Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Unhappy with firmware update

I bought my Galaxy tablet in July and I absolutely loved it. After a few weeks I got a notice of a firmware update, which I only just installed today. I absolutely hate it. Samsung made some pretty drastic changes to the skin. The notifications is now white and takes up the whole screen when you pull it down, the out-of-the-box live wallpaper I was using has disappeared altogether, and it looks like the text and icons are bigger now. It's really frustrating. I've spent the whole night messing with launch screens, but it's not fixing all the issues I have with the redesign.

Will a factory reset get rid of the update? I'm a bit loathe to just try it, since it will delete everything off the device, and because I've been happy with the previous update that brought Hangouts onto my phone (which did not come pre-loaded). If I manage to undo this update, will I be able to reinstate old ones? Or should I just suck it up and deal with my now incredibly ugly tablet?
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    20,815 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Unhappy with firmware update

Quote Originally Posted by jennapi View Post
    I bought my Galaxy tablet in July and I absolutely loved it. After a few weeks I got a notice of a firmware update, which I only just installed today. I absolutely hate it. Samsung made some pretty drastic changes to the skin. The notifications is now white and takes up the whole screen when you pull it down, the out-of-the-box live wallpaper I was using has disappeared altogether, and it looks like the text and icons are bigger now. It's really frustrating. I've spent the whole night messing with launch screens, but it's not fixing all the issues I have with the redesign.

Will a factory reset get rid of the update? I'm a bit loathe to just try it, since it will delete everything off the device, and because I've been happy with the previous update that brought Hangouts onto my phone (which did not come pre-loaded). If I manage to undo this update, will I be able to reinstate old ones? Or should I just suck it up and deal with my now incredibly ugly tablet?
    Welcome to the forums!
    A reset will NOT bring you back to your old firmware. But I would suggest this. You can try installing a different launcher like Nova or Action. Those allow you to make changes to the device that the stock launcher won't let you do.
    Now, when you do this, you may lose some widgets. On my S3 I lost the Accuweather widget, because it was tied to the stock launcher, but after a while, I didn't care.
    Guide for Nova: [GUIDE] Nova Launcher
    Guide for Action: [GUIDE] Action Launcher - Updated for 1.9.0

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Welcome to the forums!
    A reset will NOT bring you back to your old firmware. But I would suggest this. You can try installing a different launcher like Nova or Action. Those allow you to make changes to the device that the stock launcher won't let you do.
    Now, when you do this, you may lose some widgets. On my S3 I lost the Accuweather widget, because it was tied to the stock launcher, but after a while, I didn't care.
    Guide for Nova: [GUIDE] Nova Launcher
    Guide for Action: [GUIDE] Action Launcher - Updated for 1.9.0
    Oh wow, thanks for responding so quickly. When I said I was messing around with launch screens, I actually meant launchers--I'd actually already tried Nova. Does anyone happen to know of any launchers that change the notifications panel? None of the ones I tried changed that, and it's one of the most frustrating changes that's been made.

Also, does this happen often, where Samsung just scrambles their skin?

Global Posts
    20,815 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Oh wow, thanks for responding so quickly. When I said I was messing around with launch screens, I actually meant launchers--I'd actually already tried Nova. Does anyone happen to know of any launchers that change the notifications panel? None of the ones I tried changed that, and it's one of the most frustrating changes that's been made.

Also, does this happen often, where Samsung just scrambles their skin?
    Sorry for the misunderstanding. To my knowledge, no launcher can change the drawer.
    And Samsung normally doesn't make a radical change like this.

Sent from a Slim 4.3 S3

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi

It was a bit of a shock to me too. It took some getting use to. I am using Nova Launcher now, as it is big-time customizable. As for your live wallpaper, try searching for it in the Play Store. It may be in there.

Sent from my GT-P3113 4.2.2

Posted via Android Central App

Nova launcher or other launchers make your system very slow. Google how to root your device... then you can flash a custom ROM.

Sent via Tapatalk
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Sorry for the misunderstanding. To my knowledge, no launcher can change the drawer.
    And Samsung normally doesn't make a radical change like this.
    Bummer. At least it shouldn't be too much of a repeat thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Gallagher View Post
    It was a bit of a shock to me too. It took some getting use to. I am using Nova Launcher now, as it is big-time customizable. As for your live wallpaper, try searching for it in the Play Store. It may be in there.
    Wasn't it shocking? And it's such a downgrade appearance-wise. I actually found a before shot that I was going to post to give a comparison, so I might as well
    Before
    Unhappy with firmware update-245wt2x.png
    After
    Unhappy with firmware update-screenshot_2013-09-21-07-32-26.png
    Like, who would do that?? I did manage to find my background in the play store, so that was at least nice. Are you having issues with your battery? I feel like mine is dying really quickly these past two days.

Quote Originally Posted by minifreddusch View Post
    Nova launcher or other launchers make your system very slow. Google how to root your device... then you can flash a custom ROM.
    I'd had that idea, but I'm not sure how comfortable I am rooting it. My friend had some issues with a rooted phone, so I was hoping for another solution. Might look into it though if I feel like I can't get used to the new look.
    Last edited by jennapi; 09-21-2013 at 05:13 PM. Reason: oops wrong picture

Bummer. At least it shouldn't be too much of a repeat thing?

Wasn't it shocking? And it's such a downgrade appearance-wise. I actually found a before shot that I was going to post to give a comparison, so I might as well
    Before
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	245wt2x.png 
Views:	109 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	82528
    After
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2013-09-21-07-32-26.png 
Views:	35 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	82532
    Like, who would do that?? I did manage to find my background in the play store, so that was at least nice. Are you having issues with your battery? I feel like mine is dying really quickly these past two days.

I'd had that idea, but I'm not sure how comfortable I am rooting it. My friend had some issues with a rooted phone, so I was hoping for another solution. Might look into it though if I feel like I can't get used to the new look.
    Yes, my battery seems to drain pretty quickly. It doesn't help that i am on it all the time either. I'm glad you found your background. That may have a bit to do with some battery drain. Live wallpapers will since they are basically running all the time. All in all, I like the update. I have had it for a good month now. I have gotten used to all the new "bells and whistles." The only real problem I have is Netflix skipping and buffering all the time, which it never did before the update. Hope you have good luck with yours.

Also, your brigtness has a lot to do with battery draining. A lot of battery saving apps tell you to put it on auto, but, in my opinion is a pain. In dim light, it goes dim too and you can barely see the screen. I try to keep mine at midway or lower. It doesn't drain quite as quick. Hope that helps with your battery issue.

Try "Framaroot"... It roots your device with 2 clicks

Sent via Tapatalk

13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

In regards to the battery, I meant that it drains fast with respect to how it was before. I've always used a live background, and I don't usually have the screen that bright. In fact, I'd say I use it less than I did in the past. Just sitting unused with the screen off for a few hours is having a significant impact. I did leave it plugged into the charger all day by accident--could I have damaged the battery by doing that?

Global Posts
    20,815 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

In regards to the battery, I meant that it drains fast with respect to how it was before. I've always used a live background, and I don't usually have the screen that bright. In fact, I'd say I use it less than I did in the past. Just sitting unused with the screen off for a few hours is having a significant impact. I did leave it plugged into the charger all day by accident--could I have damaged the battery by doing that?
    Just once, doubtful. You would do more damage to it by completely draining it every day.

Sent from a Slim 4.3 S3

Phone Timeline

I see. It is pretty ridiculous that the battery drains from lack of use.

When I first received the update, I did do a factory reset only to find it didn't do anything. I do not like this update and am very disappointed. I liked my screenshot button it was easy and convenient. Now it is so awkward trying to hold down the volume and power keys. It doesn't work half of the time that I try to do it. I don't like the way my tablet looks. I'm so dissapointed and wish I never updated.
    Thanked by:

If you installed 4.2.2 try to download previous version 4.1.2 from www.Sammobile.com and install it by odin it is easy and search for it on YouTube

Posted via Android Central App

Ever since this update I can't turn my tablet off (it just turns itself back on) and the tablet runs really slow. I mean 5 times slower than before the update. I may have to root and get a custom rom on this thing so I can go back to an old version, unless Samsung fixes this mess they created.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kreutsberg View Post
    Ever since this update I can't turn my tablet off (it just turns itself back on) and the tablet runs really slow. I mean 5 times slower than before the update. I may have to root and get a custom rom on this thing so I can go back to an old version, unless Samsung fixes this mess they created.
    For some reason, I don't see Samsung doing that. Stranger things have happened, though.

Mark Kreutsberg likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kreutsberg View Post
    As I have said all over these forums, SAMSUNG NEVER MADE A STABLE ROM FOR THIS DEVICE. the objective of it is to scam people out of their wallets and then make them pay more for something STABLE. Yeah custom ROM is only choice if you don't want to go insane using this thing.

Posted via my weird GT-P3113
    Thanked by:

Framaroot doesn't work. Tried it, and it says that it's not compatible

Agreed. I don't want to go to CyanogenMod 10.2 because of the warrenty (I have a habit of breaking devices ), But why can;t they use the default, 2 panel, bar? Like the nexus 7. I am Overall, VERY annoyed with the update.
    Although, I have good news. We Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 Owners will be getting the android 4.3 (Maybe, probably) update!

Quote Originally Posted by jbombs03 View Post
    Agreed. I don't want to go to CyanogenMod 10.2 because of the warrenty (I have a habit of breaking devices ), But why can;t they use the default, 2 panel, bar? Like the nexus 7. I am Overall, VERY annoyed with the update.
    Although, I have good news. We Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 Owners will be getting the android 4.3 (Maybe, probably) update!
    You might get 4.3, but the GUI probably won't change any. Cyanogenmod 10.2 really improves the tab. I had improved battery life, less lag, and none of the silly bloatware. The GUI on stock Android is a lot nicer than touchwiz. Just remember that the IR blaster won't work with Cyanogenmod.

Sent from the awesome new Nexus 7
    Be sure and hit the thanks button if anything I said was helpful to you!

Hi, I brought my galaxy tab 2 10.1 with phone just over 1 year ago. It was a great product until the awful firmware update. Now nothing works on my tablet. I even got ripped off paying a tech $121.00 to try and get my useless device to work. When I updated the firmware late last year I immediately had many problems and I tried the factory reset, did nothing, I have disabled many apps I don't use, makes no difference. If I try and download anything I need to put it on my modem only for the device to keep taking itself off the modem, my cellular barely works. Everything to do with the screen is like trying to swim through mud, to take a screenshot without the volume bar captured is a miracle. And only since update, my battery drains very fast. Does anyone have any suggestions besides throwing the device down the tip? Thanks
    Last edited by nowhatesamsung; 03-25-2014 at 08:31 AM. Reason: forgot to add battery draining

When you say you did a factory reset did you go to serttings -->back up &reset -> factory data reset? This will erase your Google account and return the device to new. This is often what needs to be done if you have issues with an update. There is a difference between a "reset" which is just a forced reboot (it changes nothing in your system) and a factory data reset (which erases everything for a fresh start)

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast