Anyone making good use of the IR Blaster in the Tab 3?

Bob Dolan

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I am looking into picking up a Tab 3 8 inch to replace my Nexus 7 and one of the features that is driving this choice is the fact that the Tab has an IR Blaster. My Logitech remote is dying and I need a better way to control all of my AV devices. I was hoping that type of control was possible using the Tab 3, so I hoping to get some input as to whether anyone is having any luck using the Tab3 for this purpose.

Last edited:

techitrucker

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Works okay. It isn't going to replace a Harmony. ..... doesn't support enough devices and I don't see a way to map buttons but what it does do it does well. I haven't looked but there may be more full featured remotes in the Play Store.

Posted via Android Central App

Smokey Mc Pot

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
The oeiginal renote works flawlessly!

In the play store you can find the "Smart Remote" from the S4 as well. And that remote supports endless devices. The developer is very fast to help and to add requested devices compatibility and you can also create a remote to your own taste.
;)My favorite toy!!

Magthorn

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
I bought the Tab 3.8 for the specific reason to replace my old (failing) Harmony. I added Touchsquid, which has been tremendous with all my HT components and their forum has very quickly gotten me through a few rough spots. I recently added a Matricom Midnight MX2 to my HT mix (to run XBMC primarily) and the Tab 3.8 with Matricom is working with it as well.

So MY take is that it was a great move up from the Harmony, though if you have some strange components be aware, the Tab 3.8 has no ability to 'learn' codes from another remote which is one advantage the Harmony has over it.

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
The Peel Remote software that Samsung included on my Tab 2 10.1 was almost entirely worthless and the IR transmitter in the tablet exceedingly weak.

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Well I don't have the tab 8.0, but I've got the Galaxy s4 and use the IR blaster on that through the watchon app. It works really well I use it to control my TV, cable box, roku, Apple TV and blu ray player.

Posted via my Galaxy s4

Smokey Mc Pot

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
From its description: That does not appear to be an IR remote app?

(Samsung WatchOn) is a IR remote control.
And in my opinion is flawless and simple.

(Smart Remote) from the play store is the 2nd best for me, as it can learn new codes very easily and you can create your own remote to your own taste.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
(Samsung WatchOn) is a IR remote control.
And in my opinion is flawless and simple.
*snort* "This app is incompatible with all of your devices." One of those being a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
shake.gif

Samsung strikes again!

(Smart Remote) from the play store is the 2nd best for me, as it can learn new codes very easily and you can create your own remote to your own taste.
Must be something other than the Peel Smart Remote. Out of my five IR-controlled HT devices (TV, BD player, DVD recorder, receiver and CD player): The only thing it would do is a few things on my Samsung TV and turn the power on/off on my Yamaha receiver. It would do nothing for anything else, and it's TV guide was laughable--giving us options for local stations that did not exist and leaving out stations that do.

Like I said: The IR emitter in my Tab 2 10.1 is so weak it doesn't really matter, anyway. Nice tablet (after replacing Samsung's bloat- and vulnerability-infested firmware with CM). Lousy "IR blaster."

Smokey Mc Pot

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
*snort* "This app is incompatible with all of your devices." One of those being a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 http://www.LinxNet.com/misc/smilies/shake.gif

Samsung strikes again!

Must be something other than the Peel Smart Remote. Out of my five IR-controlled HT devices (TV, BD player, DVD recorder, receiver and CD player): The only thing it would do is a few things on my Samsung TV and turn the power on/off on my Yamaha receiver. It would do nothing for anything else, and it's TV guide was laughable--giving us options for local stations that did not exist and leaving out stations that do.

Like I said: The IR emitter in my Tab 2 10.1 is so weak it doesn't really matter, anyway. Nice tablet (after replacing Samsung's bloat- and vulnerability-infested firmware with CM). Lousy "IR blaster."

Snort to you two!

:sly: Are you are unlucky or just incapable?

-The Samsung watch on is perfect for satellite receivers like sky.
I'm a sky costumer and i'm delighted with the results on my (Tab 3 8.0 ) as it does all that is necessary.

-The (smart remote for htc and samsung) is not the (peel remote) that you are talking about...

- The peel remote control sucks and I think is intended for the USA market more than the European markets...
:cool: it sucks nevertheless.

-The smart remote for htc and samsung is perfect for creating personal remotes but you will need to work and learn first on how to create your personal remotes. :confused: As unfortunately some people will not have the brain power necessary to achieve that...

:D is working like a charm to me on my tab 3. lol

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Snort to you two!

:sly: Are you are unlucky or just incapable?
What does my luck or capability have to do with the fact that the app is incompatible with all my devices, one of which is actually a Samsung device (and not all that old, either)?

I wasn't "*snort*"ing at you, but at Samsung. I would've thought the comment following that would've made that clear?

-The Samsung watch on is perfect for satellite receivers like sky.
I'm a sky costumer and i'm delighted with the results on my (Tab 3 8.0 ) as it does all that is necessary.
Wonderful. For you. But it doesn't run on many devices, including all of mine.

-The (smart remote for htc and samsung) is not the (peel remote) that you are talking about...
Would you be so kind as to point to the exact app, in the app store, to which you're referring? Enter "smart remote" and you get 250+ entries.

Smokey Mc Pot

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Sorry I didn't post the link earlier.
Here the link:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...pps/details?id=com.remotefairy&token=_mT6qtFM

The developer is very good and helpful.
One of my tv's was not included in the list and all I had to do was contacted the developer and they added my tv to the list in less than 24 hours.

Also if you test and create 3 or 4 remotes that are not fully compatible to the desired appliances, than you can create a personal custom built remote and use only the compatible commands from the other remotes by creating or removing the buttons from the controller as you wish.

It takes a bit of work to create the perfect setup, but is worthy for creating personalized remotes.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
That app looks interesting.

Just occurred to me, yesterday, tho: I've replaced Samsung's bug- and vulnerability-infested ROM with CM, and the 10.1.3 release does not support the IR blaster.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phone user