Constant wifi activity

Jeffrey Clements

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
I've seen numerous threads about this on Android phones, but no solutions that have worked so far. When my tablet is connected to Wifi the download arrow constantly blinks (orange arrow) about once a second. I din't really care about this until I realized that it was affecting my battery life. The battery lasts about twice as long if I keep it in 4G. There is no phantom network activity in 4G. Some of the phone threads about this problem suggested the following:

Set wifi router to 5Ghz only - no effect
Kill Samsung S suggest - no effect
Look for culprit apps

I downloaded Traffic Monitor and I think I have pegged it to the "system traffic" category but can't get any more specific info. I wouldn't care if it wasn't affecting battery life and I obviously don't want to leave it in 4G all the time. For right now I have it shutting off wifi in sleep mode.

Last edited:

bblaze

Android Powered Human
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
You can try a factory reset to take the device back to default and verify that the problem still exists. That would help to pin down if the problem is related to any downloaded apps. Even though the traffic monitor says it's coming from system activity that doesn't preclude a third party app from being the culprit. Is the device still under warranty? You may try taking the device back to the place of purchase and see if they have any suggestions. They will probably tell you to factory reset the device also.

Sent from my Samsung Proclaim using the AC forums app.

extraclass

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
There is settings for how often to check E-mail and check for updates for software, check the weather etc. that will increase activity on your tablet. If it is a wifi only or phone connected it will keep checking the connections to be sure they still exist! If you are in a low signal area the phone part will transmit in high power because of the low receive signal. This really eats batteries.

Try turning OFF some of these things and let us know how it works out!