What's the point of the micro SD card? Can't save apps to SD...

extraclass

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
LEEKELS
I have read this forum and posted on it many times since I purchased my Galaxy Tab and now have the Tab2. Like most users this is a hobby for me and I have enjoyed playing with different devices singe I got a Palm Pilot. When I post it is usually to answer someone's question or to share my knowledge with someone else. I haven't tried to create friction with anyone because I enjoy this discussion group. I have learned much from reading others posts. I do have 87 apps on my Tab 2 plus all of the factory installed apps.
There is always a lag between new hardware and new software that uses all of the benefits of the new hardware. I am sure some of the new software will allow us to install large data bases to the SD card and not use unnecessary app memory.
Games have always required the fastest computer with the fastest video card, lots of memory and lots of disk space. Gamers know this an purchase hardware to meet their need! I haven't installed any app or game on my Tab 2 that requires 2.6 Gig of memory and am not a real gamer. This is something out of my area of knowledge.
I noticed that your reply to my post was your first post on this forum. Please read all of the posts on this forum and see the way other posters conduct themselves. I do enjoy learning from others posts and discussions and hope you will too.

Chuanuy5

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Yes lighten up. I found the info useful as I was trying to link my apps to SD and it didn't go. The post stating 4.something GB (4.59 in my case) served as a confirmation that I was in the ballpark. BTW, "Easy Voice Recorder" was installed by my 5 YO son and was eating up 3 GB, so now it's gone.

Fredrow4

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
How were you able to get movies and shows onto your micro sd card? When I download movies via VUDU or Flixter it saves straight to the internal memery.

extraclass

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I copy movies, music and photos to sub-directories on my SD Card with Windows Explorer. I stay away from the programs that try to Sync stuff like Google Music. I have a lot more on my computer than I ever want on my phone and with Explorer I can copy what I want to the SD Card.
I do use Google to sync my Calendar and Contacts with My phone, tablet, computer at home and computer at work.

As a precaution I back up my SD Card from my phone, tablet and camera to a sub on my computer just in case!

I have a couple astronomy programs that have large databases. One of these programs let me install the database on the SD Card. I think more large programs will be written to do this in the future.

I think I am safe to say that tie Tab 2 is not the biggest, fastest, highest resolution tablet available. If someone wants a tablet to play some of the big games one of the high end tablets may be better choice! My GT-2 lets me check the weather, check my email and catch up on the news when I am away from home. I have pictures and videos of the kids and grand kids and some of my work photos if I need them and a couple games like Suduko to keep me thinking. My GT-2 suites me and I am very happy with what it does!

extraclass

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Simple Answer. I have some things on my computer I do not want on my phone or on my Tablet! Google music started putting things on both that I did not want there. My grand kids play with my Tablet!

Firefox syncs my history file and bookmark file with my phone and tablet. Another couple things I do not want to share. I visit some political sites I do not want to share the content with a10 Year old! It would be so nice if they just let you turn these features OFF. Call me Old School but I do like my privacy.

A reply to a friend on the internet showed up on my Facebook Page. I no longer have a Facebook Account!

Search for your name on the internet, you may be surprised! A modification for a radio I posted on the internet about 20 years ago still pops up. There are 67 people on Google with the same name as mine! At least 3 of them are in prison!

nancyt22

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Extraclass..another ? About google music... ( I don't use it either)...but isn't it true if u did u can only put on the internal sd? I have the 2 7.0..I have a ton of my own music I have put on the external card..I put on about 1400 songs...I have them backed up right now on another micro sd card. I'm trying to put more on one of my laptops I'm using as a server for all of us to share the music. Photography is one of my hobbies so this size tab was perfect to take along..have you tried PicsArt photo app?...ucan doquite a bit with it along with the stock photo editor. I've really been happy with this tablet...I use it more than my laptop...always enjoy reading anyone's tips :) nt

nancyt22

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Just me again..i have a nook..is there anyway I can transfer the books on that to the ext sd card? From everything I've read it looks like you can't. ?...but the nooks come with an ext sd slot...so it would seem to me that if you dowload the nook app you should be able to have the books on the ext sd card like you would on the nook....am I on the right track? Thanks for any help...nt

extraclass

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I am not sure about the Nook! I have had no experience with it. If it has an sd card slot I would think there is some way to transfer books to the sd card and then to another tablet! There should be an app for that purpose or someone has probably come up with a way to do it! I feel sure there is a Nook Tablet Forum here on Android Central that will have answers to many questions you may have. an you plug it into your computer with a usb cable? That ability should give you a lot more options.

nikups

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
I can't use my music or movies if transferred to my SD card on my GT wifi. (P3113). I had to move everything back to the tablet in order to use them. :(

Krishnan101

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
There is one way to move apps fron sd card to external sd card. Select the apps from sd card. Cut the apps,then go to external sd card and paste it.
Now the apps will be moved from sd card to external sd card

mike29697

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Why is it so difficult to answer a simple question? I know my phone is not a PC and not designed with a lot of memory. Some apps can be transferred to the card others cannot without rooting my phone which I am afraid to do. THE QUESTION!!! Why does my phones manufacturer not want me to move more apps to the SD card? If I can do it by rooting Then it must be possible

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Why is it so difficult to answer a simple question? I know my phone is not a PC and not designed with a lot of memory. Some apps can be transferred to the card others cannot without rooting my phone which I am afraid to do. THE QUESTION!!! Why does my phones manufacturer not want me to move more apps to the SD card? If I can do it by rooting Then it must be possible

Do the app developers want you to move their app to the SD card?

mikehoff99

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
The thing that frustrates the heck out of me is that there was no way of knowing we were going to be so incredibly limited in what this can do.
Not a single place ANYWHERE does it say "8gb (expandable to 32gb with microsd crd(just not for apps). i bought 2 of these on black friday. 1 for each of my boys. i cannot return them now if i wanted to! now that christmas is over, and bills are dying down, i decided to get each of them a 32gb card each..installed them and they were very upset because they still needed to delete alot of their games they play all the time just to download a new one. even as i am typing this, i am getting more and more angry about this. i would have gone a different route and not spent an additional $70 for something that is absolotely useless for this tablet! what route could we go to possibly have a lawsuit? false advertisement. it is expandable, just cannot use it for what you need it for.
GGGRRRRRRRR. i am not new to Samsung, i have had the instinct, galaxy s, galaxy s 2, and i now have the galaxy note 2. if this does not get fixed, i will without a doubt switch from sammy to another brand. did i say GGGGRRRR yet?

freddy_261

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
@mikehoff99 - I'm in the same position as you. I bought 2x 7" Samsung Galaxy Tab 2s for my kids. They love them and to be honest, so do I. The problem arose when my boy downloaded a couple of big games, and got the out of space errors. I wasn't concerned and downloaded the APP2SD application. I've been an android phone user for three years so had experience with this app. The app runs and identifies apps that could be moved, but won't do it.

What happened? I thought the ability to move apps to removable media was even built in to android a couple of releases ago! It makes no sense to remove the ability to move apps.

Hemant Shah

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Buy some 64/32 mem card of ultra card,
If you can then swap your internal and external,
Card,
Then easily installs apps and games on your sd card

[hide]
★WHY CAN'T YOU HIT THANKS BUTTON IFF AM HELPING YOU
★Does thanking cost any Money,
★NOO!!!! $O Just Hit THANKS I Helped You
Time is LIFE,
SPEND IT WISELY
[/hide]

Hemant Shah

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
You are not able to install apps onto the SD card. That is the problem.

I m saying the same the if u swap ur sd ,
Using swao mod,
The at that time you memory card becomes your internal memory,
Nd vise versa

[hide]
★WHY CAN'T YOU HIT THANKS BUTTON IFF AM HELPING YOU
★Does thanking cost any Money,
★NOO!!!! $O Just Hit THANKS I Helped You
Time is LIFE,
SPEND IT WISELY
[/hide]

Trending Posts