'storage space running out'

James Arnott

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I am getting this notification constantly. It prevents download of anything and is affecting other aspects of my phone. Out of 11.25GB total space I am using less than half. This has begun since the last software upgrade. How can I fix it???

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I am getting this notification constantly. It prevents download of anything and is affecting other aspects of my phone. Out of 11.25GB total space I am using less than half. This has begun since the last software upgrade. How can I fix it???

Try clearing cache in recovery.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

extraclass

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Are you looking at internal memory or the memory on your sd card? The Tab-2 does not save apps to the sd card but will install them in internal memory only! Of you have an 8 Gb Tab-2 you will only have about 4 Gb for apps.

Go to SETTINGS, STORAGE and give it a few seconds and you will get a report of all of your memory allocations including DEVICE MEMORY and SD CARD MEMORY. The Total Space of the DEVICE memory should be about 4.5 GB if you have an 8GB Tab-2

Look at some of the posts with SD CARD in the title and you will find a good discussion of memory usage! Put all Pictures, Movies and Music on the sd card to leave more room for apps in the device memory.

Stu40

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
This definitely works on the Galaxy S2 (I restored 1.4 gig of space after doing this), but not sure about the Galaxy Tab 2. A simple way to free up storage space is by deleting all the log files in the device memory. Just dial *#9900# on the tablet and select option 2 “Delete dumpstate/logcat” in the prompted menu. It's not necessary to root your android either.

Rain Beau

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
(This was meant for Stu40)

I had to make an account just to say THANK YOU. I have been scouring the internet for a fix to my problem for MONTHS. After deleting basically all of my apps, clearing caches, etc, nothing would clear more than a couple mbs which immediately were being filled with something else. I was about to say screw it and go buy a new phone. This method cleared 1.1gb of internal space for me so THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU. I want to reach across cyberspace and hug you, ha. :D

ansul gupta

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
after lots of struggle with thousand of tutorials, feeds, apps.....etc...i got fed up :(
But this worked like miracle....i didn't hope...i would work....but seriously guysssss.....worked like Charm.....in one splash all the consumed memory got free..........Thanks You So Much....Keep it uppppppppppppppppp

deanper95

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
I found the solution to mine.
1. Go to the playstore
2. Go to my apps
3. Delete the unnecessary apps that come with the phone and have updates.
That should work because those updates and apps take up lots of space. Let me know if it works :)

extraclass

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
You can't delete most of the apps included when you purchase a Tab but you can delete the updates. Of course the updated app is bigger than the original and with every round of updates they use more and more of our memory. But if you turn on automatic updates they will grow in size again!
No easy answer!

executiveg

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
This definitely works on the Galaxy S2 (I restored 1.4 gig of space after doing this), but not sure about the Galaxy Tab 2. A simple way to free up storage space is by deleting all the log files in the device memory. Just dial *#9900# on the tablet and select option 2 ?Delete dumpstate/logcat? in the prompted menu. It's not necessary to root your android either.

i have a samsung note 2 with Verizon.i always also have a memory/storage problem also.
i tried dailing *#9900# and didnt get nothing.

am i dialing the number right with the * first right?
does this number work with verizon and on a Note 2?
is there a differant number for verizon maybe?

Srikant Sridharan

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
I can confirm that dialling *#9900# and selecting option 2 ?Delete dumpstate/logcat? worked even on a Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N700. I freed nearly 1G of space ! THANK YOU SO MUCH !!

executiveg

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm that dialling *#9900# and selecting option 2 ?Delete dumpstate/logcat? worked even on a Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N700. I freed nearly 1G of space ! THANK YOU SO MUCH !!

Oh wow.
Who is your phone provider? Verizon?
When I dial that number I get the message saying connected to Verizon wireless and your call cant be completed.i wonder if iam dialing it right

Sent from my Verizon Note 2.SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums .

sheerhavoc

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
Thank you so much for the valuable info. I spent about an hour deleting all my messages and photos and videos. It took 3 seconds doing it your way! Now have 1.44GB to play with!

Kelly Burby

Banned
Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
This definitely works on the Galaxy S2 (I restored 1.4 gig of space after doing this), but not sure about the Galaxy Tab 2. A simple way to free up storage space is by deleting all the log files in the device memory. Just dial *#9900# on the tablet and select option 2 “Delete dumpstate/logcat” in the prompted menu. It's not necessary to root your android either.

You have mentioned that dialing *#9900# will clear log files from device memory of Galaxy S2. Will it work for tab2 ???? I was trying to do and ended up with just nothing ??? please let me know if i am doing something wrong ?