How do I put movies onto SD card to watch on my GT2?

akren5

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure that this is a really basic thing to do, but I have no idea how to do it. I will be going on a LONG trip this weekend, and would like to put a couple of movies onto an SD card so my kids and I can use the GT2 to watch, instead of lugging around bulky DVD players. Can someone please tell me how to do that? Do I have to rip the DVD onto my computer, then transfer them onto my SD card? How, exactly, do I do that? Approximately how many DVD's can a 32gb SD card hold? Like I said, I understand that this is pretty common because I read posts all the time about people putting movies and music onto the SD card, since we can't move apps to SD with the GT2. Step by step instructions would be really helpful to this newbie. Thank you all so much!

g1toevo678

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
You have to rip it on your computer using a software then transfer it to the sd card.

I use dvdfab but have read good things about handbrake as well. Handbrake is free.

Size depends on format.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

rw0749

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
to put it on your sd card it is a simple "copy" and paste.. you open the folder where your video is stored and right click it and you will see "copy" select that, then go and open the sd card on your "compute" selection the right click again and you will see paste.. a 32 gig card should hold 5 or 6 maybe 7 movies.. on the Tab you will have to use the task manager to place them in the correct folder to play

Reactions: Jazzy79

SithLord0498

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Trying to download a movie from Flixter. How can I have it download to my sd card?

Thanks!
Lisa

Sent from my GT-P3113

That's a very frustrating thing to do. I recently got an Ultraviolet digital copy of JAWS with my Blu-Ray, and it took me forever to figure it out. Also, once you download it, there doesn't seem to be any players on the market that will play that MP4 file. I believe it's encrypted and will only run using the Flixster app.

Anyway, I'm getting ahead of myself. Here's what to do.

1. Go to your movie's Flixster page (I'm assuming it's a digital copy through Ultraviolet?) and choose the DOWNLOAD option.

2. Once the movie is fully downloaded, look in your tablet's internal storage for the MP4 file. The file path is: /Root/sdcard/Android/data/net.flixster.android/files/wv

You should see an .mp4 file with a numerical filename. That's your movie. There is also a corresponding *.rght file. I don't know what it is or does, so I recommend leaving it alone. It's only 1 kb in size anyway.

Unfortunately, it will only play through Flixster (as far as I know), and it has to be in this wv folder to play. However, this one file can easily consume a huge portion of your tablet's internal storage.

What I did was move the file to a flash drive (or your microSD card if you'd like) so it's not eating up space. When I want to watch it, I copy the file and temporarily stick it back in this folder, deleting it again when I'm done. Since the filename is numerical and I don't know what will happen if I rename it, I just make a folder on the flash drive named after the movie so I know which one it is.

It's really a pain in the rear, but this is the only way I've found so far to work with keeping Flixster movies on external storage.

bstmstrxellos

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Trying to download a movie from Flixter. How can I have it download to my sd card?

Thanks!
Lisa

Sent from my GT-P3113

You can't. I've been trying to do that since I first got the tablet. Problem is that Samsung labeled the sd card as extsdcard and the internal storage as sdcard. The flixster app thinks it's putting it on the sd card when it's not and due to the drm, it won't play from anywhere else.

Ultraviolet is supposed to be releasing the common file format later this year. In theory once that happened, you can download them on the computer, transfer it to an sd card and play it with a player. Until that happens we are stuck with onobie taking up a lot of space.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

SithLord0498

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes, there is a way to download movies off Flixster and store them elsewhere for future use, but it is a pain in the butt to be sure.

1. Go into “My Collection” on the Flixster app and select “Download”

2. After the download is finished, look for the file in the following location: Sdcard – Android – data – net.flixster.android – files – wv. It will be an mp4 file with a numerical filename.

3. Without changing the filename or touching the corresponding .rght file (I don’t know what that file does, and I personally don’t want to mess with it), move the mp4 file to either your SD card—or a better option is to a USB flash drive. This will free up the tablet’s internal 8 GB storage.

4. So you don’t get confused which movie is which, I suggest creating a file folder on your storage drive (microSD or USB flash drive) named after the movie, and put the mp4 in there. Chances are if you change the file name, Flixster may not read it.

5. When you’re ready to watch the movie, COPY (don’t cut or move) the file back to the folder in Step 2. I did it by plugging my USB drive into the Tab via Samsung's $20 USB connector, and the transfer back took about two minutes.

6. Go into the Flixster app, press CANCEL every time you’re reminded there is no Internet collection (if you’re off-line that is), go to the movie in “My Collection”.

7. Click on “Watch Now” and the movie will begin playing.

In fact, that’s how I’m watching JAWS right now. :D

When you’re done watching the movie, revisit the Step 2 file path and delete the movie again so it’s not eating up space.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: Oops! Didn't realize new members apparently have their posts manually approved by moderators. I just assumed my original reply hadn't posted. This one is a more comprehensive, step-by-step explanation anyway.

Last edited:

agilpwd

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Yes, there is a way to download movies off Flixster and store them elsewhere for future use, but it is a pain in the butt to be sure.

1. Go into ?My Collection? on the Flixster app and select ?Download?

2. After the download is finished, look for the file in the following location: Sdcard ? Android ? data ? net.flixster.android ? files ? wv. It will be an mp4 file with a numerical filename.

3. Without changing the filename or touching the corresponding .rght file (I don?t know what that file does, and I personally don?t want to mess with it), move the mp4 file to either your SD card?or a better option is to a USB flash drive. This will free up the tablet?s internal 8 GB storage.

4. So you don?t get confused which movie is which, I suggest creating a file folder on your storage drive (microSD or USB flash drive) named after the movie, and put the mp4 in there. Chances are if you change the file name, Flixster may not read it.

5. When you?re ready to watch the movie, COPY (don?t cut or move) the file back to the folder in Step 2. I did it by plugging my USB drive into the Tab via Samsung's $20 USB connector, and the transfer back took about two minutes.

6. Go into the Flixster app, press CANCEL every time you?re reminded there is no Internet collection (if you?re off-line that is), go to the movie in ?My Collection?.

7. Click on ?Watch Now? and the movie will begin playing.

In fact, that?s how I?m watching JAWS right now. :D

When you?re done watching the movie, revisit the Step 2 file path and delete the movie again so it?s not eating up space.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: Oops! Didn't realize new members apparently have their posts manually approved by moderators. I just assumed my original reply hadn't posted. This one is a more comprehensive, step-by-step explanation anyway.

This is a really helpful post. Thank you.

LisaB

Sent from my GT-P3113

rw0749

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Actually if you have the USB adapter and the movie already on that you can play directly from the USB drive and not have to do the copy and delete..

dan8379

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Actually if you have the USB adapter and the movie already on that you can play directly from the USB drive and not have to do the copy and delete..

Ok, I've been struggling with this Flixster issue the past few days as well...are you saying that the USB adapter has storage space built in? I got one with the student edition and just assumed it was an adapter only and haven't even taken it out of the package yet.

SithLord0498

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
What he meant was, if you have the USB adapter, you can keep the movie file on a USB flash drive, plug it into the adapter, and just run the file off the drive instead of copying it to the Tab's internal storage.

miscrap

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
What he meant was, if you have the USB adapter, you can keep the movie file on a USB flash drive, plug it into the adapter, and just run the file off the drive instead of copying it to the Tab's internal storage.

just watched Battleship and Hunger Games that way and it worked perfectly.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

agilpwd

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
This works with Ultraviolet movies? My experience has been if you move the file anywhere it won't play through Flixster.

What I did for Flixster is keep the movie file on my external card, then move it into the correct folder in the internal memory when I want to watch. Flixster found it just fine.

LisaB

Sent from my GT-P3113

Carlos Lara

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi there,
You see rw0749 is rigth and wrong about, only 6 to 7 movies on a 32 GB card. Because is all depending on the format of the file because i have a 16 GB card and i manage to download 23 movies and about 1.2 GB of music plus several books on my HTC Inspire cell phone. So look to see if you get them in 3g or MP4 format with less than a GB for each. :)

Izzah Khurram

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
does the life of samsung tab 2 decreases as we watch movies , dramas on it

Does the samsumg note 2 tablet life decreases as we watch movies , dramas ..........!!!!!!????????????? Plz tell me I am confused

extraclass

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: does the life of samsung tab 2 decreases as we watch movies , dramas on it

Don't make it complicated with software apps. Download movies to your computer and then copy them to the sd card with a usb cable or sd card reader in the computer. Most Apps will find the movie for you and play it! This is much faster than downloading to the Tab-2 I have movies downloades from various places on the internet that play fine on my phone and Tab-2.

bschaust

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
but how do you get movies? i heard that there are less and less placed to actually download an MP4 for example. im looking at software like handbrake to rip from a dvd