Ebook Readers?

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site

mlauzon

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Don't know that there is a "universal" ebook reader. For .epub and .pdf I use Aldiko (there's a free version and premium version available). Here is a wiki page which has a nice chart laid out covering the various ebook reader apps for Android and which formats they support:

Comparison of Android e-book reader software - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I came across that eReader & Wikipedia article before making my OP last night. Aldiko doesn't sound like what I want, however, I found Cool Reader:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...apps/details?id=org.coolreader&token=GIZLqN-H

Because CR is Open Souce, it's only a matter of time till it supports .djvu/.oeb/.pdf/.docx formats.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site

mlauzon

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Nice find. I had never heard of Cool Reader before. I've also heard FB Reader mentioned a few times in another forum.

I found it initially in an article -- not the Wikipedia article -- about eReaders, so I tracked it down, was able to download the APK from the SourceForge page, because I don't have WiFi so I couldn't download it from the Play store.

I am liking it so far, but it has a learning curve, although I am just using the basics of it, don't see the point going into all the things it can do.

mlauzon

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
So, I've installed Aldiko, because I started having issues with Cool Reader, as it started taking longer to render pages after opening the app, plus I couldn't figure out how to import the eBooks and had to go through the file explorer everytime; something I didn't have to do with Aldiko.

lowboydrvr

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I also had tried Cool Reader early on but then ended up switching to Aldiko and have been using it for the last several years.

mlauzon

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Cool Reader needs more work, and they need to create a tutorial on how to use it effectively. So, I'll use Aldiko for now until something better comes along.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Another suggestion is Moon+ Reader (?). Saw this on another forum. Never tried it but may have to check it out.

mlauzon

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Trying Moon+ Reader right now, haven't read anything in it yet, just opened it and got it to the same page of the book that I am reading with Aldiko, there are differences that I saw already.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I briefly looked at Aldiko awhile back and it looked good. Let us know what reader works best for you.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

tablet007

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
hello ,i bought samsung tablet 3 from china mainland.it hasnt got google play market instead it has got hi market which doesn?t work by the way.i tried to download google play market and i was able to.now it doesn?t open.i tried all means of downloading it in useful way but i couldn?t.so anybody can please help me out here!!!

Last edited: