New to Android and to tablets but have tech knowledge, questions

tstclaserjock

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi folks. I just bought a used Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 off of eBay and I've got questions, it won't be delivered until next week but I wanted to know:

1. How do I find out the highest OS version I can put on it?

2 . How good are generic cables and chargers off of eBay, because I've got a Duracell charger but it won't charge my iPhone, wondered if it will also be a problem with the Tab.

3. It was shipped with OS 4.2.2 on it, how do I find a tutorial to learn how to use that?

4. How do the cases with keyboard stack up, I'm just thinking of getting a really cheap one on eBay, don't really want to invest much in this, I'm still more of a desktop/laptop person than a tablet person.

Ryno1974

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I have a cheap blue tooth keyboard for my 10.1 and it is ok. You get what you pay for, I rarely use it. I find it just as easy to type on screen as use that. A more expensive one might be more worthwhile, but I am not sure.

As for cables, the tab 2 has the proprietary 30 pin (I think?) Cable. It NEEDS to be charged with its designated power block, you can't use a random one. If you try to use a regular phone block it will take 1 weeks to charge the battery.

And I wouldn't worry too much about the os version unless you are going to flash a custom rom on it. The Samsung touch wiz is heavy on that thing so you better like touch wiz! I don't find it a problem, but it's definitely not a stick android device.

We have a tab 1, 2 and 3 and we love them all.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Dr Triffid

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
You can get OEM cables from Amazon for $6 and under. I paid $8 for mine when they still wanted $50 for them in the stores.

Sent from some Android device or another using the AC Forums app.

extraclass

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I have the tab-2 and have no real complaints! Cables from e-bay work fine for me. Because you have to have the special cable to charge the Tab-2 I have several, one for the house, car office.... If you purchase a charger be sure it is for the GT-2. It must supply the necessary current for high speed charging or the charging will be very slow/ Normal charging is about 4 hours! It will charge very slow from a USB port but not if it is turned ON!
You can get an adapter that is called OTG Adapter (on the go). This will allow you to use a standard keyboard or a mouse with the Tab-2. The adapter has a 20 pin plug on one end and a female USB on the other. No drivers needed. On E-bay under 10 dollars! I have a small bluetooth keyboard that works good and I take it with me on trips.
Search this forum for any specific questions. A google search for GALAXY TAB MANUAL will find many online manuals are available. Hope you enjoy your tab as much as I have!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
It didn't come with a cable or charger, it's used and there was no charger or cable available. I ordered a generic off of eBay.

Welcome to Android and the forums.
I have a Tab 2 as well, I just don't really cruise through these forums all that much.

If you want a general guide through the OS, here you go: http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/399060-guide-getting-started-android-2014-a.html

As for cables/chargers I would try here: ShopAndroid - #1 Store for Android Accessories

Android 4.2.2 I would guess has a custom OS on it, but I would have to double check to make sure.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I actually just checked, and yes, 4.2.2 is the most up to date version that it can have. Sorry for any misinformation, I have been running a custom ROM for quite some time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34