google books, nook, or kindle app?

alanierrn

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
ok, I have had my tab 2 for a couple of weeks now and I am ready to buy a book to read on it? Suggestions on which app to use? I know they are all similar, I'm just concerned about being able to read the book while I am offline. I know Google books allows this, didn't know about kindle or nook? Do any of them allow you to move the book to the SD card? Thanks!

anon(5486833)

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Nook has a cloud storage system for books and you can download them using the nook app for offline reading. Im no expert but I believe in the nook app there is no way to point it to another storage area e.g. sd cards, but again Im no expert. Hope this helps.

Little Darwin

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
The Kindle app uses a cloud, and also allows offline reading. I don't know if you can move books to the SD card, but honestly, books (unless graphically based) take up so little room, I never bothered to look into it. I see no need to keep more that 4 or 5 books at a time on my device.

I know with the Amazon MP3 player you can manually move the files to the SD card, but that doesn't guarantee that the same possibilities exist for the Kindle app. If there isn't a definitive answer here later, I may take a look and see what I can do.

I don't know about the possibilities for the Nook app, but you can try the Kindle app, and go out and find a free book to read on Amazon. There are always some floating around, so that might be a good way to decide if the Kindle app is for you. There is an Android app "Free Kindle Books and Tips" and there are regularly free books that the author finds that are worth downloading in various genres.

My guess is that the best decision would be based on available content and the related prices, or if you already have some eBooks on Amazon or B&N that would help me decide...

Little Darwin

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I did look a bit last night, and it doesn't appear to be a way to get the Kindle app to look at the External SD card. The Kindle data directory is buried somewhere like /sdcard/Android/data/Amazon or something like that... and no menu option to store elsewhere.

If space is an issue, there is a possibility to move files to the Ext sdcard, and move them back to where Kindle expects them to be when you are ready to read them, but I don't know if that would disrupt whatever scheme they use to keep things in sync with the cloud. Also, the files do not have user friendly names, so it would be difficult to determine which book was which.

So, offline reading is not a problem, but using the external card presents some challenges (at least).

Roni1188

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I just got my galaxy tab 2 and was wanting to be able to do the same thing. I already have many book files on my computer that I wanted to be able to read on my tab 2 whenever I wanted. I downloaded the Moon+ Reader Pro on the google play store and so far I love it. I was able to put the books on my external sd card and load them into the reader just fine. I will read most book files and with the pro version in also will read pdf. I am quite happy with this so far. I hope this helps.

yarnsrj

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Moon+Reader Pro reads all formats and you can put the ebook files on extSD card. All my files are DRM free.I do know that kindle format ebooks, ( mobi files) will only open when placed directly within the Amazon Kindle folder. I use both of these but prefer the flexibility of Moon+ Reader Pro.

Penguin_02

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
When you buy a book is it stored in the cloud until you download it to your device? How does that work? you have a library until you want to use it?
What is the capacity of each app. is there is a limit on how many books that service can hold?

garytucson

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I know this is an older thread, but I came here earlier looking for an answer to this question and didn't find it here. I have since discovered a solution on my own that others might find useful, so I'm posting this reply for anyone who comes to this site for this same problem, wanting to keep their ebooks on the external SD card and use a reader that won't require them to download each book to the internal memory in order to read them.

Since Honeycomb, almost none of the 'major' names in ereaders (Kindle, Nook,. etc.) will look to the external SD card for anything because google made a stupid decision regarding external storage, which caused developers to quit devloping apps that could be moved to or use external storage, eventhough users loved the convenience of storing as much as possible on ever less expensive SD cards under Gingerbread. If your phone or tablet still has Gingerbread, you can still save all your ebooks, Kindle or otherwise, on the external SD card and Kindle, Nook, etc. will still look for them there and load them from it. But if you use Honeycomb, Ice Cream Sandwich or Jelly Bean, they will not. However, there are a few readers that are overall just as good as Kindle, if not better, that WILL let you store and read almost all of your ebooks from your external SD card, but all of them require a little patience. My favorite is FB Reader because it has the most options with the smallest footprint (read memory requirement). Here's how to make it work in Jelly Bean (this may be similar in HC & ICS but you'll have to play with it on your own as I have only JB):

1 Download and install it for free from the play store
2. Make sure all of your ebooks are in the same folder on your external SD card (it doesn't matter what you name it)
3. Start FB Reader
4. Press 'library' icon (the first of five at the top of the screen that looks like books on a shelf)
5. Press 'file tree' icon (the last of the seven that appear)
6. Press 'device' icon (the one in the middle)
7. Press 'storage' icon (just scroll down and find it)
8. Press 'extSdCard' icon (mine's the top one, your's might not be)
9. Find whatever folder you put all your ebooks in (mine is Kindle, your's is whayever you named it)
10. Choose whichever book you want to read from the list by pressing it
11. Press the 'READ' icon at the top of the screen and viola, you're reading a Kindle (or almost any other ebook format) book from your external SD card without downloading or transferring it to your internal memory.

Hopefully you can make this work for you the way I did and have laid out, step by step. No, it's not as smooth and effortless as it used to be with the Kindle app on my older 7 inch tablet running Gingerbread, but we can thank google for screwing that up for us.

Pleasant reading!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke