Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Samsung Tab 3 8.0 vs Nexus 7 2nd Gen

Interesting comparision!

Got a chance to play with the new Nexus 7 this weekend and compare it to my Tab 3 8.0.....I thought this video review is a fairly accurate assessment of the two tablets.

Posted via Android Central App
    RaiderWill likes this.

Global Posts
    2,443 Global Posts

Default Re: Samsung Tab 3 8.0 vs Nexus 7 2nd Gen

Both are nice tablets. I like 8 inch size. I don't not like physical buttons. Watching a movie and holding tablet in landscape position and not hitting buttons is almost impossible. Also nexus screen is clearly sharper, speakers are better as well on nexus 7
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

The positive side of physical buttons is that they don't take up space on the screen when viewing something in landscape.

Yes the Nexus is sharper, but for us oldtimers the bigger screen on the Tab 3 8 makes up the difference.

I've been pleased with the speakers on the Tab 3 8, but I'm not an Audiophile, so perhaps the speakers on the Nexus are better sounding.

Does anyone know what speaker brands are used on each tablet?

Thanks John,
    For putting this up.. I was lucky enough to return my Nexus-7 2013 on the 15th day.. (Thank You Wal-Mart) and purchase the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0.. It was the BEST MOVE I COULD HAVE EVER MADE.. I love this Tablet! Like you, I don't hold Tablet's 1 inch from my eyeballs to try find flaws in the screen.. and having own both the N7 2013 and now the Tab 3 8.0, I can honestly say.. You See No Difference.. In fact, I would go so far as to say the Blacks are much Deeper on the Tab 3 8.0.. I never did care for the "Gray/Black" look of the N7 2013's screen.. I've Rooted my Tab 3 8.0 and installed a Custom Recovery to make fiddling with exposed framework a better experience..
    All is Quite Well with the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0.. well worth the extra $30 for all the features you get over the nicely paper spec'd but Bare Bones Nexus-7 2013.
    Last edited by RaiderWill; 09-02-2013 at 02:28 PM.

Global Posts
    2,443 Global Posts

I've had Nexus 7 2013 for a week but I returned it because i wanted to go with 32Gb version not available in Canada yet. in the mean time i did pick up Tab 3 8.0.I've read few reviews saying that the hardware is outdated etc. etc. etc.

After playing for a couple of day now I can say that

1. Tab 3 dual core CPU is more than enough for all tasks including gaming. I did try few games (some graphics heavy like dead trigger) and i did not notice any noticeable lag. So on paper Tab 3 is underpowered compared to N7 2013 but in real life the difference is negligible

2. Tab 3 extra 1" screen does make difference

3. Tab 3 hardware keys do not take away from screen space. Nexus 7" software keys are bad idea imo. 7" is already small screen and software keys take additional 5% of the screen just like that

4. Nexus 7 higher resolution is curse and blessing at the same time. N7 screen is sharp but a lot of apps are not optimized for tablet and they look better on Tab 3 with lower resolution screen (example Opera Browser).

5. Tab 3 is very awkward to hold horizontally without accidentally pushing buttons.

6. 16Gb of space is more than plenty of space with micro sd card.

7. Nexus 7 pure Android is way better imo.

Global Posts
    535 Global Posts

I personally love the new nexus 7. It handles multi tasking very well. The light and thin design is perfect. The display is crisp. Sharp. I haven't spent much time with the tab 3 8 other than in the store. However I hate touch wiz and would end up putting a stock android rom on it anyways. I love stock android. I wouldn't trade my nexus 7 for anything. I think 7 inch is the perfect size.

Sent from my HTC One

Global Posts
    2,443 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ne0ne View Post
    I personally love the new nexus 7. It handles multi tasking very well. The light and thin design is perfect. The display is crisp. Sharp. I haven't spent much time with the tab 3 8 other than in the store. However I hate touch wiz and would end up putting a stock android rom on it anyways. I love stock android. I wouldn't trade my nexus 7 for anything. I think 7 inch is the perfect size.

Sent from my HTC One
    I agree stock android is best but 8 inch is better imo

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk 4

Quote Originally Posted by bitek View Post
    I agree stock android is best but 8 inch is better imo
    The answer is simple.
    Root It.
    Then you can install a custom launcher AND remove any bloatware you deem unworthy and presto... you have your pure android..
    AND the 8 Inch Screen.. :-)
    Thanked by:
    bitek likes this.

Global Posts
    2,443 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RaiderWill View Post
    The answer is simple.
    Root It.
    Then you can install a custom launcher AND remove any bloatware you deem unworthy and presto... you have your pure android..
    AND the 8 Inch Screen.. :-)
    I ended up going back to new Nexus 7. Physical keys drive me crazy. They are too easy to accidentally push in landscape mode

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by bitek View Post

After playing for a couple of day now I can say that

3. Tab 3 hardware keys do not take away from screen space. Nexus 7" software keys are bad idea imo. 7" is already small screen and software keys take additional 5% of the screen just like that

I guess number 3 on your original list is more important to me that it was to you. :-)

I too was a Nexus 7 (2013) owner and I returned it and got the Tab 3 8. I love the tab. The Nexus had too many glitches. The video would flash when I was downloading apps. All my games on the tab work great! No complaints.

you can see my numerous posts on the n7 2013 forum to see my opinion on the matter.

- - - Updated - - -

I think we are starting a war here. the folks over on the n7 forum don't take kindly to this type of talk. lol
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Brosko

The folks who own these forums are in love with the Nexus 7 and pretty much anything Google does. Notice the the Tab 3 line is not even mentioned in their " Buying an Android during the holidays", yet my local Costco sold out every Tab 3 7, 8 and 10.1 model they had in stock a week before Christmas. Too funny

Thanked by:
    brosko 

All of us who lurk in this section of the site are kind of like the bottom feeders then? Hilarious!
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

We are not worthy ! :-)

The proof is in the pudding. So far so good.

17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Quote Originally Posted by brosko View Post
    you can see my numerous posts on the n7 2013 forum to see my opinion on the matter.

- - - Updated - - -

I think we are starting a war here. the folks over on the n7 forum don't take kindly to this type of talk. lol
    Ha, I read some of your posts in the Nexus 7 forum.....you are a brave man. :-)

Thanked by:
    brosko 

I'll probably soon be banned from this site.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Quote Originally Posted by brosko View Post
    I'll probably soon be banned from this site.
    Nah, since you actually own a Nexus 7 (2013), you will be given a reprieve....perhaps community service.

Personally i found the N7 worthless in landscape mode when wearing my sunglasses. Went completely invisible which is something the rest of the industry seemed to figure out when we where still using flip phone's. Since i primarily use my tablet to run Copilot Truck in my vehicle the N7 just wouldn't work. Personally i can't tell the difference in sharpness with my bad eyes but the Tab 3 8.0 definitely has less washout and more contrast and i like that i can put a 64gb micro sd in it. Decent cases are definitely a problem though. Seems like all the manufacturers decided to concentrate on the Note 8.

Some really interesting insights on this thread. I'm all over the place on this. I have a Nexus 5 (awesome!!) so the 7 was an obvious choice to replace the iPad Mini my wife and daughter seem to have pinched from me! I spent a week going in to my local retailer to have a play and every time came away with the feeling that 7 inches is just not big enough. I had a full sized iPad once and hated it and the Mini at 8 inches has felt bang on the money for the last year. I want Android as my second tablet though. At 8 inches there isn't much to consider. The LG G Pad seems the obvious one and if I were selling my iPad Mini I would do it, but at 240 it's too much money for me this time around. The Samsung seems a good compromise but I read a ton of reviews about poor performance due to it only being dual core, so I wrote off the idea. Reading this thread makes me feel that I should reconsider. God knows. I wish Google would bring out an 8 inch Asus Nexus then all would be well!

I already had a galaxy S4 and a tab 2 10.1 so didn't want to overdo. Sammy as much as I love them. That's why I got a nexus 7. The N7 is very simple compared to my tab 2 and faster, it also runs kit kat. However I think the tab 8 has more advantages such as expandable memory, S window and better stock apps. It also has a bigger screen. Again I also have an iPad mini so already had an 8 inch tablet. The nexus 7 had more to offer me based on the devices I already had, but if you exclude all of that the tab 3 is the better all round device Imo.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Posted from my iPad mini.
    brosko likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurrycanejohn View Post
    Brosko

The folks who own these forums are in love with the Nexus 7 and pretty much anything Google does. Notice the the Tab 3 line is not even mentioned in their " Buying an Android during the holidays", yet my local Costco sold out every Tab 3 7, 8 and 10.1 model they had in stock a week before Christmas. Too funny

I have a nexus 7 and I think it's pretty good but I get annoyed at all the love the tech sites give the nexus devices, and this year the HTC One. They seem to want to slag off Samsung at every opportunity, but there is a reason why Samsung are outselling all the other OEM's right now, it's because they make the best devices. Nexus devices don't even sell that much anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Posted from my iPad mini.

I have both and love them equally. They both have there ups and downs. Love the 8 inch screen though. Can't go wrong with either.

Hi everyone, im new to this forum which i found while i was trying to decide which tablet to buy.
    i already have an iPad but i wanted a smaller and more portable tablet on the go beside my iPhone & i thought this would be a chance to put apple leash aside; so i excluded iPad mini. After a brief search i decided to get either Google Nexus 7 2nd gen. or Samsung Tab 3 8.0 as i found both to be the best tablets out there around that screen size but with approx. same prices; it wasnt exactly an easy decision. Im an avid IOS user with no previous android experience so i read alot of reviews & comparisons out there & watched some YouTube videos trying to decide; and i wanted to share what i think after all:
    1. Nexus7 has a better processor & an extra 500 MB of ram.
    (better multi tasking & gaming experience espcially while playing dense graphics ones)
    2. Nexus7 has a better display.
    (though i couldnt tell from the videos & also couldnt tell when i went to the store to check both tablets! )
    3. Tab3 8.0 has a better overall memory plan with its SD memory slot.
    (very valuable option while i recall the times i had to delete stuff from my 64 GB iPad to add new stuff! )
    4. Nexus7 comes with stock android vs Touchwiz0.2 for Tab3.
    (i cant tell which is better but seems like stock android is more prefered though)
    5. Tab3 has bigger screen size that really felt more than an extra inch, maybe its because the touch keys are taking a bit from Nexus7.
    6. Tab3 has S-voice which is apple's siri, i guess.
    7. Tab3 has better codecs & Camera sofware out of the box. (could be remotely controlled with your voice)
    8. Tab3 has better keyboard with numerical row on it while Nexus7 has an iPhone-like keyboard. (not sure if u can install another later! )
    9. Tab3 has a two window display, so i can use two apps at the same time on my screen, now thats SUPREME multi tasking :-)
    10. Tab3 has a nice editable shortcut bar on the side of the screen. (also not sure if u can install this later on the Nexus7)
    11. Tab3 gives you a free 50 GB dropbox account.
    12. Tab3 looks way better than Nexus. (at least for me! )

I think from 5:12 makes Tab3 the better choice, again, at least for me.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast