Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy Tab 3 7" and USB OTG

OK I really hope someone here can give me a definitive answer to what seems to be a relatively easy question, but alas is not.

I bought the Galaxy Tab 3 7" from Sprint, great deal and wanted a cell network tablet. One of the features I wanted, and asked about, was its ability to support hooking a flash drive to it, via the microUSB charging port via an OTG USB adapter. Of course Sprint said yes you can.

OK, got the device, mostly love it, ordered the OTG adapter, arrived today. Works GREAT on my Samsung Galaxy s4 phone, but NO RESPONSE at all on the Tab 3

I called Samsung , very dissapointing "advanced" tech support, tells me , I need to get "drivers" for it to work? WHAT??? I have never heard talk of drivers on an Android device. Unless Im missing something, thats an old WinBlows term where you tore your hairs out, finding the illusive drivers for various devices you wanted to work on a WinBlows machine. I tried to challenge the samsung dude, but he was just not to be convinced he was not knowing what he was talking about. I repeatedly asked if the Tab 3, supports OTG, and he kept talking about drivers.

So.................. Can someone verify that the Tab 3, in fact does NOT support this? Or IF it does, what would I have to do to make it work? And any feedback about the "drivers" conversation

Lastly, I am in the market for a new 10" tablet and am seriously looking at the new Note 10.1 2014, but am somewhat weary of getting another Samnsung product, with that level of support. Aslo, do you know IF the Tab 3 does NOT support USB OTG, Does, the Note 10.1 2014?

Thanks in advance for anybody who can shed some intelligent technical info on this.
    Im a Teldy a TEchnical oLDY . My love of the telephone started in 1952, when I got to talk to my grandma as seen in my avatar. .

Default Re: Galaxy Tab 3 7" and USB OTG

Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Interesting, Thanks Adamsberg. I wonder if Samsung doesnt know, or DO know, and wont share this info with their consumers. Either way,. rather dissapointing. Making me rethink the Galaxy note. I like the Nexus line, but they dont have any storage expansion like a microSD slot. I wonder if they support the USB OTG?
    Im a Teldy a TEchnical oLDY . My love of the telephone started in 1952, when I got to talk to my grandma as seen in my avatar. .
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Think I just got my answer , and it was NOT from the either stupid or dishonest samsung techs.

Here is an app that determines IF your device supports USB OTG Host. It worked FINE and picked it right up on my Galaxy s4, but NOT on the Tab 3

Hope this helps someone else

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ostdiagnostics
    Thanked by 2:

I have purchased several OTG adapters that states they work w/my Samsung galaxy tab 3. And they do not, I was talked into buying this silly tablet by a Sprint Rep. And it is the worst investment I ever made 2 year contract for what...Anyway I have since purchased the 10.1 tablet and it has been doing fine so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacqueline Brown1 View Post
    I have purchased several OTG adapters that states they work w/my Samsung galaxy tab 3. And they do not, I was talked into buying this silly tablet by a Sprint Rep. And it is the worst investment I ever made 2 year contract for what...Anyway I have since purchased the 10.1 tablet and it has been doing fine so far.
    I think the point of confusion is that the higher end Galaxy tab 3 devices (I.e., the 8 and 10-inch tab 3's) do support usb otg but the 7-inch variants do not. So when third party usb otg adapter vendors advertise tab 3 compatibility, the [imho] stupid Samsung device naming convention of lumping devices into a single family (e.g., tab 3) with the implication being that the only functional difference between them is screen size when in fact there are more significant feature differnces between these devices just creates confusion for the consumer. In fact, there are significant functional differences between the the Wifi and Sprint LTE versions of the 7-inch tab 3 beyond the 4g radio including the processor, amount of RAM, and OS version. BTW AC isn't helping here by lumping all the tab 3 variants under a single tab 3 sub-forum, but I digress...

Sent from my SM-T217S using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by vferrari View Post
    I think the point of confusion is that the higher end Galaxy tab 3 devices (I.e., the 8 and 10-inch tab 3's) do support usb otg but the 7-inch variants do not. So when third party usb otg adapter vendors advertise tab 3 compatibility, the [imho] stupid Samsung device naming convention of lumping devices into a single family (e.g., tab 3) with the implication being that the only functional difference between them is screen size when in fact there are more significant feature differnces between these devices just creates confusion for the consumer. In fact, there are significant functional differences between the the Wifi and Sprint LTE versions of the 7-inch tab 3 beyond the 4g radio including the processor, amount of RAM, and OS version. BTW AC isn't helping here by lumping all the tab 3 variants under a single tab 3 sub-forum, but I digress...

Sent from my SM-T217S using AC Forums mobile app
    Agreed. I'm hoping some of these missing g features come with the Kitkat update.

Sent from my Sprint Tab 3
    From the world's most fabulous Crack-Droid!

Quote Originally Posted by axllebeer View Post
    Agreed. I'm hoping some of these missing g features come with the Kitkat update.

And they didn't. So sad. Why is it that my S4 Mini will do screen mirroring with the same processor and RAM yet my LTE Tab 3 won't?

From the world's most fabulous Crack-Droid!

I got the exact problem with the tab 4 7" ... coincidentally I also have the S4 which works fine. I was trying to use the tab as a video monitor to control my camera ... for which the s4 is a bit small. Anyway... lot's of research told me that the 7" tabs are cheapen down .. not just by a inch of monitor. Supposedly, the 8 inch and 10 support OTG. Also read that you can root the tablet and get OTG Helper app which is supposed to be all you need. But it's very difficult to root this tablet .. especially with 4.4.2 .. .so I think I am giving up on Samsung ... getting a cheap tablet. If it doesn't work at least I won't spend too much.