Samsung Tab 3 8.0 vs Nexus 7 2nd Gen

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Both are nice tablets. I like 8 inch size. I don't not like physical buttons. Watching a movie and holding tablet in landscape position and not hitting buttons is almost impossible. Also nexus screen is clearly sharper, speakers are better as well on nexus 7

Hurrycanejohn

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
The positive side of physical buttons is that they don't take up space on the screen when viewing something in landscape.

Yes the Nexus is sharper, but for us oldtimers the bigger screen on the Tab 3 8 makes up the difference.

I've been pleased with the speakers on the Tab 3 8, but I'm not an Audiophile, so perhaps the speakers on the Nexus are better sounding.

Does anyone know what speaker brands are used on each tablet?

Posted via Android Central App

RaiderWill

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks John,
For putting this up.. I was lucky enough to return my Nexus-7 2013 on the 15th day.. (Thank You Wal-Mart) and purchase the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0.. It was the BEST MOVE I COULD HAVE EVER MADE.. I love this Tablet! Like you, I don't hold Tablet's 1 inch from my eyeballs to try find flaws in the screen.. and having own both the N7 2013 and now the Tab 3 8.0, I can honestly say.. You See No Difference.. In fact, I would go so far as to say the Blacks are much Deeper on the Tab 3 8.0.. I never did care for the "Gray/Black" look of the N7 2013's screen.. I've Rooted my Tab 3 8.0 and installed a Custom Recovery to make fiddling with exposed framework a better experience..
All is Quite Well with the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0.. well worth the extra $30 for all the features you get over the nicely paper spec'd but Bare Bones Nexus-7 2013.

Last edited:

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I've had Nexus 7 2013 for a week but I returned it because i wanted to go with 32Gb version not available in Canada yet. in the mean time i did pick up Tab 3 8.0.I've read few reviews saying that the hardware is outdated etc. etc. etc.

After playing for a couple of day now I can say that

1. Tab 3 dual core CPU is more than enough for all tasks including gaming. I did try few games (some graphics heavy like dead trigger) and i did not notice any noticeable lag. So on paper Tab 3 is underpowered compared to N7 2013 but in real life the difference is negligible

2. Tab 3 extra 1" screen does make difference

3. Tab 3 hardware keys do not take away from screen space. Nexus 7" software keys are bad idea imo. 7" is already small screen and software keys take additional 5% of the screen just like that

4. Nexus 7 higher resolution is curse and blessing at the same time. N7 screen is sharp but a lot of apps are not optimized for tablet and they look better on Tab 3 with lower resolution screen (example Opera Browser).

5. Tab 3 is very awkward to hold horizontally without accidentally pushing buttons.

6. 16Gb of space is more than plenty of space with micro sd card.

7. Nexus 7 pure Android is way better imo.

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I personally love the new nexus 7. It handles multi tasking very well. The light and thin design is perfect. The display is crisp. Sharp. I haven't spent much time with the tab 3 8 other than in the store. However I hate touch wiz and would end up putting a stock android rom on it anyways. I love stock android. I wouldn't trade my nexus 7 for anything. I think 7 inch is the perfect size.

Sent from my HTC One

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I personally love the new nexus 7. It handles multi tasking very well. The light and thin design is perfect. The display is crisp. Sharp. I haven't spent much time with the tab 3 8 other than in the store. However I hate touch wiz and would end up putting a stock android rom on it anyways. I love stock android. I wouldn't trade my nexus 7 for anything. I think 7 inch is the perfect size.

Sent from my HTC One

I agree stock android is best but 8 inch is better imo

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk 4

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
The answer is simple.
Root It.
Then you can install a custom launcher AND remove any bloatware you deem unworthy and presto... you have your pure android..
AND the 8 Inch Screen.. :)

I ended up going back to new Nexus 7. Physical keys drive me crazy. They are too easy to accidentally push in landscape mode

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Hurrycanejohn

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
After playing for a couple of day now I can say that

3. Tab 3 hardware keys do not take away from screen space. Nexus 7" software keys are bad idea imo. 7" is already small screen and software keys take additional 5% of the screen just like that

I guess number 3 on your original list is more important to me that it was to you. :)

robinhelenehebert

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I too was a Nexus 7 (2013) owner and I returned it and got the Tab 3 8. I love the tab. The Nexus had too many glitches. The video would flash when I was downloading apps. All my games on the tab work great! No complaints.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
you can see my numerous posts on the n7 2013 forum to see my opinion on the matter.

- - - Updated - - -

I think we are starting a war here. the folks over on the n7 forum don't take kindly to this type of talk. lol

Hurrycanejohn

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Brosko

The folks who own these forums are in love with the Nexus 7 and pretty much anything Google does. Notice the the Tab 3 line is not even mentioned in their " Buying an Android during the holidays", yet my local Costco sold out every Tab 3 7, 8 and 10.1 model they had in stock a week before Christmas. Too funny

Hurrycanejohn

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
you can see my numerous posts on the n7 2013 forum to see my opinion on the matter.

- - - Updated - - -

I think we are starting a war here. the folks over on the n7 forum don't take kindly to this type of talk. lol

Ha, I read some of your posts in the Nexus 7 forum.....you are a brave man. :)

techitrucker

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Personally i found the N7 worthless in landscape mode when wearing my sunglasses. Went completely invisible which is something the rest of the industry seemed to figure out when we where still using flip phone's. Since i primarily use my tablet to run Copilot Truck in my vehicle the N7 just wouldn't work. Personally i can't tell the difference in sharpness with my bad eyes but the Tab 3 8.0 definitely has less washout and more contrast and i like that i can put a 64gb micro sd in it. Decent cases are definitely a problem though. Seems like all the manufacturers decided to concentrate on the Note 8.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie