Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Wrong file type...

Every time I select "save video" while watching a youtube video in google chrome (mobile version), I'm asked which program I'd like to perform this action with. The only one I can select that seems like it might work is 'photo gallery', and I MUST select a photo before the video download begins. The problem is, the video is downloaded with the filename of the selected photo...'with a jpg extension. Hence when I try to play the video later, the system thinks it's a photo and will not open it. I can of course change the filename, but it won't allow me change the extension from jpg to mp4. Suggestions anyone?

Global Posts
    4,693 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Kitkat

Default Re: Wrong file type...

Quote Originally Posted by George Blades View Post
    Every time I select "save video" while watching a youtube video in google chrome (mobile version), I'm asked which program I'd like to perform this action with. The only one I can select that seems like it might work is 'photo gallery', and I MUST select a photo before the video download begins. The problem is, the video is downloaded with the filename of the selected photo...'with a jpg extension. Hence when I try to play the video later, the system thinks it's a photo and will not open it. I can of course change the filename, but it won't allow me change the extension from jpg to mp4. Suggestions anyone?
    What are you using to change the extension?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

There 'IS' nothing that allows me to do this, apparently.

Global Posts
    4,693 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Kitkat

There 'IS' nothing that allows me to do this, apparently.
    Have you tried changing it using a file explorer? How about changing the extension on your computer?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Rather than change the extension, I would rather know how to save the youtube video with it's proper extension, but I don't use a pc much these days, hence my reason for buying the tsb 2. The thing is, it was saving vids just fine until a month ago when it suddenly started asking which program I should open the file with. Choices were like music player, camera, gallery etc., and when I select gallery, I then must select a photo before the video will download...'and be named "filename.jpg", whereas it should be an mp4. It's like a registry error I've seen in win xp, but this isn't windows. Strange.

Global Posts
    4,693 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Kitkat

Rather than change the extension, I would rather know how to save the youtube video with it's proper extension, but I don't use a pc much these days, hence my reason for buying the tsb 2. The thing is, it was saving vids just fine until a month ago when it suddenly started asking which program I should open the file with. Choices were like music player, camera, gallery etc., and when I select gallery, I then must select a photo before the video will download...'and be named "filename.jpg", whereas it should be an mp4. It's like a registry error I've seen in win xp, but this isn't windows. Strange.
    Ah. Maybe you clicked something. Go to settings>apps> and reset app preferences.

-Wizzrah, Android Central Ambassador | Sent from my AT&T HTC One X running CodefireX 4.4.2
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Still the same.

It sounds like you don't have a video player app. The default video player app in the Tab 2 is called "Video Player". I use MX Player myself and with the correct HW plug-in ("ARM 7 NEON I think - it will tell you which one to download) and it plays everything. Do you have any videos on the Tab? Do you get the "which program" message when you click on a video from "My Files"? What does it offer you (details please)? Are you downloading the video in the default "Internet" browser (or in another (which?) browser) or in YouTube? Also tell us which Tab 2 you have (Device name) and which Android version (both in "Settings"-"About device").