set SD card as default storage?

drowcon

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
I was wondering if it was possible to make it so that the Galaxy tablet would automatically store downloads on the sd device instead of my internal hardrive, there doesnt seem to be an option for this in the storage section of settings.

Thanks

yarnsrj

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Open web browser, in upper right corner click on that menu icon, scroll down to settings, advanced, change default storage from device to "memory card".

Moses Zeiger

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
The only way I have figured is using he browser the comes with the deivce. Going to settings advance setting . The change storage optionsI havent figured this out for othes like chrome and firefox

Ferenczy

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Not a problem with Dolphin Browser. It allows you to set your default directory every time you dl. Cache cleaners seem to reset ot though.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Android Central Forums

fablis

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Open web browser, in upper right corner click on that menu icon, scroll down to settings, advanced, change default storage from device to "memory card".

Does this setting also change it for Google Play Store downloads and installations?

Jaquenta Jackie

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
I was wondering if it was possible to make it so that the Galaxy tablet would automatically store downloads on the sd device instead of my internal hardrive, there doesnt seem to be an option for this in the storage section of settings.

Thanks

I've read the full thread and I really didn't find a post that was too helpfull. Looks like most are working on the assumptions that everyone is as tech savvy as themselves but that is not so. I have a Samsung galaxy tab 2 and I have the same problem with storage space. I've added Apps and I'm low on memory even with a 16gb sdcard. I'd found the MyFiles icon in the APPS section of the home screen... but didn't understand how to switch the settings from internal to external storage when the storage screen pops up showing both the EXTSDCARD and SDCARD. So I'm going to try to copy the folders from the sdcard section into the extsdcard section and set the directories to the extsdcard.

Here are the steps I took to do this:

1. Open MyFiles app from the APPS menu
2. Click on the SDCARD icon on the left and it allows you to select all the folders on the right by checking the box at the top. I selected all of the folders except ANDROID and NOTIFICATIONS
3. Select Copy. the icon that looks like two pieces of paper.
4. Select the subfolder in the EXTSDCARD folder.
5.Select Paste. the icon that looks like a clipboard... to me it looks like two pieces of paper but the common icon is a clipboard.
TO SET THE DIRECTORY:
1. Next I clicked on the triple bar icon in the upper right corner and selected SETTIN GS.
2. Then I clicked on SET HOME DIRECTORY and that brings up the MyFiles section again.
3. I chose EXTSDCARD folder icon.
4. I clicked DONE.
TO SET THE IMAGE, VIDEO, MUSIC AND DOCUMENT DIRECTORIES:
1. I then checked SHOW CATEGORIES . it dehighlights SET HOME DIRECTORY and highlights the other options.
2. I set the directories to a corresponding directory on the EXTSDCARD.

I've tested my changes only by taking a picture with my camera and checking to see if it saved to the correct drive and it did. I checked both the EXTSDCARD and the SDCARD. It saved correctly to the EXTSDCARD. I don't know how much this will help but if I find any problems I will update the thread.

Last edited:

Jaquenta Jackie

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
Ok ... soooo ... I tried something else and so far so good!
I decided to add the ANDROID folder from the SDCARD0 to the EXTSDCARD folder. Same as above ... copied and pasted all of its content into the other folder. But ... and I did the next step with sweat on my brow and a shaking hand ... I decided to delete one of my APPS data folders in the SDCARD0 ANDROID DATA folders ... the System folder. I know ... it was a bit risky! I first tried it with an obscure grocery store app i'd downloaded a while back. I'd already transfered all of the folders from the SDCARD0 ANDROID DATA folder to the EXTSDCARD ANDROID DATA folder, so it was basically backed up on the external drive. But I was still afraid I was going to skrew something up.
I removed the single WEGMANS DATA file. Then, I opened the app to see if it would still work and ... it worked fine! I checked the storage in the settings menu and my memory calculations showed a decrease in memory on my mounted SDCARD and an increase in memory in my internal/system memory in the AVAILABLE SPACE section and the APPLICATION section. So ... with more fear then a bomb squad agent difusing a bomb ... ok maybe not that much but if you live on your mobile device you may understand ... I decided to throw caution to the wind and delete the rest of the content in the SYSTEMs SDCARDS0 ANDROID folder. I immediately checked other apps like Facebook, Bejeweled, other games and my default browser and besides having to connect back to certain social media sites ... there were no problems ... that is so far!
I've checked my system storage again and ... I don't really know how to do a screen shot or if I can on the SG2 tab... but this is what I saw ...

STORAGE
TOT SPACE: 8GB
APPS: From @3.53GB To @2.75GB
AUDIO: unchanged
MISC: unchanged
AVAILABLE SPACE: From @473MB To @1.64GB

SD CARD

SO... I guess it worked! I've seen marked differences including a faster browser and the apps are not experiencing some of the lag they were before. I'll wait until the next updates to see if I experience any problems and, as before, if I begin to see any problems i will update the thread.

UPDATE
I checked MyFiles again and it looks like DATA files are still being loaded into the SDCARD0 ANDROID DATA folder. Might be when i open up an App. Also, I don't know if it is important but I just experienced some freezing while typing this update.
Will keep you informed!

UPDATE
Must have been downloading an update because everything's running fine now! YAY!

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm