saving some from my Mac and next, try to access them from the card

So, I will continue reading the post now.:D

Boni Cali

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I haven't heard anything about issues with reading data from the SD Card... The complaints are that programs like apps2sd don't utilize the ext sdcard...

I can store and retrieve files from the SD card... I haven't tried photos, but I have used it for music. The bottom line is that it is just a file system mounted at a different mount point than it used to be...

What software are you trying to use to view the pictures?

How do you access the mp3's from the SD card?

BTW: How do you delete music already in the tablet?
Android is so hard!

Last edited:

David Richardson1

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I too have installed a 32 GB SD card in my GT-S7500 phone. The instructions to the phone explain how to do this. But there appears to be no way to store music on the card and then play the music. I don't want to have to go looking for apps to make this work. I want to store music on the SD card on my phone and then listen to it. I have moved the Music folder to the card, and the files are there, but the phone does not recognize them and cannot play them. This is supposed to be a consumer product, not a puzzle-box for geeks. How can I make the SD card work for storing and playing music?

yarnsrj

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Proprietary BS plain and simple. I just take my mp3s off the PC that I buy from Google, download and transfer to my eternal sd card. Some market apps actually recognized that I have an external sd card and actual asked if I wanted the app's extra 1.7 GB of data to download on phone memory, sdcard, or external memory. As someone else said, the app developers should make these options to install on external sd memory as well.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I too have installed a 32 GB SD card in my GT-S7500 phone. The instructions to the phone explain how to do this. But there appears to be no way to store music on the card and then play the music. I don't want to have to go looking for apps to make this work. I want to store music on the SD card on my phone and then listen to it. I have moved the Music folder to the card, and the files are there, but the phone does not recognize them and cannot play them. This is supposed to be a consumer product, not a puzzle-box for geeks. How can I make the SD card work for storing and playing music?

Which music player are you using?

extraclass

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
The 8 Gig Tab-2 gives you about 4Gig for apps! How many apps can you put in 4 Gig, maybe 150-200? You can't need that many apps! You can't use that many apps. If you have used all the memory with apps I will bet good money you have apps on your tablet that you have no idea what they are. I have 87 downloaded apps on my Tab-2 and plenty room left for more apps. I think people see this as an imaginary problem that is not a real problem.

I also have at least a hundred songs, a couple hundred photos and several full length videos including a couple football games. They are on my SD card and I have room for more! If I want to take some more movies with me when I make a long trip I just load them on another SD card!

BTW I still have 1.92 Gig on my 8 Gig Tab-2 and 2.25 Gig on a 16 Gig SD card. There is no memory shortage here!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The 8 Gig Tab-2 gives you about 4Gig for apps! How many apps can you put in 4 Gig, maybe 150-200? You can't need that many apps! You can't use that many apps. If you have used all the memory with apps I will bet good money you have apps on your tablet that you have no idea what they are. I have 87 downloaded apps on my Tab-2 and plenty room left for more apps. I think people see this as an imaginary problem that is not a real problem.

I also have at least a hundred songs, a couple hundred photos and several full length videos including a couple football games. They are on my SD card and I have room for more! If I want to take some more movies with me when I make a long trip I just load them on another SD card!

BTW I still have 1.92 Gig on my 8 Gig Tab-2 and 2.25 Gig on a 16 Gig SD card. There is no memory shortage here!

Some apps, especially high-end games, can take up a lot of space.

leekelz

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
The 8 Gig Tab-2 gives you about 4Gig for apps! How many apps can you put in 4 Gig, maybe 150-200? You can't need that many apps! You can't use that many apps. If you have used all the memory with apps I will bet good money you have apps on your tablet that you have no idea what they are. I have 87 downloaded apps on my Tab-2 and plenty room left for more apps. I think people see this as an imaginary problem that is not a real problem

?..when you buy a tablet for your child and one game takes up 2.6gb of your teeny 4.59gb that tends to be a problem.. dont know what useless 87 apps you have but I certainly couldnt fit 150 apps on here!
Its certainly not my imagination!... maybe I should just download all your apps instead of letting my son play batman???

BTW if you have nothing useful to add then maybe its wiser to stay off here and go find another 150 aps to download!