What's the point of the micro SD card? Can't save apps to SD...

dmtchico

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Why is it so difficult to answer a simple question? I know my phone is not a PC and not designed with a lot of memory. Some apps can be transferred to the card others cannot without rooting my phone which I am afraid to do. THE QUESTION!!! Why does my phones manufacturer not want me to move more apps to the SD card? If I can do it by rooting Then it must be possible

FYI, You and all others.
The manufacturer (Samsung) didn't write the ANDROID OS.

Each device manfucturer must live within the Android OS.

So, tell it to Google.

At least Samsung made a user installable sdcard slot available.

Plus, complain to the APP DEVELOPERS.They can (thanks to Android) make it possible for the user to store they're huge data files to the sdcard slot which Samsung made available.

Yeeesh!

bugga

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Re: What's the point of the micro SD card? Can't save apps to SD.

I have a 7 inch tablet running gingerbread with internal + external SD cards and App2SD can only see the internal card, not my 32 GB external card.
Bugga.

atlantar6

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
FYI, You and all others.
The manufacturer (Samsung) didn't write the ANDROID OS.

Each device manfucturer must live within the Android OS.

So, tell it to Google.

At least Samsung made a user installable sdcard slot available.

Plus, complain to the APP DEVELOPERS.They can (thanks to Android) make it possible for the user to store they're huge data files to the sdcard slot which Samsung made available.

Yeeesh!

My Droid Maxx phone can store any app I want on the external micro sd card. It's on Android. How is that?

freddy_261

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
My Droid Maxx phone can store any app I want on the external micro sd card. It's on Android. How is that?

Which version of Android?

My phone is fine with moving apps to SD - Froyo (v2.2.2)

My Samsung GT 2 7.0 is not able to move apps to SD - it is running Jellybean (v4.1.1)

Although, I've just read that 4.1.2 is being rolled out now. I wonder if this will fix the apps to SD problem???

freddy_261

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Which version of Android?

My phone is fine with moving apps to SD - Froyo (v2.2.2)

My Samsung GT 2 7.0 is not able to move apps to SD - it is running Jellybean (v4.1.1)

Although, I've just read that 4.1.2 is being rolled out now. I wonder if this will fix the apps to SD problem???

Update: I've been in touch with Samsung Support on this subject and had the following reply:

"Thank you for contacting Samsung Customer Support.

I?m sorry you are having issues moving your apps to SD card. I can understand your frustration as it is good fro freeing up memory on the tablet.

Please note that moving or installing apps to external storage is no longer available on any Android from version 4.0 and above, due to how the Android operating system reads storage on our devices.

The Android OS now operates on a unified storage system from Ice Cream Sandwich onward, meaning it will read one data partition for storage, rather than two.

The reason why previous Android versions had the capability of moving apps to external storage was because the phones memory was split into two partitions, one for external storage and one for internal.

Now, with Android using a unified storage system, all applications will be stored completely on the internal memory of the phone. This allows for around 11GB of storage space on a 16GB device for apps. Google, the developer of Android, feels this is more than enough for users, as their operating system was designed for use on their own phones as well, which do not have any external storage at all.

Please also note that we do not advertise any of our devices as having the capability of running or installing apps directly onto the external memory card. You will have to install your apps to the internal memory, but anything else (music, videos, documents etc.) can be stored on your external memory card.
"

So. It is NOT Samsung who have created this problem, it is Google. Why any developer would want to remove functionality, is beyond me.

Do any of you have any idea how to log this with the Google Android dev team?

yarnsrj

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I think App developers have a say in where their apps are installed. The Bard'sTale app is almost 2gb. Upon downloading, you are given the option to install the additional 2gb of resources to sdcard0, or external sdcard. So when i look at my external sdcard, it too has a folder named Android with the additional 2gb of game data. So come on Devs and stay on top of google with allowing more Apps to external sdcard.

monsamson

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
i agree. this is no use to have that external sd card unless people root the device but why? why do they have to make it so complicated. Back to the old days? i switch to android because i thought it is easy to use buy i guess it is wrong

- - - Updated - - -

i agree. this is no use to have that external sd card unless people root the device but why? why do they have to make it so complicated. Back to the old days? i switch to android because i thought it is easy to use buy i guess it is wrong

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
There is no support for apps to SD, so what is the point in having an SD card for this? They may as well have made 40 GB of internal memory...

Movies, TV shows, music, pictures, rooms, backups, pretty much anything but apps.

Big mistake getting rid of apps2SD,but it's Google's folly.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm new to the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 world. I agree with folks saying 8gb isn't enough. I don't have a slew of apps on my device and already I'm down to 1.4gb left of storage. I'm conscience not to store anything (i.e.: photos, music, roms, etc...) on the main system storage. Still, I'm running out of room. The apps available now aren't as small (file size-wise) as they used to be. Some are clocking in around 1gb range.

Will M87

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Update: I've been in touch with Samsung Support on this subject and had the following reply:

"Thank you for contacting Samsung Customer Support.

I?m sorry you are having issues moving your apps to SD card. I can understand your frustration as it is good fro freeing up memory on the tablet.

Please note that moving or installing apps to external storage is no longer available on any Android from version 4.0 and above, due to how the Android operating system reads storage on our devices.

The Android OS now operates on a unified storage system from Ice Cream Sandwich onward, meaning it will read one data partition for storage, rather than two.

The reason why previous Android versions had the capability of moving apps to external storage was because the phones memory was split into two partitions, one for external storage and one for internal.

Now, with Android using a unified storage system, all applications will be stored completely on the internal memory of the phone. This allows for around 11GB of storage space on a 16GB device for apps. Google, the developer of Android, feels this is more than enough for users, as their operating system was designed for use on their own phones as well, which do not have any external storage at all.

Please also note that we do not advertise any of our devices as having the capability of running or installing apps directly onto the external memory card. You will have to install your apps to the internal memory, but anything else (music, videos, documents etc.) can be stored on your external memory card.
"

So. It is NOT Samsung who have created this problem, it is Google. Why any developer would want to remove functionality, is beyond me.

Do any of you have any idea how to log this with the Google Android dev team?

I created this account to inform everyone Samsung is LYING! I have a gtp3113 same issues with transferring apps while my adr6425lvw HTC rezound, running 4.0.1 not only has the option to but also automatically installs them to sd unless YOU move them back to internal storage.... WTF Samsung! I will be calling these scumbag liars at Samsung bright and early to address this hogwash.... This is simply Samsung attempting to force people to buy more expensive devices... Think about it, what makes your 16/32 better than my cheap 8gig if I can buy a sd card from someone other than Samsung(loss profits) and slap it in.... It's BS and has me so pissed at these con artists...

It's NOT ANDROID, IT'S SAMSUNG!!!!

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I created this account to inform everyone Samsung is LYING! I have a gtp3113 same issues with transferring apps while my adr6425lvw HTC rezound, running 4.0.1 not only has the option to but also automatically installs them to sd unless YOU move them back to internal storage.... WTF Samsung! I will be calling these scumbag liars at Samsung bright and early to address this hogwash.... This is simply Samsung attempting to force people to buy more expensive devices... Think about it, what makes your 16/32 better than my cheap 8gig if I can buy a sd card from someone other than Samsung(loss profits) and slap it in.... It's BS and has me so pissed at these con artists...

It's NOT ANDROID, IT'S SAMSUNG!!!!

I'd be VERY interested to find out the outcome of that conversation! Please let us know what happens... There has to be a way to load apps onto the SD card.

J

Ford Shortland

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
That's actually incorrect, it IS Google (Android). Samsung never made any customisations to their roms with the ability to install to SD, they ran close to stock Android, just adding their Touchwiz launcher. Thus, any previous models which could install to SD were running with the default android capabilities. HTC, on the other hand, are well known for customising everything about the OS as much as they can, it is far more likely that HTC customised their rom on this particular device to default to SD storage. As an avid android user, I have had many devices since 4.0 was released and the majority, across multiple brands, such as Sony Ericsson, HTC, Samsung, Oppo, Asus etc all lost their previous abilities to install to SD. I think it is something that Google seriously need to reconsider or make possible, as the only reason I started using SD cards was for the apps that I ran, apps that got a lot bigger over the years. I had one tablet that had something like 28GB of installed applications, and that was 99% games (and only 5 or 6 at that!). Now, I have to install 2, maybe 3 at most, and then remove one or two to install another. Ridiculously annoying!

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I shake my head over folks in this forum who say that 8gb (in reality, about 4.4gb) of storage is sufficient. Unfortunately, with some of the advanced games and apps, this is no longer the case. I only have a handful of apps on my device, aside from the ones preloaded from Samsung. I am constantly deleting ones to load others on the device. That makes no sense when we can purchase external SD cards. They should have the ability to store apps.

J

newtoandroid100

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,
I have got a samsung note tablet, N8000 I guess. I would like to get some advise on the following please.
1) how to delete pictures from my gallery as a whole folder?. As I accidently gave sync with my google accounts, it has taken all my picasa photos from 3 gmail accounts and its about 8 GB out of the16 capacity. I am not able delete them as a whole album or folder. I have already removed the settings ofstop syncing with these accounts.
2) how do I transfer pictures, music to sd card from the tablet and use it on the go ? Will the tablet recognise music files on the sd card. If so please adviceme on a step by step procedure, as I am not a geeky and I am new to android.
Thank you very much foryour advise in advance.

steff worthington

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm having a similar issue. I have the Galaxy Note and since the update none of the music players I've tried can see my 20+gb of music on my external micro sd. I can still play them... but I have to open them in file manager and play them individually. Ridiculous.

BuBuSpidecky

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi;
1) Yes you can move ANYTHING to External SD. Try: Link2SD. Just beware System apps (In the Root Rom) should be moved with EXTREME CAUTION...If it's needed for booting or recovery, you'll most likely brick it and have to re-flash.
If you are not rooted then Install SU (Super User). easiest way around rooting.

2) Jellybean has a serious Bug in it.
You can See the EXT-SD, you can Read the EXT_SD, but you can't Write to it. And, depending on the build and if the card is partitioned, the SD root has a folder called 179_1 in it; into which everything that was in the root of the card went. Well not exactly. 179_1 is the mount point for the first partition on the card, so basically it's showing you the partition table for the card.
You can solve the write problem by following this: External SD card is read-only in Jelly Bean
After you fix the Writing issue, You will still have the 179_1 file. Don't even try writing something to the root. If you do get it there it will sooner or later disappear. You'll just have to point everything to /ext-sd/179_1/*.
You will notice there is not a LOST FILE folder in the root either. Here's the funny thing, if you stick the card in a windows machine, Windows will open the 179_1 folder as the root. Not sure what the issue is, but that's for the developers to fix. My SD has 3 Partitions on it 2 FAT32 and 1 EXT4 which is hidden. When opening the card in android, it gives me 179_1 and 179_2 , the two FAT32 partitions...That's why I believe Android is showing the partition table. I haven' t tried a single partition card yet.

Cheers,
BuBu

Last edited:

mlhifi

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
I have an unbranded 10.1" tablet that is running I.C.S. v4.0.3
When I install an APP, I immediately go to MANAGE APPS, select that APP and click on "Move to SD Card"
This option is only available if the DEFAULT READING/WRITING STORAGE is set to "/mnt/sdcard"
All the APPS I have moved so far run just fine.
To confirm I wasn't fooling myself, I unplugged the SD card and then any APP selected says NOT INSTALLED.
Plug it back in and they all run fine. I am assuming that any memory the APP needs is probably still using internal storage rather than the SD card.
I am VERY new to android, so I may be missing something.
Comments more than welcome.
Mike

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie