How can I open an html file in the Web browser?

jimmrepp

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
I used to be able to do this and a dialog would ask if I wanted to open the file with the browser or a text editor. Now it just uses a text editor. Is there a setting that I accidentally hit to always use a text editor? How do I undo it. I can use an app to create a shortcut :)cool:), but now it just opens the html file in a text editor. Can anyone give me a pointer? Thanks, Jimm

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I used to be able to do this and a dialog would ask if I wanted to open the file with the browser or a text editor. Now it just uses a text editor. Is there a setting that I accidentally hit to always use a text editor? How do I undo it. I can use an app to create a shortcut :)cool:), but now it just opens the html file in a text editor. Can anyone give me a pointer? Thanks, Jimm

You can clear the app preferences in Application Manager; maybe you hit always on something else and the same command is doing that now.

jimmrepp

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, I'm still missing the first rung. I don't find any Application Manager that has anything useful in it.

jimmrepp

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I have Apps. It takes me to a page full of app icons. One is My FIles, in which is the html file I would like to open. Another is Internet, which I'm assuming is the browser that I would like to open the file with. A third is Settings, which may contain some setting that I have made by mistake to always open html files with a text editor. In Settings is a section called Application Manager, which allows me to change certain settings for some apps, none of which is the browser. I have used this last feature to clear data, clear cache, and clear defaults for any app that I can imagine might have something to do with this situation. Can you think of something more I could look at? Thank you, by the way, for taking the time to consider this with me. AHA! I just cleared these items for a few more apps and then restarted my device and got the file open dialog box again. I'm not sure which one fixed it but I can be a little more scientific if it happens again. Thanks again for your encouragement.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I have Apps. It takes me to a page full of app icons. One is My FIles, in which is the html file I would like to open. Another is Internet, which I'm assuming is the browser that I would like to open the file with. A third is Settings, which may contain some setting that I have made by mistake to always open html files with a text editor. In Settings is a section called Application Manager, which allows me to change certain settings for some apps, none of which is the browser. I have used this last feature to clear data, clear cache, and clear defaults for any app that I can imagine might have something to do with this situation. Can you think of something more I could look at? Thank you, by the way, for taking the time to consider this with me. AHA! I just cleared these items for a few more apps and then restarted my device and got the file open dialog box again. I'm not sure which one fixed it but I can be a little more scientific if it happens again. Thanks again for your encouragement.

Cool! Glad that helped!

Sent from a M.O.A.R. Galaxy S3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781