Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Euroskank CM10

Default What's the point of the micro SD card? Can't save apps to SD...

There is no support for apps to SD, so what is the point in having an SD card for this? They may as well have made 40 GB of internal memory...
    AzD

Global Posts
    199 Global Posts

Media storage?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
    MichaelPayton21 likes this.

Default Re: What's the point of the micro SD card? Can't save apps to SD.

Mine is full of tv shows right now.

i think we need a solution to this...with 1 GB RAM and so many apps to install, Samsung needs to bring back the apps-to-sd feature with an update

first of all the device was not made for a "store everything you will ever want to the tab".. it is a 7" device that was designed to compete with the ereader market..it was never designed to compete with the 10" devices with lots of storage... ie.. 64 gig on ipad or 16 or 32 on regular tab... When selected your pictures are stored on the sd card... you can load movies to the card and watch them from there... you can also purchase the USB adaptor and use flash drives for a lot more stuff...the tab 7 is doing exactly what it was designed to do.. if you need more storage maybe a 7Plus would be a better buy... fortunately Samsung has many tabs to choose from and soon will have two more the Tab Note...
    Topgonzo, Xume and Golfdriver97 like this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

ROM
    Euroskank CM10

Quote Originally Posted by rw0749 View Post
    first of all the device was not made for a "store everything you will ever want to the tab".. it is a 7" device that was designed to compete with the ereader market..it was never designed to compete with the 10" devices with lots of storage... ie.. 64 gig on ipad or 16 or 32 on regular tab... When selected your pictures are stored on the sd card... you can load movies to the card and watch them from there... you can also purchase the USB adaptor and use flash drives for a lot more stuff...the tab 7 is doing exactly what it was designed to do.. if you need more storage maybe a 7Plus would be a better buy... fortunately Samsung has many tabs to choose from and soon will have two more the Tab Note...
    It has 40GB of storage with the micro SD card... I'd call that a lot... My GNex has "only" 32...

Checc xda bro they have a working script using smanager just put a widget on ur homescreen doesn't survive reboot but I have 8gb tab2 here's proof

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Please explain this better for a newby!

Basically u make use of ur external sd but I'm no pro bro try the link I'm banned from xda I was just spreading the word have u ever used smanager or v6 supercharger?

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by MR.SGE4G View Post
    Checc xda bro they have a working script using smanager just put a widget on ur homescreen doesn't survive reboot but I have 8gb tab2 here's proof Click to view quoted image

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2
    Can you please provide the link for this script? I can't locate it on XDA

ROM
    stock OTA OS

Well, the option of additional useful storage is available thanks to Samsung.

When particular developers get the clue, they can make the extsdcard an option to store data files.

Two Examples: Mortmusic player and Oruxmaps.
    Two very fine Apps. IMO

Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cynogen Mod

There's an App for that--- App2SD works wonders.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...5lLmFwcDJzZCJd
    Shannon Kish

Android Convert from BB
    Thanked by:
    pfullmer and Amanda Randall like this.

ROM
    stock OTA OS

Quote Originally Posted by shannonkish View Post
    There's an App for that--- App2SD works wonders.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...5lLmFwcDJzZCJd

Sorry, shannonkish, this particular forum thread is for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2's

Plus, Android 3+ and above devices don't support APP2SD.

But, it's not a problem, cause the newer OS can use most of the entire 8 or 16gb of ram for Apps, and then the additional microSDcard slot can be used for Music, Photos, Videos and anyother data files.

No Offense.
    android droid likes this.

Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cynogen Mod

Quote Originally Posted by dmtchico View Post
    Sorry, shannonkish, this particular forum thread is for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2's

Plus, Android 3+ and above devices don't support APP2SD.

But, it's not a problem, cause the newer OS can use most of the entire 8 or 16gb of ram for Apps, and then the additional microSDcard slot can be used for Music, Photos, Videos and anyother data files.

No Offense.
    I am aware of what the forum is for. I am using Apps2sd, the app, on my galaxy tab 2 7.0 as well as my Galaxy S2 devices as we speak. I also have it on my Nook Color which is rooted.
    Shannon Kish

Android Convert from BB
    Amanda Randall likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shannonkish View Post
    I am aware of what the forum is for. I am using Apps2sd, the app, on my galaxy tab 2 7.0 as well as my Galaxy S2 devices as we speak. I also have it on my Nook Color which is rooted.
    Shannon, I use this app on my rooted Nook Color as well as my HTC phone. I thought the gt2 had zero support for apps on the external sd card, even if an app like this was used. You're saying you can move apps to the sd card with this utility, and the gt2 will recognize & run those apps? This is news to me, but good news if it's true.

I know there's a script on XDA that basically swaps the internal and external memory, but I thought apps like this didn't work on the gt2.

Shannon, if you got this app to work, please let us know how. I'm running it right now on my gt2, with microSD installed. When I go to "on sd card" or try to move an app from internal memory, it says "the device does not have a real primary external storage, or the primary external storage is emulated."

Global Posts
    172 Global Posts

I put my sd card in my portable scanner. Scan my stuff then pop the sd card in my tab so I can email the docs I scanned.

That's one thing sd cards are good for. I'm a mobile notary.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    273 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rsage View Post
    Shannon, if you got this app to work, please let us know how. I'm running it right now on my gt2, with microSD installed. When I go to "on sd card" or try to move an app from internal memory, it says "the device does not have a real primary external storage, or the primary external storage is emulated."
    Yup i get this also

Default Re: What's the point of the micro SD card? Can't save apps to SD...

I get the exact same msg when I used apps2sd and I can't even get my rhapsody downloads to store on SD like they're supposed to! When I download them to play while offline it takes away from my internal memory BUT when I go to KY files icon it shows they're on SD card but no memory is removed from SD in settings. And when I delete them from my files the internal memory comes back!!! Help I don't get any of this don't no if this will let me post my email but gonna try n if anyone can help please let me no cuz Samsung was NO HELP AT ALL!! tattoodlady71@gmail.com
    So any "galaxy geeks" LOL SOS!! cuz my android phone has no probs with SD and rhapsody and appts in general.
    Vicki

my 64GB MicroSDXC card is already completely full. (well, remaining space is 72mb which is useless)

can't wait until Sandisk releases the 128GB MicroSDXC card in a few months.

Global Posts
    980 Global Posts

Android divides their memory into partitions to some degree. They have 1 to 2gb for apps and the rest of the device memory is for data storage.

When you look in the memory section of the settings, it will show you all of the memory as a whole. For example, you have a 16gb tablet, when you look in the memory settings, it may say 14gb available if nothing is installed. As you install apps, or store pictures, etc. The memory decreases and you get the rainbow line below to break down how much of what is using memory.

The device differentiates the extended memory as a file called "sdcard", as shown in the built in file manager. If you add a sd card in the physical slot, it shows as a file called "extsdcard" in the file manager. Some apps can take advantage of the external sd card obviously, like the camera and other apps that are coded for it.

I believe that as android has changed, from gingerbread to ICS to jelly bean now, the way apps are coded write data directly to the sdcard file which is internal storage. I believe that the devs need to re-evaluate their apps in the marketplace to allow them to use the extsdcard instead.

Also, supposedly google removed the app to sd card function due to possible digital rights problems. They had a few cases where companies were complaining about possible media copyright violations, so it was removed altogether to head off any lawsuits. That could just be speculation, but it is what i was hearing before ICS was released.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
    Hankster65 likes this.

Global Posts
    116 Global Posts

Of course you can save apps to micro sd using apptosd application.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 7.2 using Tapatalk 2

ROM
    stock OTA OS

Quote Originally Posted by jajano View Post

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 7.2 using Tapatalk 2

Have you actually tried moving installed APPS to SD on a GT P3113. Then be sure to tell us all how you did it (without rooting, which this thread is all about).

However, if you just want to SAVE (or backup) installed apps to the SD as your post suggests by the way it is worded, then that is easy via several different APPS.

Backing up APPS is very useful, when a favorite APP is broken by an update for a particular device.

I also suspect that you do not actually have a Galaxy Tab 7.2. Hahaha
    Last edited by dmtchico; 11-09-2012 at 08:27 PM.

I try to use APP2SD but still not working on Samsung Galaxy Tab 2's bro...

Quote Originally Posted by jajano View Post
    No, you cannot do this on an un-rooted p3113 with the app2sd application. Do you own this tablet? The external SD card in this tablet does not appear to the Android OS as a viable target for app2sd. The only way to do what you're saying is to root the tablet then use an app like link2sd or employ some other kind of hack.
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast